iPad2 v Galaxy Tab - compelling case?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Lankyman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

I have been having a good look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 today and can see why Apple are doing their best to stop these Tabs being brought to market. The Samsung is very nicely finished, and dare I say it, actually looks slightly better than the iPad with what looks like a trimmer bezel and slightly larger screen. Honeycomb performed very well too.

I think other than the popularity of the iPad compatibility for us Mac owners plus loads of apps the Sammy makes a very compelling case. Price wise there was nothing to choose between them.

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

They're both good technologies, but the iPad brings infrastructure with it as well as useability by your grandmother or a 2-year-old with little to no guidance.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I don't think he is buying a tablet for either of those two.

OP, try them both and see which one you prefer. If you are happy with Android the Samsung is very nice. I do like the ergonomics and design of that new Sony tablet.

4. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Well having two Macs already i.e. iMac and Mini one would say I should choose the iPad 2 which may well be the route I ultimately end up taking. However, as said originally the Sammy is very nice and the more of this type of quality Tab coming to market can only serve to benefit us all, iPad owners included. Let's face it Apple have had it all their own way in the Tab market which isn't really a good thing for the consumer long term. Whether it be Microsoft or Apple etc. all these big companies need competition to drive innovation and control prices.

5. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I wasn't a fan of the Acer Iconia, but after playing with it some more, I'd choose it or the Transformer over the Galaxy Tab.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

Samsung looks fine. But, fine isn't good enough if you are asking me to spend hundreds of dollars on a product in addition to dumping all of my apps in the apple market in order to re-buy some in the android market, but not all, because many cannot be found there.

Most importantly, though, you'll get inferior after sale support. The other day I had a problem with my iPod. Went to the Apple store and walked out a few minutes later with a new replacement. No stores for Samsung.

I'm not a fanboy. I have lots of complaints about Apple. But, I buy their products because they just work (great design, great experience, great apps) and there is no hassle.

Don't forget that Samsung is only part of the equation. Android (speaking from experience) has some cool features, but is a rough experience.

7. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I don't think anyone was advocating that you should dump your apps. If you already have these items then obviously iPad would be the way forward for you. We are talking about a new buyer coming to the tabs market place, someone who perhaps has never bought an app (much like myself) I own Apple products but have never bought an app as I don't have a smartphone and will in all likelihood never own one or want one. I have yet to see anything in the app store I would want to buy for my Mac's

You claim you will get inferior after-sales support - this may well be true (in the event you need it). I have been using computers since Windows 3.1 and you may not believe this but the only after sales support I have ever required with any computer products up to this present day has actually been with an "Apple" product. Android Honeycomb is pretty new but I don't doubt Google will quickly refine any rough edges. Windows 8 is also now on the horizon and I wouldn't be to quick to write that off either.

All I am saying is that Apple really do need the competition and the Galaxy 10.1 is a very worthy opponent IMO, perhaps the first. Mac.World says he likes the Iconia - funnily enough that is one tab that I didn't rate as I thought it heavy and somewhat poorly finished.

8. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

So why do you ask for advice? Looks you've pretty much made your mind to go for the Galaxy...

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Yep. I agree. I also think the original post was more Apple bashing (insinuating that Apple fears the competition, so they are trying to keep it out of the market). Does the OP have any evidence to support this claim? I suppose we could say the same thing for Samsung, who also sued Apple. Patent disputes are a whole other messy issue.

Well, it seems we agree that iPad owners have little incentive to switch. As for new customers, they won't know what they are missing with the iPad, so I guess they'll be happy.

Regarding support, I have had to ship several of my computers into the manufacturers for repairs over the years. It is an infuriating experience. They try to make it work well, but inevitably you end up waiting weeks to get the computer back. In one case, my desktop came back with parts inside unattached, so I had to put them back in myself. There is something quite nice about having an Apple store and Apple support staff on hand to take care of a problem then and there. If you never need a repair or have a problem, that's great!

I'm glad to see competition. And, I wish Samsung luck. From my perspective, though, the experience (hardware + os +apps) has not surpassed Apple's. I would recommend a new buyer get an iPad.

10. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Why not look at the Xoom? I mean, if you're going to consider a Android tablet, you might as well look at the one that will more than likely get updated first. Since Google is buying Moto, it stands to reason that the Xoom will have faster updates than the Sammy. The specs are almost identical ...

I don't know, many will disagree. I do like me some Moto hardware though.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

Speaking just about the hardware (leaving aside serious os, app, and support concerns I mentioned earlier) I like how the Xoom looks, and it has great specs, but the weight and bulk is a little bit of a con. Not a big deal, but every gram/mm counts at this size. I haven't had a chance to handle the Tab yet, though, so I can't compare the two.

12. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Tab is much closer to the iPad2 sexiness - the Xoom is a little more industrial/chunky.

