Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced iPadOS 15, which introduces the ability to place widgets anywhere on the Home Screen and includes an App Library, a feature first introduced in iOS 14.

iPadOS-Widgets.png

Widgets can be pinned in different sizes on any page of the Home Screen, providing useful information to users at a glance. Widgets on iPad also get a new larger format to make better use of the device's larger screen.

First introduced on the iPhone in iOS 14, the App Library automatically organizes all of a user's apps into one, easy-to-navigate view and will intelligently surface apps that may be helpful at a given time. The App Library is built right into the Dock, making it simple for users to access. Additionally, the App Library allows users to hide and reorder their Home Screen pages.

Article Link: iPadOS 15 Features Widgets Anywhere on Home Screen and App Library

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Disappointing is an understatement.

The fact they spent actual time explaining how to add a widget to your iPad Home Screen, when they already spent time a year ago explaining the same exact process for an iPhone just proves how little they’ve done.

ChrisMoBro

Suspended
Oct 31, 2016
Wow, what a joke! Why even think of releasing a 16gb model? There’s a chance Apple will remove the 5gb limit without acknowledging it publicly but this is massively underwhelming.

luapre

macrumors member
May 29, 2021
There are only two genuinely new 'features' that they announced:
- Upgrades to Swift Playground
- Changes to the multitasking.

All the other announcements are either things that had been on iOS already (widgets, App Library),
or that they updated for all devices and just put under iPadOS for lack of other announcements (Translate, Quick Notes...)

That was a lot weaker than I expected. Luckily I bought the M1 for the hardware, but still wouldn't have said no to an actual software update.

Edit.: literally more updates to Health, Maps, and AirPods than to the whole of iPadOs.

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
Wow, what a joke! Why even think of releasing a 16gb model? There’s a chance Apple will remove the 5gb limit without acknowledging it publicly but this is massively underwhelming.
Considering this is a developer's conference, now is the time to make those kinds of announcements.

Reactions: Redsep

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Sooooooo nooo cool partnered apps for the M1 iPad Pro???? No Pro apps not even a cool game? WTF
I was honestly expecting Pro apps to be announced. The M1 in the new iPad Pro coupled with 16GB RAM seemed to suggest it was inevitable that Final Cut etc was going to be announced.

Now we get all that power to drive a few crappy widgets? Just great.

brofkand

Suspended
Jun 11, 2006
I predict next year the iPad Pro will feature M1X with 32 GB of ram to support interactive widgets and new wallpapers.
Honestly though, nothing adds up. It just makes no sense. I am lost for words.

I agree, it makes no sense. Why give the iPad all this power and never let it stretch its legs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.