Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
And if the SDK was not ready (which is prob. the case.) what then? Pull one out of a rabbit's behind? (The internal version they use may / is not ready for public use it seems.)

And that's probably the real reason. They pulled devs off the Leopard team for the iPhone. I bet they went back to that project before polishing the SDK into a usable commoditisable state. Until then, batten down the hatches (1.1.1).

iWizzard

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2007
Have the "hackers" started to look in the firmere? To be able to stop this cat and mouse game it must be stopped at the source = the firmware.

The ideal solution is that the end user could dl an patched/hacked version of the firmware that do not cause any problems.

the scenario I imagine is that after every new appple uppdate an hacker group modefies it to make it safe to use for people with "altered" iphones.

hevaKmaI

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2006
They have.

And the answer is. Not at this time.

Yes, but a simple "we are pushing to finalize APIs for an SDK" or "we are actively pursuing it" wouldn't be much to ask for. People want to know that 3rd party apps will work on the iPhone in an official capacity.

donlphi

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2006
Seattle (M$ Country)
This relly sux, I will not buy an iphone if it is not possible to install 3d party apps. Lack of IM messenger that always run in the background is an deal breaker.

If you haven't bought an iPhone in the last two months of 3rd Party Apps, I don't see Apple getting really worried about your purchase or lack there of.

It was fun while it lasted. I hope Apple allows a couple of good companies to create some functional software for it.

SLINGPLAYER... DEAR JESUS... GIVE ME SLINGPLAYER FOR THE iPHONE!

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
A computer has a plug that goes into the wall and gets unlimited power.The iphone can get drained in no time by a bad programmer. The iphone has less ram. Less space. etc..

Not exact comparisons.

Of course. But they have not yet. The "cost" people are paying now is not their fault. (re installing apps.)

Yep. Prob 2 months or less.

Their attitude is the iphone runs all the stuff they said it does, very well. If people want to hack beyond it

The product performs as advertised. If you abs. need some 3rd party app then the iphone may not be for you, if you want to "do whatever you want with it" buy another phone.

Buy an openmoko. It won't be an iphone that's for sure...

Of course I realise that the iphone has the nicest interface/screen of any phone I've used. And of course it has the potential to be great. Going back to what now appears to a clunky Sony ericsson interface would not be fun. I just feel that Apple is not letting its customers make any decisions about their phones. I had no plans to add 3rd party apps, but of course I use IM all the time so that made sense. The dictionary app is also useful, as are numerous others ones. If Apple provided those it would be better, but they don't or haven't thus far. We'll see how Apple decides to develop the iphone and add functionality. Although we bought the phone 'as is' , Apple did indicate that they would be adding functionaility through updates. IMO, today's update was not very useful. Better than nothing? yes, of course, but not better than what exists already through the installer.app.

Sorry, went off topic.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Yes, but a simple "we are pushing to finalize APIs for an SDK" or "we are actively pursuing it" wouldn't be much to ask for. People want to know that 3rd party apps will work on the iPhone in an official capacity.

Stevie sure does like the big showbiz announcements though. That's not their style :)

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007

Acutally it would be, legally speaking. What if apple said "we hope to have the final API done in Jan."

Then (and I know this is a lousy example.) they found out of you have 15 apps open at once the iphone crawls to a snail and they make an internal decision to not release the api as promised.

Can you say class action suit?

They should NEVER announce something until they are abs. sure they can do what they say.

Apple did indicate that they would be adding functionaility through updates.

as someone mentioned in another thread. This is a "Sept" update (is that correct?) If so maybe next month will have something worthwhile to you.

For me all I want is "DELETE ALL MAILS IN MY INBOX" yikes!!!! 25 deletes just in the last few hours....done, one by one by one... ugg.

Sbrocket

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
/dev/null
Did it ever occur to anyone that rather than targeting 3rd party apps, Apple was instead targeting current software unlocking methods and that the 3rd party apps got caught in the crossfire? Stop being so cynical and look at things logically. Not everything that comes out of a corporation is a lie.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I had 3rd party apps installed on my iphone, but am updating to 1.1.1 anyway. Frankly, I just never found any of them all that useful. There are some cute ones, and there are certainly things that apple should release (games, for instance), but the 3rd party apps have not been the be-all and end-all for me that they apparently have been for some people. I think I'd rather just have an iphone that has good battery life, doesn't lock up, and is nice and snappy. Just my experience.

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
Maybe the plan is to release this update, get the hackers going, and then when a hack comes out, release a proper update....and so on and so forth...

yagrax

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2007
Doubt it.