That being said, since one of the primary demerits (in my book at least) of Android is the platform is not unified and you have to wait for s/w to be released for individual hardware (rooting aside). So, to me, give me device closest to Google's hive.

13. mystik610 macrumors regular

The Samsung Galaxy tab is a wonderful piece of hardware, crippled by software that's stuck in a perpetual beta mode. It's buggy, doesn't have nearly as much App support, poor battery life etc etc. You've got a market flooded with different Android devices, all subject to the same issues.

I've owned several Android devices, and while the OS has a lot of potential, its never quite good enough. Eventually you get tired of dealing with Androids quirks and waiting for Google to finally get it right.

Apparently Ice Cream sandwich is supposed to right all of Android Honeycomb's wrongs, but they've already announced Jelly Bean, which is supposed to right all of Ice Cream sandwich's wrongs? And then you run into the issue of whether or not Samsung will continue to support the 10.1 and roll out an official Jelly Bean firmware update for the 10.1.

14. Skika macrumors 68030

My mother got a Galaxy tab 10.1 at work. Her company buyed a bunch for showing clients stuff. Sha said it was an awfull slow, and she said the ui was confusing.

She isnt an Apple fanboy although she has an 3Gs iPhone she loves.

15. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

And this my friends is why I bought my wife a Ipad 2, and why I probably will get one for myself.

16. gigadigit macrumors member

Got the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE version and am very happy with it.
    I have the original IPad also, but wanted something different.

17. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Having Macs isn't the tie in to make the iPad choice obvious. It's iTunes. If you have bought into managing your media in iTunes or even buying it direct from the iTunes store, it becomes hard to justify anything other than an iPod/iPhone/iPad. If you just don't like iTunes, all of the other options start looking better.

I agree that the Galaxy Tab is the best looking iPad clone to date - because it looks exactly like the iPad 2 in almost all respects.

That whole "competition is good" sthick isn't really proving out yet though. Apple's reputation aside, they priced the iPad very aggressively right from the start - that's why you aren't seeing any of the comparable devices coming in at much lower prices and eating up the market.

18. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Everyone imprints on the first UIs they use, and tend to prefer them over others. Others need even more powerful and easy to learn UIs than iOS. For examples:

My two year old daughter easily learned how to get around on industrial Windows and WinCE touchscreen devices. Now she's nine and is proficient on Android (she says her iPod touch is "wierd" and harder to use because it doesn't have a system wide Back button... and is missing Flash for playing Moshi Monsters).

Her 85 year old grandmother says the iPad we gave her... thinking it would be easy for someone with zero computer experience... is too difficult to use (because of tiny icons without labels, non-integrated apps, and lack of Flash).

I'm waiting for either Android or iOS to bring in good support for multiple users, myself. It's silly to advertise tablets as family devices but not provide for different family members.

We're still in the infancy era of the tablet.

19. poloponies macrumors 68030

Don't I know it, 85 year olds with zero computer experience are constantly complaining about lack of Flash.

20. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

Hmm! now who wrote this in post 4?

Oh yes that's right it was me! :rolleyes:

21. Lankyman thread starter macrumors 68000

I would counter with the following - I have absolutely no axe to grind either way as I don't currently own a Tablet computer though I do own an iMac plus a Mac Mini, I don't own any products from Samsung. I can therefore look at these products with an open mind. I think the iPad is a very good product, nice looking and nicely finished but so too is the Samsung.

Palpatine, why do you assume I was inferring that Apple fears the competition or that I was Apple bashing. Did you not consider I was drawing a conclusion that the Galaxy is a clone of the iPad hence I can see why Apple are trying to stop it being sold?

I find it perplexing that you appear to have such a defensive mind. Try thinking outside the box, it's a big world out there.

22. poloponies macrumors 68030

Totally don't get why some people consider Apple to be the bully mega-corporation and Samsung to be the poor oppressed "innovator."

Samsung's a mega-mega-corporation with their finger in nearly every pie in Korea and well beyond. I would hardly call the Galaxy an innovative product - which is what I would expect in a competitive market. Essentially copying an Pad and having it run Android instead of iOS is hardly moving the technological ball forward.

23. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I don't have any special fondness for Samsung and I certainly don't consider them to be a "poor oppressed 'innovator.'" On the other hand, having lived in a technology world dominated by IBM's closed systems and monopolistic business practices, it saddens me to see Apple adopting a business model that is essentially identical to that of IBM in 1970.

24. palpatine macrumors 68040

I thought my reading of your original post was reasonable. Perhaps that is because I have a closed and defensive mind stuck in a tiny iPad box.

25. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

:D

Lankyman,

I think you'll find that palpatine is one of the most informative and objective of the posters on this forum. Perhaps you were justified in taking offense at his comment but I think if you hang around very long you'll find that he's not inclined to take unjustified potshots. I'd suggest you chalk it up to a misunderstanding and let it go.