Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Prior to the release of iPadOS 16, Apple tweaked Stage Manager to remove a feature that allowed it to work with external displays, a move made to expand Stage Manager support to A12Z and A12X iPad Pro models.

ipados-16-stage-manager.jpg

With the new beta of iPadOS 16.2 provided to developers today, Apple has re-enabled external display support on iPads that have an M1 or M2 chip. While Stage Manager is functional on older iPad Pro models without Apple silicon chips, these iPads will not be able to use Stage Manager with an external display.

External display support allows for up to eight apps to be used with Stage Manager, rather than the four available on the iPad alone.

Article Link: iPadOS 16.2 Beta Adds Support for Using Stage Manager With External Displays on M1 and M2 iPads

RayLancer

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
I wonder how many owners of pre-M1 iPads actually care about Stage Manager itself instead of fullscreen external display support.

I’m guessing for many, fullscreen external display is a more important feature than being able to use Stage Manager on the iPad’s small 11-13” displays.
I really want external monitor support, stage manager is whatever. I feel like at this point stage manager is baked in with external monitor output. I think a good tradeoff for older iPad Pros would be external with stage manager, but only 4 apps max, would be on the external monitor only. The iPad would only display the home dock and nothing else.

Reactions: Morichan

AppleTO

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
With fullscreen external display support, are you able to select the screen resolution and scaling? I've had monitors in the past that incorrectly report their native screen resolution/refresh rate. This would be especially important with Stage Manager.

Also, in 16.1, what resolution does an M1 iPad Pro output to an external display? Just curious.

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I have been waiting for extended screen support but all of a sudden Apple decided to remove it. What happened? Spent the time to make a more restrict Stage Manager for non-M1 users and ended up being bashed?

Earlier today you said, "Stage Manager is a joke. This feature does not appeal me anymore. Lost my interest. Sorry 😢"

So which is it?

Source: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...d-as-ipados-16-released.2367363/post-31665755
I stand behind my first comment about the “Stage Manager”. The feature still does not appeal to me and I have lost interest. I don’t plan on using it. However, I’m glad Apple is trying to make it better for those that will be using them. Sorry for the confusion.

Ugettinpaid

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2019
I wonder how many owners of pre-M1 iPads actually care about Stage Manager itself instead of fullscreen external display support.

I’m guessing for many, fullscreen external display is a more important feature than being able to use Stage Manager on the iPad’s small 11-13” displays.
I didn't care about external display support, went from my 2020 iPad Pro 12.9 inch to the m1 version just for the stage manager support directly on it. It's been freaking amazing for my workflows in so many ways it's hard to describe. It's cool to hear that they added it to my previous ipad though, my wife has been able to enjoy it :)

As far as external display support, it's nice to have, but since I'm mobile most of the time I don't get to take advantage of it as often as I'd like.

Reactions: Unregistered 4U

GuruZac

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
I stand behind my first comment about the “Stage Manager”. The feature still does not appeal to me and I have lost interest. I don’t plan on using it. However, I’m glad Apple is trying to make it better for those that will be using them. Sorry for the confusion.
I’m happy to see external monitor support back on M1/M2 at least.

bradman83

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2020
Buffalo, NY
Can I use my M1 MBA display as an external monitor?

No, but you can use me Zac
You can… sort of. Ventura supports using Macs as an AirPlay receiver, so you can cast an iPad’s display via screen mirroring in the Control Center to the display of any Mac, but it’s limited to the old fashioned style of screen mirroring, and it breaks Universal Control, so you can’t use the Mac’s keyboard and trackpad to control the iPad.

markgpearse

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
I don't have an M Mac, but I can extend my screen to my Samsung TV through my AppleTV. It works great. Spreadsheets are crazy big.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.