iPad?

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
In one of the more roundabout rumors... this thread on MacNN roughly translates a Chinese clipping (scanned here) regarding a rumored PDA/MP3 Player from Apple

Inventec Appliances has possibly received a contract from Apple for production of “MP3 players” and PDA units. The total number of “MP3 player” and PDA in the contract may exceed several millions. So far, the “MP3 player” has been successfully put on production line and available on the market, known as “iPod.” On the other hand, “iPad”, which combines the functions of a MP3 player and PDA, is under test by Inventec

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I kind of home we see a iPad before I do the DOE award. I really need something to have music on AND be useful at school!

My PB is getting to damaged taking it to school every day!

Scab Cake

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2001
I don't understand...

I guess that interview with Steve Jobs where he said that he doesn't want to get into the PDA market because it's dying and not very stable doesn't really mean a whole lot to people. I'm willing to bet that Apple will not release a PDA any time soon. It's a silly idea. It has nothing to do with the whole digital hub idea. There are plenty of variations of PDAs that can/will sync with the mac. There's really no reason for Apple to get into the market.

On a side note...

If you use tcsh in the terminal, type in "bill gates". Pretty funny. I saw this in an appleinsider forum, I think.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
confusion?

I don't know what to think....

I'm with u though Scab Cake.....Steve said no PDA!!! :confused:

now I'll probably get flamed for my many posts against the idea....

only if it's true...

D

Doubtful

iConfusion

Nah, don't think it's likely. iPad and iPod sound too similar and would create confusion. At the same time, I dont think Apple would create a PDA again anyway.. marketplace is just too volatile.

burleypokey

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2002
iPad?

iPad? Despite the fact Jobs has stated he's not interested in an Apple PDA, why would Apple name it the iPad. It sounds a bit like a feminine product of sorts to me.

BurleyPokey
Slot Loading iMac of Doom and Mass Destruction.

Quark

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2002
Oh,... and just TWO more things...

1. In case people haven't heard, from SJ at MWSF and in the iMac video, the Digital Hub idea is pretty much Complete...

2. SJ said that they have alot more ideas that they are working on... this leaves room for the following ideas:

A. a digital camera - I wouldn't put it past Apple to take their OS and software expertise and combine it with Nikon's photography expertise to come up with an insanely great digital camera with iPhoto 2 to do things that can only be done on a Mac.
--I would buy one

B. PDA, not so sure, but a tablet computer would hit a home run. I have wanted something like that for a long time. I would use it in meetings, inventory people would use it all the time and the same businesses that would buy the "IT" human transport thing would probably invest in them as well. M$ OS and tablet PC concept has been hitting problem after problem. People want this thing and no one else can deliver it like Apple and SJ.
--I would buy one, immediately (almost regardless of cost)

C. A pager/cell phone communications device that was similar to the HipTop would be fantastic
--I would buy one, immediately

Steve seems to keep each device simple and to the point. He would make the Best Digital Camera to be the Best Digital Camera. He made the Best MP3 player to be the Best MP3 player and didn't clutter it up with additional items that could have easily been put in, like a mic - how would solve the problem of identifying a recording you just made using the mic... date/time stamp, that's almost meaningless.. some sort of scrolling text writing program where you scroll through the alphabet and pick each letter... no, keep it simple and to the point and make it the Best.

I think that a tablet type device will be announced mid 2002.

I think the Digital Camera idea will be announced in Tokyo.

The last idea would probably be co-developed by Apple & wOz and sold under the Apple name.

There you have it....:D

[as he steps away from the computer, trying to remember the original point, only to find that his cup of tea on the side of the desk has cooled to room temperature... he grins as it heats up in the microwave, knowing that soon he will be far away at an improbable destination...]

voicegy

macrumors 65816
Re: Oh,... and just TWO more things...

Originally posted by Quark

...as he steps away from the computer, trying to remember the original point, only to find that his cup of tea on the side of the desk has cooled to room temperature... he grins as it heats up in the microwave...

Now if Apple made a microwave...
I'd buy it!

Onyxx

macrumors regular
May 5, 2001
no pda

1) Jobs hated the newton; it was a shully project i believe
2) Market is saturated with pda's right now
3) Job's said that apple wasn't going to enter the pda market again

oh and as for the tablet idea, unfoutunately it has died. Remember that semi-ugly looking sony tablet computer? Well it was recently pulled from the product line due to lagging sales. True this wasn't a "true" tablet computer, but it said to manufactures that the majority of the population (and thats what it would be geared to) doesnt want one.
If cost really isn't an issue with you Quark, buy an iMac, take off the 15 inch screen and replace it with the 15 inch wacom lcd tablet. There you go, a pro-level tablet machine. Ok so maybe a screen transplant wouldn't be a great idea but nothing is stopping you from getting say a dual 1 ghz and equiping it with that wacom. it would just replace the monitor (but you could still have a second one).
So i guess you could say that the tablet pc already exists; its just that there is some assembly required.

