iPad warranty what 2 get??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by GoFastJames, Apr 5, 2010.

1. GoFastJames macrumors newbie

Looking at the 3 warrantys out that I found.
    squaretrade warranty
    Bestbuy
    Apple care

squaretrade warranty has a good price vs Apple care and best buy.

Any one look in 2 this?

2. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Well, with me being retired Navy, my wife bought our iPad at the local Navy Exchange and we were able to purchase a 4-year warranty for only $89. I was kind of surprised that AppleCare only covers two years vice three, so I'm pretty happy that I was able to get the longer deal with the Navy Exchange. As to your question, I'm sorry but can't give you any real advice, but look at what's covered with the squaretrade warranty as compared to AppleCare and the Best Buy plan - there's more to the warranty than just price.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you have a credit card? Many offer a warranty program when you use it to purchase. Mine doubles the Apple 1 year warranty.

4. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

I wonder how difficult it is to make a claim with the extended warranty program. If it's easy, that's a perfect solution.

5. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

This is another thing I'm considering before going and buying today.

6. melman101 macrumors 68030

I purchased two years of Squaretrade for my iPad. It was $96 dollars and covers accidental damage. Not too bad if you ask me :D:D:apple:

7. GoFastJames thread starter macrumors newbie

My amex gives me extra year. but its not going to cover if i drop it or spill some thing on it.
    I am leaning tords Squaretrade.

8. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

Squaretrade will cover drops and spills for 3 years if you want which is just freaking awesome!! There is a 30 day grace period before drop and spill coverage kicks in. They usually don't replace or repair an item, they simply send you the full value check and you send them the damaged product.

9. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I tried a third party warranty service and was disappointed. They made repair decisions based on their own criteria and not Apples, and then sent the laptop to Apple for repair. I will now only buy AppleCare. But... from the previous posts the other will cover accidental damage including drops. Something to think about.

10. GoFastJames thread starter macrumors newbie

I just did the 2 year with square trade.
    I called and told them I had a 20% more off code.
    And it would not work so they gave me more off.
    I got the 2 year for 79.99
    If any one wants that code to get more off... its

tax2010

11. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Thanks for the additional code - just bought my Squaretrade warranty for $80 :)

12. nippyjun macrumors 65816

just got my 2 year warranty for 79.99.

Great deal. Can transfer if needed and can cancel and get prorated $ back at any time .I believe you actually get 100% back if cancel within 60 days.

There is no deductible for the accidental damage portion like they used to have.

13. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

I've been offered a SquareTrade warranty when I buy something on eBay, but how do you get it otherwise, do you just go to their website and buy it?

14. tivoboy macrumors 68030

the square trade warranty is only 79$ today for two years, FULL replacement for drop, break, spills, etc.

not a bad deal if you ask me

TAX2010 is the code

15. Mpalmieri1203 macrumors member

Yes and then you fax them or mail them the purchase receipt

16. saireea macrumors newbie

saireea

At Best Buy you can get accidental coverage...this would cover if you have minor water damage or a cracked screen. They do not cover intentional damage. That means if you threw it down or ran it over they would know.

I work at Best Buy this is how I know this.

Apple does not cover accidental damage.

Employee's were not permitted to buy iPads during the launch so I was one of the many pre sale's though Apple.

What is nice about Apple's protection is most of the work is done in house. Best Buy does not fix the product in the house but instead sends it away. I am a big supporter of Apple Care, however, if you are rough on your iPad the accidental from Best Buy may be worth it.

17. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Yes, you can and there's instructions for ebay purchases right on the quote calculator. Once you get on their list you will get offers frequently by email.

I couldn't pass up today's 35% off offer. That's a pretty good value.

18. rtmadden macrumors regular

Just placed my order for the 2 year SquareTrade warranty so when my iPad arrives from China, I'm good to go.

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

How exactly did you handle that? Did you use today's date as a purchase date? I tried to post-date the sale for a couple of weeks down the line and it wouldn't let me. I just hate the thought of getting dinged for the time I don't actually have it.

20. rtmadden macrumors regular

I placed my online order on 4/04/2010 and dated my warranty as such. Per the SquareTrade service agreement I received, "if your item is new and has a US manufacturer's warranty of at least 90 days, this service agreement begins the day you purchased the item". Technically however, as someone else already noted, the accidental clause doesn't take effect until 30 days after the date of purchase. So, I'm still going to have to wear mittens and use my iPad while laying on the floor for a few weeks.

21. iLiveUdie macrumors regular

22. Aranince macrumors 65816

23. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

The only issue I have is that the receipt you submit will be for the day it was charged when they finally get it out the door. That will be pretty darn near a month lost which leaves you mittenless because, by your own statement, your paperwork says 4/4. I ordered mine on day one but that's not the day I'll pay for it. If I actually put the date of order I'd have lost nearly two months by the time it gets here.

24. rtmadden macrumors regular

According to my online invoice via the Apple Online Store, my purchase date is 4/4/2010. The Apple invoice also lists the actual invoice date and date that the product was shipped. My credit card also lists a transaction for the same day in the amount listed on the invoice. I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a month lost". Having placed the order on 4/4, my iPad is already prepared for shipment and likely has already shipped tonight or will tomorrow morning.

25. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I ordered a 3G on Day 1 of pre-ordering. If I used the order date (which has yet to be billed) I will have lost close to two months of warranty by the time it gets here. You obviously ordered a WiFi. I did not. They let you order a 3G warranty but won't let you set a future date for the purchase. Those of us waiting for a 3G will be waiting at least a couple more weeks. We "ordered" our 3G models back on March 12. I assumed you ordered a 3G and weren't just late for the show on a WiFi.