iPad iPad, You've Failed Me One Time Too Many Times

Discussion in 'iPad' started by $MacUser$, Nov 30, 2013.

1. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

So my iPad 4, which I've owned for less than a year, crashes out of Safari multiple times per day. I upgraded thinking the increased RAM would mitigate such unacceptable failures but lo, here I am a short time later cursing the thing for crashing out of browser during a critical moment and losing two hours of work.

What gives, man? Does Apple expect me to shell out six or seven hundred dollars on an annual basis just so I can perform basic tasks like email, word processing and, god forbid, internet browsing with more than one tab open? Someone please tell me this is a temporary and egregious iOS7 blunder that'll be cleared up soon...

I just cannot accept a device that was latest and greatest a year ago now struggling with basic tasks. Even if it is some sort of memory overflow issue how can they remain mum?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

My wife's iPad Air crashes out of Safari at least once a day. Not Apples finest hour. It's either a lack of RAM or a software bug.

3. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I'm getting one or two single tab Safari crashes a day. Has to be iOS7, no?

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

It does appear to be more of a software problem versus a hardware problem. I'm sure it's frustrating and apple does need to acknowledge this and get it sorted.

5. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I had 2 tabs open yesterday and due to them reloading all the flipping time, I lost out on something I was working on.

That's annoying, but in all fairness no one is forcing you to buy a new iPad every year (or one at all). If it's not working for your needs (and is indeed causing you to lose actual work) maybe you need a different device.

I want a smaller work tablet but the iPad just doesn't do enough for that, so I just got a Dell Venue. Different things for different needs. I still have several iPads because I like them, but I don't feel morally obligated to own "only" those, nor do I feel I shouldn't get something different if it's better at <some activity>.

6. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

How do you manage to lose two hours of work in Safari? Writing your dissertation in a Macrumors forums post box? :)

The fact that browsers do this is the worst feature about an ipad, but considering everything else they offer, and the much bigger negatives of every other tablet on the market, I find ways to work around it.

7. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

Agree with this comment. Hoping it's the latter (to be fixed later) vs the former (to be fixed with an iPad 6).

8. klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

Probably not the solution you are looking for, but try turning off Javascript. The only time I ever have Safari crash is when Javascript is turned on. It isn't a big deal to me because I usually keep Javascript turned off anyway as 90% of the time all Javascript is doing is serving ads. So turning it off reduces load times, saves data, and increases stability.

9. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

OP has an iPad 4, this has to be a software issue. I think everyone except rMinis are having problems with safari crashing or reloading tabs to often.

10. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I've been reading about this problem for a while, so I decided to check it out on my new iPad Air. 6 tabs open, no crash, and no page reloading. Am I just lucky?

11. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

Me too and with a brand new ipad air 64... Very disappointing. I hope Apple reads these forums and will patch iOS or whatever else needs fixing. Otherwise a superb device.

12. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Unless you spend a lot of time on eBay, then you need JavaScript. I hope Apple release a bug fix soon.

13. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

It seems like the bane of most browsers is JavaScript. I've noticed the same problem running Chrome or Safari. I get crashing since I use a lot of tabs when researching. And of course it doesn't save the history. :mad:

14. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

Nah, most browsers get pretty good JavaScript performance these days. JS hasn't been a major problem for years now.

15. $MacUser$ thread starter macrumors 6502

I hear what you're saying, I really do, but if a tablet can't perform ultra basic stuff like browsing then it starts to lose all relevancy pretty quick. Think about it. You're basically giving me the electronic equivalent of, "If you don't like this country, get out." Well, if I had ten million dollars and no personal/professional baggage I probably would but for me, right now, this is my only option. It could, and should, be so much better.

Having said that I've been on Apple in one form or other since I was a little kid. I love them. But I have to say my enthusiasm is seriously waning.

16. technopimp macrumors 6502a

I think you're being a bit hyperbolic, aren't you? You're comparing "giving up" using an iPad (a totally unnecessary, luxury, convenience device which didn't exist a few years ago) to uprooting yourself and moving to another country?

And it wouldn't take you ten million dollars to stop using an iPad. If you hate it so much, you can just-not use it anymore. No one will think less of you (or even care, except maybe you).

I REALLY hope you're just yanking my chain with this analogy-I really do. Otherwise, maybe it's best you take some time away from these devices as you may have become a bit too emotionally attached to them.

17. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Chrome is the worst for crashimg, maybe even worse than safari.

Pisses me off, it just crashes randomly out of nowhere.

18. nabwong macrumors regular

I'm using ipad 3 and dolphin and I've no issues with crashing at all. What sites do you go to?

19. LostAggie macrumors 6502

My retina mini crashes too...

20. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

As soon as I got mine I restored as new to 7.0.4 and this things works great.

21. iSheep5S macrumors 6502a

iSheep5S

Hmmm. I use chrome and have no problems. I forgot myself twice on 2 battery's and got a crash on each. 16hrs each. 32hrs... 2 crashes... Both safari. On third charge since new and moved safari out of harms way. I'll see how I get on. :)

22. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

If you can not wait for a few more iOS7 updates, it maybe time to move on to android. :p

23. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

This must be part of Samsung's marketing, because this is not the first time this exact topic is discussed and it still makes no sense whatsoever.

Crashes have nothing to do with the amount of RAM in the iPad. Wait for iOS 7.1.

24. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Both models have 1 GB RAM.

----------

Funny, iCab Mobile has a low RAM indicator, and I see a nice correlation between that being shown and the app crashing.

25. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If you double the RAM then it still crashes, just later, which is the whole point.

It's a bug in WebKit that you could "hide" by giving an iPad a GazillionByte of RAM, but it's still a bug that, which software updates can - and, supposedly, will - fix.

Ergo, wait for iOS 7.1.