U

Unregistered

Newton 3.0

The Newton 2.X OSs have a date bug. I forget when it kicks in. Sometime in the next couple years? We're due a replacement before that bug kicks in.

U

Unregistered

Its coming...

January 29, 1998
New Newton OS Planned

Amid unconfirmed news reports that Apple Computer plans major shifts in its Newton development and marketing, Planet Newton has learned from sources at Apple that it intends to revamp the Newton Operating System (Newton OS) and release an entirely new version based on Macintosh/Rhapsody technology later this year.

http://www.planetnewton.com/dailyplanet/PN012919982.html

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Newton 3.0

Originally posted by Unregistered
The Newton 2.X OSs have a date bug. I forget when it kicks in. Sometime in the next couple years? We're due a replacement before that bug kicks in.
I think it's in like 50 years

arn

M

matt201

Hehehehe, it just so happens that I am from Taiwan and understand Chinese... The correct translation regarding the iPad should be "And ACCORDING TO RUMORS, they are also developing iPads for Apple...." so, the reporter isn't really quoting from any reliable source, either. Just FYI.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Whether the rumor is true or not, but...

...Apple has something to offer to the PDA market.

1. HWR - nowadays HWR-s on the other PDA platforms are simply not usable. Therefore, the only HWR, I use is on my Newton 2100
2. Usability - Newton is still easier to use than PocketPC or Palm
3. Style - no comments needed here
4. Tech - Looking fo iPod makes me think, that there's still plenty of things, that are missing from PDA-s

And last, but not least:
5 Looking to the price- structure of the recent Apple products - something is radically changing. Apple is actually cheaper, than comparable PC product in many cases. So, thare's also a price per value candy expected.

About fitting into the hub strategy - well, PDA can be the hub by hemself.

About the tablet PC - i think, that the concept itself is ill. Open the Franklin planner or TimeSystem an look at the size. It's the size of the Newton. End it's awfully inconvinient to write to the nowaday's PDA screens (320x240 pixels is tiny). So the suitable device has to be the size of the planner, but not the size of the notebook.

About the Steve saying no PDA - well, it's Steve. Maybe it's true. Maybe he call's the device other way (Personal Digital Planner). Maybe he will just say sorry. Maybe I'm all wrong and there would be no PDA.

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Imagine if...

... there would be a device, which is:
1. In size of the usual A5 planner (i.e. Newton MP2100)
2. Has 480x320 color screen (same res as Newton)
3. Has 128 Mb RAM
4. Has 10Gb HDD
5. Has G3 inside
6. Has OSX (without classic and with special PDA software)

And most important:
7. Can be connected to the keyboard, mice and monitor and act as a full-blown Macintosh computer.

I'll buy it. Immediately.

E

eatmypiano

Which bit of "No PDAs" don't you understand?

Palm is losing money hand over fist. Psion has stopped production of PDAs. The Newton was discontinued because people don't take notes on devices that spend ages trying to recognise your handwriting and then get it wrong.

iPad is a registered trademark of Fujitsu so it would be real stupid of Apple to use that name for one of their products - they'd just get their butts sued.

Apple will not release a PDA. Sure, they'll release small gadgets but a PDA does not fit into the realm of the Digital Hub unless it does a lot more than take notes and keep phone numbers.

As for "Running PalmOS" - Fujitsus iPad runs Windows CE. 65% of Apple Employees are programmers. So it's a great idea to waste that investment in the talented manpower that brought us OS X and license a technology from a third party instead. My arse.

On a personal note, why is it that the people that all say "Oh, I hpe this is true" and "It must be true because Apple are making a PDA" can't actually spell properly?

Give up on the PDAs - it's not going to happen. They are great novelties but they are not serious business tools and are no use to Apples vision of a Digital Hub. You want a PDA - buy a HandSpring Visor and stick the Apple Logo on it.

U

Unregistered

OT: bill gates

If you use tcsh in the terminal, type in "bill gates". Pretty funny. I saw this in an appleinsider forum, I think. [/B]

well, unix doesnt seem to like Steve Jobs either:

martin% bill gates

OK? kill gates? yes
kill: Arguments should be Jobs or process id's.

U

Unregistered

Re: Its coming...

Originally posted by Unregistered
January 29, 1998
New Newton OS Planned

Amid unconfirmed news reports that Apple Computer plans major shifts in its Newton development and marketing, Planet Newton has learned from sources at Apple that it intends to revamp the Newton Operating System (Newton OS) and release an entirely new version based on Macintosh/Rhapsody technology later this year.

http://www.planetnewton.com/dailyplanet/PN012919982.html

And you believe this? LOL!