iPad iPads on Sale at Best Buy - which should I get?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacinAppleTosh, Feb 23, 2014.

1. MacinAppleTosh, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

MacinAppleTosh macrumors member

Looks like best buy has the Air for $50 off and the mini is $20 off.

Thought I'd also ask what people's opinions were on which would be better for annotating notes during class.
    The main reason I'm looking to get one is to avoid the large amount of lecture notes I'm currently printing off before every class and instead save them on an iPad and and take notes that way.
    Is the mini going to be to small for writing detailed equations and such with a stylus?
    (side note: I already own an iPhone and a mbp so I'm really on the fence about getting an iPad as well)

I also saw that iPads do not have an active digitizer and was wondering if I'd be better off going for a tablet that does, as my primary use for one would be writing on it with a stylus.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

A lot of us have all three: MB, iPhone and iPad. I have use for all three, and I made sure did. I say go for it, but find time for all three. My iPhone is always near, though. However, most of my friends and family have iPhones, so when I'm on my iPad, I can still text and FaceTime them. I usually use my MBP for hardcore stuff such as Photoshop, editing videos, etc.

Oh, no, I don't think the Mini would be too small.

3. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

If you plan on writing a lot, I'd recommend getting a Surface Pro (I know, I know, windows tablet on a mac site? Blasphemy!). However, These days they're getting around 450-500 for a 128gb one and their wacom active digitizer is probably the best in the market. I have both and I can't stand writing on an iPad with the big fat pens. Having 1024 pressure points is a MUST for long term writing.
    YMMV for that, but imo once you start using wacom digitizers, you can't go back.

4. quamsi macrumors regular

I have found that I can take pretty precise notes on either the Air or rMini. I have the rMini now and use noteshelf and a gosmart stylus. This combo works for me to take lengthy notes, with great detail. Its slightly easier on the Air because you have a little more space, but it's definitely doable on either tablet. You just have to find the right app/stylus combo.

5. ifonlyihad1 macrumors newbie

ifonlyihad1

was just on the bestbuy site..
    32 gig ipad air is going for 524.99, 75 bucks off. nice.
    Yet up here in Canada, only 20 buck off.. 599.99. sad, very sad.

6. David58117 macrumors 65816

I would say stick with an iPad, because you have some very good PDF apps you could take advantage off. Writing with a stylus isn't terrible on the iPad, with some of the capabilities they have now (look into good notes). Don't get a device that only gets a few hours of battery time, for only marginal improvement of writing abilities.

Look at good notes and iannotate. If you're receiving slides, you could save the files, open them in either of those apps, and annotate directly on the files.

I use to do that, and it worked great. Also look at background recording apps. I would have one running during the class, so I would have an audio copy saved on the iPad.

I would go for the 32 gig air..

7. Americasteam macrumors regular

Glad I seen this thread. Got my Air last week, so I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow at lunch for a cool $75 refund!

8. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Like one of the above posters stated that a Surface Pro with stylus would be better. However, don't count out one of the Note tablets from Samsung. I know, it's android! For the best note taking stylus the s pen is tops (I've used several surface pros' stlyi and they're just not as good as the spen). For example, the Note 8 is perfect for one-handed use. Also, the larger sizes work great, as well. It wouldn't hurt to check them out.

9. MacinAppleTosh thread starter macrumors member

The note is definitely a contender and it seems like it has the best handwriting capabilities for the price. The one thing holding me back from something non-apple is I do have a lot of money invested into iTunes plus I have a sizable amount of credit still to spend on the iTunes store from gift cards and such.
    (those guys at apple know what they're doing haha)

10. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Adonit Jot Pro. Light, thin and accurate enough that I use it for illustration on an iPad.

11. AppleRobert macrumors 603

That is a great deal, wish I was in the market for one.

12. MacinAppleTosh thread starter macrumors member

Anyone able to find how long these deals are supposed to last?

13. Americasteam macrumors regular

Called today, they said it would last through next Saturday. As always YMMV.

14. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

I've used both my iPad 4 and mini for notes. the larger iPad does have more room to write, but i find it harder to write with the room because my palm ends up touching the screen and ruining it anyways. i use my mini for notes now.

15. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone, a rMBP, and an iPad mini. The mini, for me, is the perfect size for a tablet. I didn't need a bigger screen for a tablet because I got my laptop for that. Besides, it's perfect for reading and I'm sure it'll be just as good for you writing notes on it as well. I don't see anything wrong with getting a mini. It's a great iPad!

16. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

these deals come on and off all the time

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

This is the second week in a row that the rMini has been on sale at BB.

18. Tech guy macrumors newbie

I am dealing with the desision, They are both wonderfull devices. If u do a lot of reading the big one may be better. I am looking at the many for the smaller size to use in bed but not sure yet.
    Enjoy your ipad

19. AppleRobert macrumors 603

Got a 32gb Air this morning AND an additional 10% off because it was an open box. I inspected it closely and saw no scratches or dings.

Woot!

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

21. Rodster macrumors 68040

22. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

23. Djay1 macrumors member

Thanks for the clarification. You saved a bunch of folks some time.

24. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

Yeah I got the 32 mini retina back when it was 50 off. They said if I signed up with verizon I'd get 100 off too. I declined and put a tmo sim in it

25. MacinAppleTosh thread starter macrumors member

Heading out to best buy today and i'm still wondering how the iPad fares with a capacitive digitizer for handwriting.
    If my main use for a tablet is taking handwritten notes, would I be better off with a tablet with active digitizer?
    Anyone had experience with both that can say how big of a difference this makes?