Mark my words, give them less than a week and it will be hacked again. A lot of hackers spent a lot of time developing their apps to let a small thing like encryption stop them. Axiom: no encryption scheme is strong enough to overcome. Why Apple chose this route to temporarily block these 3rd party apps is baffling to me, because they know this axiom as well as any tech follower (unless their managment said make it so...), and it's just a matter of time. 3rd party apps will be back.

As one who installed just about every 3rd party app out there, I will tell you non-installers that you don't know what you're talking about when you question the expanded capabilities that the 3rd party apps give to a lot of users. The other axiom of don't knock it till you try it comes to mind because you're really talking out your backside on the subject, be honest. The people that installed these apps are overwhelmingly very happy with them. And hardly any of them "break" the phone and give features that, honestly, Apple sorely left out. Chat, ToDo, Games and syncing Notes. None of them locked up my iPhone, ever.

Sure there will be issues of battery drain and slowness with 3rd party apps. But those will be overcome in time, or you can simply uninstall them, it's pretty easy to do. No need to just throw the entire idea away just because of a few ill-running apps here and there. A few people won't find them useful, and will comment on that, but I believe the majority of us do and won't comment on the positive as it's human nature in our country to criticize not praise.

I mean look at Apple! and the new ability to disable roaming Edge data internationally. This was probably a huge programming oversight and someone's bill came in > $1000 or more with roaming charges while overseas on a trip. Apple has now "fixed" that. Talk about a class action...

JMHO

(by the way, the bible is probably avail as an ebook with the 3rd party Book reader being able to read it on the iPhone)

francisturgeon

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
1.0.2?

Is anyone able to restore to 1.0.2 firmware????????

I tried even disconnected from internet but I'm not able??? It could be really cool, 'cause I've lost my cell phone and so much more:mad:

Francis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2006
Do not, I repeat, do NOT attempt iFuntastic 3.5.5 hack

I know, I was desperate, but after updating to 1.1.1 I "tried" to unshackle the phone using iFuntastic again... and guess what? Had to restore my phone... again. :eek: (yeah, the blond is natural)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
That's a shame. I was looking forward to that quasi-GPS and Apollo IM app.

rjwill246

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
USA (often) and Adelaide, OZ
Of course I realise that the iphone has the nicest interface/screen of any phone I've used. And of course it has the potential to be great. Going back to what now appears to a clunky Sony Ericsson interface would not be fun. I just feel that Apple is not letting its customers make any decisions about their phones. I had no plans to add 3rd party apps, but of course I use IM all the time so that made sense. The dictionary app is also useful, as are numerous others ones.

You are dead right. I don't buy Apple's SOLE argument that it might destabilize the network-- absurd for the most part. This is as much about Apple and ATT figuring out how to add features at a premium AND making sure it is safe to do so. Third party apps make so much sense, especially programs like ePocrates which med students, nurses and doctors use worldwide--- huge market. IMing etc was great. There is no doubt that they will be back, with Apple's blessing or not.

My guess is that Apple is working on how to get 3rd party apps on our iPhones but the issue is going to be-- how much will they charge-- these are NOT going to be free. I have no problem with that since adding anything to the iPhone is not a right, despite some people thinking so. It increases the company's bottom line and that makes me very happy.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
And IMO this has ALWAYS been the reason (along with lack of time for a finalized API and the use of Leopard tech?).

It's funny. The more applications I have installed on my iPhone, the LONGER the battery has lasted. I'm not saying that it's a cause-effect, but that when I got the phone, I hat to recharge nightly. Not I can almost go three days without charging.

Time, finalized APIs, limit 3rdparty app CPU use AND ENCRYPTION. So a program has to go thru a certification program before being blessed by apple and the encryption can help ensure the app is the app.

Apple has always been a closed architecture company. This is the one thing that has hurt them the most, and why the lion's share of free software runs on Windows or on Linux/BSD first. And many of the best programs never make it to an Apple platform. Really, it's the only reason why I can't convince myself to get an Apple laptop. I don't want to pay $1500 for a program to edit my videos when I'm using a freeware program now that has no Apple equivalently.

Apple locking the iPhone is just plain stupid, and absolutely 100% in line with the way that Apple always has been.

-jt2

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Apple has always been a closed architecture company. This is the one thing that has hurt them the most, and why the lion's share of free software runs on Windows or on Linux/BSD first. And many of the best programs never make it to an Apple platform. Really, it's the only reason why I can't convince myself to get an Apple laptop. I don't want to pay $1500 for a program to edit my videos when I'm using a freeware program now that has no Apple equivalently.

Apple locking the iPhone is just plain stupid, and absolutely 100% in line with the way that Apple always has been.

