ipad2 Now, Or Wait for the ipad3 ???

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Eager Beaver, Dec 29, 2011.

  1. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

    Eager Beaver

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #1
    I'll be the first to admit I don't know nothing much about ipads, so I thought I would ask the group.
    My neighbor got an ipad2 for x-mas and it is really nice, so nice that I think I want one, (actually I know I want one).

    Not to sure about the ipad cycles, so would you get an ipad2 now, or wait for the 3?

    As far as rumors go, when do you guys think the ipad3 will come out?

    Do the rumors have the ipad 3 being way better than the ipad2, making the wait worthwhile, or will it be a small upgrade like the 4s?
    thanks
     
  2. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

    ReallyBigFeet

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #2
    You should wait for the iPad 7. Seriously. It's going to be their best iPad.

    .....until the iPad 8 comes out of course.




    Buy the current gen because it really doesn't matter what is coming next. Take good care of it and sell it to fund the next gen. Any depreciation can just be considered a "rental fee."
     
  3. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Eager Beaver

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #3


    thanks for your input :)
     
  4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #4
    You should wait for the iPad 3. It will likely have a higher resolution display and bumped specs and is expected sometime in February/March/April timeframe.

    For some odd reason, there are those on this forum who are passionate about convincing people to buy iPads and other devices at the very end of their product life cycle. You'll read lectures about "always waiting for the next thing and never buying" and the like--almost as if its immoral or something to wait just a few months. Maybe they own Apple stock I don't know. However, I'm not suggesting you wait forever--just until the next revision. You'll be happier you did.
     
  5. scupking macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2010
    #5
    If it was this past summer and you asked the question then I would say get the iPad 2 but since the iPad 3 will be out in 2 months I say wait and see what thats like.
     
  6. Night Spring macrumors G5

    Night Spring

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2008
    #6
    I agree. If you have a specific task you want to do with iPad, then perhaps you should get it now, but if it's more of a nice device to have with no specific usage in mind, then the refresh is close enough that I think you should wait.
     
  7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    #7
    Interesting question. First time I've seen this topic raised.
     
  8. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Eager Beaver

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #8




    Nothing specific in mind, just played with the neighbor's ipad2 and thought how nice it would be to have one around the house, in the garage, out on the deck, etc. It's a very nice device and my aging eyes can see everything comfortably on this device.

    What about the cost issue, (I imagine the 3 will cost more?)
     
  9. barkomatic macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2008
    Location:
    Manhattan
    #9
    There are almost no truly new questions in this forum -- so I'm not sure why this one in particular annoys you. Generally, I don't open threads that don't interest me so perhaps you should do the same.
     
  10. Akack macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2011
    Location:
    USA
    #10
    Just wait for the ipad 3 or if you want a new "toy" now pick up a used ipad 2 and sell it prior to ipad 3 release.
     
  11. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Eager Beaver

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #11

    ^^^ This should be a sticky ^^^ [​IMG]
     
  12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

    NutsNGum

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2010
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #12
    Nobody knows what it will cost. It's unlikely to be a huge departure in price from the current model, as Apple seem to be selling truckloads of them and probably wouldn't be too keen to mess with the established prices they have in place, unless they decide to reduce the prices, obviously.

    Personally, I'm willing to hold on a couple of months. If it gets the higher resolution display, the wait will definitely be worth it. An iPad with much sharper text will be far better for reading, which is mainly what I used my original iPad for.
     
  13. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 1, 2011
    #13
    Well, to be fair, I skip this oft repeated thread about 99% of the time. This just happened to be the one hundredth time.
     
  14. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #14
    The MR Buyers Guide for iPad is suggesting that if you need an iPad now, go ahead and buy one, but if not, wait for the next one as the current product cycle is coming to an end.

    The rumors right now are these:
    Apple Pushing to Introduce iPad 3 on Steve Jobs' February 24th Birthday?
    This is What a 7.85-Inch iPad Looks and Feels Like
    Claimed iPad 3 Parts Continue to Leak as Rumored Release Draws Closer

    Aside from what is in those articles, there isn't much known about what iPad 3 will bring over iPad 2.

    Personally, I am waiting for iPad 3 before I purchase my first one. I've waited this long and will manage a few more months.
     
  15. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Eager Beaver

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #15
    Do you guys think that the price of a new, (not used) ipad2 will go down $100 the day the ipad3 is released,
    (like the iphone4 did when the 4s came out)?
    That might be worth the wait right there?
     
