Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

If you had to choose between owning either an iPad or Mac, which would you go for?

• iPad

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • Mac

Votes: 84 70.0%

• Total voters

xxray

macrumors 68040
Jul 27, 2013
Mac. For years, I wanted to go iPad only and make the iPad Pro my one and only device. However, I’ve recently had a pretty big lifestyle change, and I maybe use my iPad only a couple hours per week now. I use Windows 10 at work (no choice), and have a couple hours of work to do each night when I come home which is really only possible on a Mac (many windows, tabs, spreadsheets, documents, external display support, file management).

I wouldn't be able to work even as close to as productively on an iPad as I do now on a Mac. I’ve been finding my Mac more powerful and utilitarian more than ever recently for the things I need it for. I realize that iPad has a whole set of capabilities that aren’t available on the Mac, but those capabilities aren’t really needed in my workflow, and the features I do need only are available on the Mac.

Unless I have another lifestyle change, I’m going to find it hard to justify buying a new iPad once my current one dies. Or maybe I’ll just get the basic iPad or find a heavily discounted Air or Pro instead. It’s just hard to justify hundreds of dollars for a device I really don’t need and am using less than ever, but I still really enjoy the form factor and the Apple Pencil in particular.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Well, when I replied you did not have a poll up. All you stated was “iPad vs Mac, what’s a computer?”

I see, sorry about that.

Also, these posts are nearly useless without your use case.

I have both an iPad and Mac, so don’t really have a use case for the question.

Or even a why behind your question.

The only reason I’m asking is to see how many forum users (that see this post and vote) would choose an iPad over a Mac.

Last edited:

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
There are so many missing variables at play for this question.

Sure I’d take a Mac Pro over an iPad Air. But then what if my use case is portability. Now we’re talking MacBook vs iPad. Well... which ones? Air vs Air? And for what use? Drawing tools? I’ll take the iPad. Programming. I’ll take the Mac.

I have a hard time answering the poll without more context.

Reactions: Digitalguy

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Sure I’d take a Mac Pro over an iPad Air. But then what if my use case is portability. Now we’re talking MacBook vs iPad. Well... which ones? Air vs Air? And for what use? Drawing tools? I’ll take the iPad. Programming. I’ll take the Mac.
If you can only own and use either an iPad or Mac for a year (when there is no pandemic) which one would you pick?

Reactions: craigc_

maternidad

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2021
Also, these posts are nearly useless without your use case. Or even a why behind your question.
Details on the poster‘s usage are not very useful to know which is most favorable for you to have. Finding out is the intention.

I would expect you to know the answers to those questions.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I need Windows to work, so to complement my Windows laptop (Surface Book 2), I would choose an iPad...(not much use for a Macbook)
If could not have my Windows device and only have one thing, I'd have to take an Intel Mac (to be able to run Windows), which would be a big downgrade over what I use.
To be honest even a M1 Mac would be a downgrade at this point, in terms of screen size, lack of touch and pen and aspect ratio.

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
I'd have to take an Intel Mac (to be able to run Windows), which would be a big downgrade over what I use.
Will that change when Parallels (currently in technical preview) and Fusion support Apple Silicon? Windows on ARM in preview now supports x64 emulation. There should be a stable release soon.

Would you go for an Apple Silicon Mac with touch and Apple Pencil support?

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
If you can only own and use either an iPad or Mac for a year (when there is no pandemic) which one would you pick?
That’s the same question without any additional context. But sure... I’ll play...

I would take a Mac. Only reason is that I can’t deploy iOS apps to the App Store without one. I assume I’d still have my iPhone for on the go and I’d have my Windows PC for work and serious gaming.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'd go with the iPad. My MacBook is 99% unnecessary. I have one because I want one but for what I do I don't need one. The only time I use my Mac for something that can only be done on a Mac is to transfer my music from iTunes to my iPhone. This is done once a year when I upgrade my phone. Otherwise everything I do on my Mac can be done on my iPad.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I've had Macs and iPads for years and if I could have only one it would be a Mac -- specifically a MacBook Pro for portability AND benefits of using MacOS. I do a lot of photography and need to process and edit my images on a larger screen than my iPad provides, and I choose to use editing software that is not available for the iPad. I have more control over the images on a Mac than I would on an iPad.

That said, an iPad is very useful, too, in its own way -- I enjoy using mine in bed for browsing websites and such, and out on the deck in nice weather (an external BT keyboard makes it easy to type responses to forum posts, too). When traveling I take along my small iPad Mini 5 as well as my 12" MacBook. Both get used frequently during a trip.

Reactions: MevetS

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Do prefer Windows, or need it for gaming or work applications that aren’t available on macOS?
Even if the question is not directed to me, as far as I am concerned I don't have a strong preference for either MacOS or Windows, I like both (I have an old Macbook air which I use basically only for youtube in the kitchen), but if my client's software could run on Mac I would still get a Windows PC because of touch and pen input (I do quite a bit of annotating for my work too) and I love the 3:2 aspect ratio.
Now if Mac supported touch and pencil, then the advantage of a Windows device would be significantly reduced.... And if it did it would probably be a convertible Mac too...
In that case I would consider a Mac, even if it would be tough to give up the 3:2 aspect ratio.... So I am not sure, but I would consider it... (but I doubt Apple will put touch and pencil on Macs anytime soon, because that could hurt the iPad sales).

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
I’d still have my iPhone for on the go and I’d have my Windows PC for work and serious gaming.
You can keep the iPhone, but not the Windows PC (for this discussion)

You can remotely access another Windows or Linux cloud computer.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Will that change when Parallels (currently in technical preview) and Fusion support Apple Silicon? Windows on ARM in preview now supports x64 emulation. There should be a stable release soon.

Would you go for an Apple Silicon Mac with touch and Apple Pencil support?
I answered the second question above. As to the first, I would only if Windows on Arm can support Dropbox and at this point it can't, because even with 64 bit emulation it does not run and Dropbox has no plans to support Windows on Arm natively at the moment.... Now maybe there is a workaround, running Dropbox on the Mac and Parallels at the same time (I don't know if it's possible yet), so it depends, but Windows on ARM doesn't seem ready for prime time yet... but if it works well at some point why not, but then there are the other "IFs", which is quite a lot of things needed for Apple to get Windows users to move to Macs...

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You can keep the iPhone, but not the Windows PC (for this discussion)

You can remotely access another Windows or Linux cloud computer.
Remotely accessing Windows is what I do when only take my iPad pro with me....
But if I know I'll have to work extensively, then I need a laptop since the iPad pro 11in screen is too small and the 12.9in (with keyboard) is too big and heavy to make sense instead of a laptop
PS having said that the 11in work great with the 3:2 aspect ratio

Reactions: secretk

mystery hill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2021
Now maybe there is a workaround, running Dropbox on the Mac and Parallels at the same time
Could you not run Dropbox on macOS and access those files from the VM using Parallels? I think it supports folder sharing between the host and guest VM.

I understand what you mean — there are too many workarounds at this stage and you need your work apps to run with stability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.