-jt2

You just sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

The reason so many people are crying out for third party development is so they can make money from it. They can see the potential iPhone has, however so can Apple. Which is why Apple designed it, Apple developed it, Apple negotiated the contracts with the networks etc. etc. etc. See where this is going? It is Apple's phone. Therefore Apple will use it to best benefit Apple.

Bringing up Free BSD / Linux is an irrelevance as they are free, open source software and neither are a product made by one company with commercial interests. However as you bring up the case of Windows…

Microsoft look after there own interests too, they just like to appear on the surface to play nice with third parties, but then swallow them up and destroy them when they come up with a good idea. Which is why Windows users use Windows Messenger, surf the web with Internet Explorer, play videos with Windows Media, read email with Outlook, use Windows Security Centre, use the Microsoft Office productivity Suite, play games like Halo 3 via Direct X (developed solely to keep games on Windows, they could have gone for OpenGL if they were remotely interested in being "open") etc. etc. etc.

No doubt you'll just dismiss me as a rabid Apple fan, but your arguments really are laughable. You think if someone came up with a really good third party app for Windows Mobile (by your definition an "open" architecture) MS would sit back and let them profit. No, of course they wouldn't. They'd either buy the company or rip off their idea.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
It runs MacOS

When the iPhone was announced, I remember Steve proudly declared "iPhone runs OS X". (Full disclosure, as a member of the press, I was actually in Vegas covering CES, but many of us had our eye on both events!)

Here's the full quote from Steve Jobs' transcript from MacWorld 2007:

"iPhone runs OS X! Why would we want to run such a sophisticated OS on a mobile device? It's got everything we need. Multitasking, networking, power management, graphics, security, video, graphics, audio core animation... It let us create desktop class applications and networking, not the crippled stuff you find on most phones, these are real desktop applications."

My Mac Mini, which cost me less than my iPhone (early adopter tax) runs OS X, which includes iChat.

Sure, I didn't expect 100% of OS X to make it into a 4GB iPhone, and have room for music, but it's shameful for a 2007-era smartphone to not have Instant Messaging!? Let alone the most anticipated smartphone? Yet 3rd party developers got IM working in a month with no documentation? This absence was the reason I bothered installing installer.app in the first place and may be the reason I stop at firmware 1.0.2, cutting Apple out of my potential WiFi iTunes revenue.

My Nokia e62, which I "upgraded" from, had Instant Messaging built-in, plus voice recording, not to mention MP3 ringtones, and Caller ID text-to-speech Name Announcing.

Yes, I knew the iPhone didn't have all of these capabilities at launch, but as Steve declared, it ran "MacOS". It should be easy for Apple or someone to add these features. And sure enough, a month later, those apps exist. Just not from Apple.

But their policy/programming disables/disallows Caller ID ringtones (text-to-speech MP3 recordings) and always-on Instant Messaging.

I understand Apple's motivations, and I could live with a locked down iPhone. But for work, I NEED real instant messaging, not delayed messaging. And I'd like to use non-music ringtones like "Your wife is calling", etc.

Maybe Steve should add some celebrity generic ringtone announcements to iTunes? Like Donald Trump, "Your boss is calling...answer it or YOU'RE FIRED!'

Oh, I'd also like Bluetooth syncing, which my Nokia had. I'd walk into my office and it'd start syncing my calendar, etc. You take things like that for granted and really miss them when they're gone.

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
My guess is that Apple is working on how to get 3rd party apps on our iPhones but the issue is going to be-- how much will they charge-- these are NOT going to be free. I have no problem with that since adding anything to the iPhone is not a right, despite some people thinking so. It increases the company's bottom line and that makes me very happy.

I agree that Apple's probably trying to figure out how to CHARGE you for free software. Apple's gone so far beyond many other corporations into the GREED business model. It's hard to believe that this is the company that was co-founded buy a guy that didn't even want to charge money for the computers he build in his garage. Of course, Jobs was always a greedy bastard. Even while he was playing "peace and love" to the hippies, he was saying that he thought there should be an Apple on every student's desk. I'm happy that he was able to realize his dream of being rich, but people need to realize that he's not the great beneficial god of the people that he pretend to be.

And I guess I don't have any right to install software on my computer either? I don't think that any company is going to even try to touch that one. Not even Microsoft has bothered to try to shut down people installing custom software on the original xbox.

-jt2

jt2ga65

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
You just sound like you don't know what you are talking about.
Oh please.