  16. SandboxGeneral Moderator

    SandboxGeneral

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Orbiting a G-type Main Sequence Star
    #16
    Yes, I expect that it would.
     
  17. ReallyBigFeet macrumors 68030

    ReallyBigFeet

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2010
    #17
    I sold my iPad 1 for $25 less than what I paid for it right before the iPad 2 was released. I had an adulterous affair with a rooted Nook in the interval between (a few weeks).

    $25 for 1 years' use of an iPad = $2 rental fee per month.
     
  18. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #18
    Even if the iPad 3 doesn't have anything special that you want, waiting until it's released might help you get a deal on an iPad 2. I think it's pretty likely that the iPad 2 will stick around at $399 for a new one. Even if it doesn't the prices on the Apple Refurbished units should drop.
     
  19. GoreVidal macrumors 6502a

    GoreVidal

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2011
    #19
    By all means, wait for the next thing. You'll be waiting...forever.
     
  20. Eager Beaver thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Eager Beaver

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #20
    That makes sense, thanks - :)







    Tell me about it, I finally finished off my 2yr 3g contract in Jan, figuring that I would wait an additional 5 months til the iphone 5 came out. Instead I got stuck with the 3g for almost 1 additional year, only to be offered a refurbished 4 -
    I am not impressed to say the least, (but I prolly would have been very impressed with the 5) -
    Now we wait for at least 1 full year, (maybe 18m or longer) for the 5 to come out, (why should they release it any earlier, sell more 4s, get richer).


    I am so thankful that I don't need an ipad, it makes the wait so less stressful -
    (I needed a new phone, the 3yo 3g was at the end of its life. very slow, and o.e batt almost dead)
     
  21. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #21
    I want the iPad 3 if it has the retina display or screen.

    But why would I need to own 2 iPads though? Hmmmm
     
  22. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    #22
    I'd wait. It is rumoured that the third generation iPad will launch as early as by the end of February: that's less than two months away from now. And if it doesn't launch in February, than there's a 90% chance it will launch in March.

    Apple only updates an iOS-device (like iPhone, iPod touch and iPad) once a year.

    Now, I don't know about you, but I always feel much better if I know product X is the best thing the company of product X can offer for a longer period of time.

    I know I would feel bad if I bought an iPad 2 now, only to find out the iPad 3 will get a retina display, better cameras, better battery, better processing power (or whatever the iPad 3 will have).

    Some people above are acting ironic "Oh, yes, I would wait for the iPad 7 because that's going to be the best iPad!" - let's not forget that we are talking here about two to three months. We are not talking about waiting years.

    In any case, they will do one of the following two things with the iPad 2:
    1) They dump it like they did with the first generation iPad: prices go down with $100 to get rid of the stock
    2) They keep it. Prices go down with $100 to $399 as a budget model.

    So, if the iPad 3 turns out to be a dissapointment, than you can always get the iPad 2 for a cheaper price with full warranty.

    ----------------
    Personally, I'm also waiting for the iPad 3 (I currently have a first generation iPad). Mainly for the extra speed and it's lighter and thinner form-factor. You could say I could go just as well for an iPad 3, but just as in your case, it's not like I _need_ a new iPad right now.

    I will wait for the third generation iPad: with that I get all of it's new features and a brand new A6 processor.
     
  23. toondw macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 28, 2009
    Location:
    Northumberland, UK
    #23
    Depends if you can get a good deal on a iPad 2. I just got one refurbished for £320 (£79 cheaper than new) so was happy to buy now, however I do plan to get the iPad 3 anyway and give the 2 to the wife.

    I'm sure in the US you must be able to get some decent bargains?

    But then again, their is always the next new thing coming out, no sooner will the 3 be here then everybody will be going on about the 4.

    Anyway, it's not definite as yet is it that the 3 will be out in the next month or so.
     
  24. GobblerChaser macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2011
    #24
    I am doing exactly this. Both of our iPad 1s are wi-fi only and my verizon mi-fi contract is up. So I ordered a refurb 2 with 3g for $100 less than a new one. Will ebay my ipad 1 next week. Then order a 3 when it comes out and give the 2 to my wife (and 5 year old) and then ebay her ipad 1. That way we can use them for FT when I am traveling and will no longer need the mi-fi card. It will cost me some to do the upgrades, but shouldn't be too bad to get where I want to go.
     
  25. gtx281 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2011
    Location:
    Chicago, IL
    #25
    I just got one recently, and posted this in a similar thread. My feelings haven't changed. Here ya go:

     

Share This Page