IPAD2 Already Full?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jacobson00, Jul 29, 2011.

1. jacobson00 macrumors member

Hi,

I have an ipad 2 which is 16gb. But i find it weird it is almost full, i have only 1 gb left. I only have about 25 apps (including the general ones that comes with it). I am puzzled as to why . It only has half the apps that are in my ipod touch 16gb and the ipod touch has hundreds of songs and still has some space left. But the ipad 2 is already close to full:confused::confused::confused:.

How do i save space. i have been freeing apps on it like crazy

2. tstarks33 macrumors regular

How are we to know without knowing what you have on your ipad?

3. RyanG macrumors 6502

Well, first off, plug it into iTunes and look at the 'Summary' tab. It gives you a pretty clear graph as to what the space distribution is linked to. From there, consolidate space as needed.

4. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

thank you. I didn't know that.

5. abta1 macrumors 6502

If each app is around 500Mb then it would only take 32 to fill that 16Gb and that's not including the space required for the OS etc.

6. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

7. Yamcha macrumors 68000

That's strange, maybe because yu have movies and music? I,ve got the 32gb iPad and I've got about a little over 100 apps/games and ive still got 14gbb left..

You should remove apps you don't use or delete movies/music you don't listen to often

8. edk99 macrumors 6502a

my guess is that you synced a bunch of stuff to it like music and did not even know it.

9. OSMac macrumors 65816

Plug into iTunes it breaks down the usage.

I found recorded videos and iMovie renders take a lot of space.
    Also check the documents folders for any apps you have,
    you may have downloaded big files in goodreader or something.
    Next time I'll get the biggest storage model.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Just install a microSD card in the expansion slot. It'll take up to 32gb.

Oh wait, that works for my Asus Transformer but not my iPad. Nevermind.:eek:

11. Tritons macrumors 6502

good one :rolleyes:

well you could get wireless hdd, like Seagate goflex satellite or Kingston Wi-Drive

12. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

No point. There aren't enough decent apps on Android to fill the 32GB anyway :p

13. jacobson00 thread starter macrumors member

ok so i have
    Imovie, imuscle, baking, garageband, netflix, findiphone, remove, keynote, numbers, pages, jeopardy, wheel of fortune, dropbox, scrabble, solitaire, jigsawhd, antidote, ebook, rsoccer11, skype, oprah and si magazine and the usual 6 or 7 that comes with it.
    i have only 36 songs, each no more than 7 mins and 240 photos. about 4 ebooks.

they itunes break down shows 4gb of others (yellow). what are the others

14. Tritons macrumors 6502

print screen iTunes "Summary" tab, so we all se what you got there.

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Might be true, but on android you can fill your tablet with indecent apps if you want. :eek: :D.

My16gb iPad 2 has plenty of room on it. Apparently there aren't enough decent apps that appeal to me, and with Google Music I don't have to put any music on it. Just play my tunes using Safari on Music.google.com.

16. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

Yeah, why won't the iPad (or is it iOS's fault?) read a USB drive that's plugged into the port? When is this going to be fixed? It would be so simple if an external FAT-formatted drive could be connected and files transferred directly through a USB cable. How does it read cameras connected to the port, but not a basic FAT hard drive?

17. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I really can see people carrying an iPad with a USB cable and an external drive. :D

18. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Short answer to your question...When hell freezes over. If you're looking for a tablet that easily connects to a USB data storage device, look elsewhere. It is not a "problem" to be fixed; it's a deliberate design decision on Apple's part.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

well not everyone is as short-sighted as you. there are people who do need more external storage, eg. witness the wireless-enabled external drives which have hit the market.

i'd much rather see an option to use the connector but that ain't happening.

20. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

This must be another example of why competition is good.

21. arogge macrumors 65816

arogge

If this isn't possible to use an FAT drive, how does the SD card adapter work? Is the iPad intentionally crippled so that it only accepts what it thinks are photo and video files, and so the iPad would refuse to transfer the data if the SD memory card contained text files or PSD files? That doesn't make any sense.

22. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

To answer your question, Yes. To respond to your comment, you're right. But that's the way it is. And if you want to know why, it's called Thunderbolt.

23. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

the limitation is primarily with the power output on the connector, less so on the type of files. with ios 4.2 apple lowered the voltage output on the connector to 20mA which is much too low to power anything but very low power flash memory media such as camera cards.

24. LeakedDave macrumors regular

Get a 32GB. I thought 16 would be enough. It wasn't. So I got a 32 to replace it and sold the old one on eBay. Problem solved. Haven't ran out of space on the 32. Yet.

25. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

The only thing that stands out to me is that if you have multiple issues of the magazines in those magazine apps you have listed, that may be taking up a good bit of your capacity. SI's first iPad issue alone when the app was released was 500MB--I don't know if they've changed that (I should think they're reduced it at least somewhat) but back issues would be the first thing I'd look at since nothing else is really obvious.

"Other" is part backend stuff we have no idea about, and part is likely things like the files you've created in Pages, etc. Again, if you don't need the files on the device, move them to the computer and delete them from the iPad.