Microsoft look after there own interests too, they just like to appear on the surface to play nice with third parties, but then swallow them up and destroy them when they come up with a good idea. Which is why Windows users use Windows Messenger, surf the web with Internet Explorer, play videos with Windows Media, read email with Outlook, use Windows Security Centre, use the Microsoft Office productivity suite, play games like Halo 3 via Direct X (developed solely to keep games on Windows, they could have gone for OpenGL) etc. etc. etc.
Yeah, I guess you are right. Afterall, I guess I'm not using firefox to post this, and Thunderbird to check my email while chatting with my friends on AOL IM using Pidgin IM client, or using OpenOffice to edit my documents.

No doubt you'll just dismiss me as a rabid Apple fan, but your arguments really are laughable. You think if someone came up with a really good third party app for Windows Mobile (by your definition an "open" architecture) MS would sit back and let them profit. No, of course they wouldn't they'd either buy them or copy it.

Actually, there are plenty of third party apps that are available for the TREO that runs Windows Mobile. Plenty more for the TREO that runs PalmOS. Neither of those are free, but there are those applications. Many of them aren't from a company that charges for them. AND those phones sync a whole lot better. Why do I need iTunes to sync my calendar?

I never said that Apple had no right to charge for software they develop, or didn't have a right to make money, I've just said that they have always had a closed architecture for the express purpose of making as much money as they possible could. Good business model, but not really all that friendly to their customers needs and desires.

-jt2

And I'm a HUGE Apple fan. Not a fan of the company, but a fan of the hardware and OS. Always have been. I just can't afford it.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Yeah, I guess you are right. Afterall, I guess I'm not using firefox to post this, and Thunderbird to check my email while chatting with my friends on AOL IM using Pidgin IM client, or using OpenOffice to edit my documents.

Good for you, the majority will be using IE, Outlook, Messenger and Office. I didn't say, "All Windows Users", I just said "Windows Users".

Actually, there are plenty of third party apps that are available for the TREO that runs Windows Mobile. Plenty more for the TREO that runs PalmOS. Neither of those are free, but there are those applications. Many of them aren't from a company that charges for them. AND those phones sync a whole lot better. Why do I need iTunes to sync my calendar?

With due respect, Windows Mobile and Palm combined do not create the same sort of interest or have the potential that iPhone clearly has.

I've just said that they have always had a closed architecture for the express purpose of making as much money as they possible could. Good business model, but not really all that friendly to their customers needs and desires.

I think Apple knows what their customers want, which extends to a wider base than people who post on internet forums like us. Why was there so much interest in iPhone if it is so "unfriendly" to customers desires?

There are also many examples of where Apple has been friendly to the consumers needs and desires. As well as having the most liberal DRM licensing on the market, Apple also managed to persuade EMI to sell DRM free tunes. They also favour open standards in OS X: Open GL is one I have already mentioned, but there is also H.264, AAC, CalDAV, Open LDAP, Kerberos, Bonjour, the zero configuration network technology is open source. etc. etc. etc.

And I'm a HUGE Apple fan. Not a fan of the company, but a fan of the hardware and OS. Always have been. I just can't afford it.

The philosophies of the company are ingrained in the Hardware and OS. Your desperate plea of "oh please" still doesn't hide the fact you are mainly shooting from ignorance. I suggest a little research before your type.

Andrmgic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Third party developers are who made OS X what it is today, not Apple and it got that way through the SDK provided and the ingenuity of mac users. The same thing could happen (and has, albeit, without Apple's permission) on the iPhone.

Without third party Applications, the iPhone is an application wasteland, doomed to half-assed updates for the remainder of the phone's lifespan.

We got more stuff from third party developers in a week than we have from Apple yet, even with this new update.

We've got textedit, games, terminal, ftp, a vnc client, IRC client, two great IM applications (best part about these is phone calls can actually come through, unlike the web-based IM versions that are constantly transferring data, which prevents calls from coming in unless you're on Wifi), an application that lets you sync your iphone to more than one itunes library, custom wallpapers, themes, icons and ringtones, pocket dictionary, Finder (all it lacks is a search function), apps that let you e-mail files to people that aren't pictures and reside on your phone.

Apple has nothing on that, imho. Come on Apple, give us a real SDK, and then see what these talented people can do.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004

This is a joke. Web sites, no matter how advanced, are NOT what people are looking for when they ask for applications.

It is completely unpractical to demand people be online to use an "application", especially when more often than not the connectivity will be over a slow network like EDGE.

Why do you think you will still see thousands of doctors and med students using old palms and Windows Mobile devices?

Saying that 3rd party application development is available on the iPhone, when it is simply just saying "make websites" is a joke. That is why you could hear a pin drop at WWDC when Steve announced it too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.