iPhone 11 and 11 Pro Available Unlocked at Launch Day, AppleCare+ Priced at $199 for 11 Pro and $149 for 11

IG88

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2016
They could have said most expensive ever. That would definitely be true. This is getting to be ridiculous. I'm hanging on to my iPhone 8 until Apple gets the message.... people can't afford to spend $1000 on a phone.
The 11 @ $700 is $50 cheaper than last year's Xr. Why are your convinced that you must have the Pro, but it must cost significantly less?

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The 11 @ $700 is $50 cheaper than last year's Xr. Why are your convinced that you must have the Pro, but it must cost significantly less?
Imagine if people acted the way they did about buying cars as they did with their phones. "When are these dealers going to learn that people don't want 50K cars..." Tell them they have ones for 20K "But I don't like those" LOL

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
The XR costs the same as the 8 did a few years ago with double the size, twice the cameras, a host of new features. What are these "too expensive" clowns complaining about???????
Just to complain I guess. I think some of the complaints are people who legitimately feel it's too expensive. For those people it probably is because they won't get their moneys worth. Meaning if it's expensive to you then maybe the features aren't that important. I know people who are perfectly happy with a $99 prepaid Android phone so to them spending $699 is ridiculous.
[doublepost=1568157181][/doublepost]
I like that they didn't hobble the iPhone 11's cellular radio like they did the XR!

This is making the 11 a very attractive option.
Probably because they went with Qualcomm instead of Intel modems but that's just a guess.

paulbart

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
iPhone Upgrade Program Preapprovals are now live as well!
I received a notification telling me I could do the pre-approval, but I get "stuck" on the "Carrier Account" screen where I enter my phone number and last-4 of SSN to confirm my carrier (T-mobile account). It keeps saying "We're sorry. This feature is momentarily unavailable".

Does anyone else get this? It's T-mobile, which is always a bit behind on this stuff. I also recently switched to eSIM and wonder if it could be related?

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
They could have said most expensive ever. That would definitely be true. This is getting to be ridiculous. I'm hanging on to my iPhone 8 until Apple gets the message.... people can't afford to spend $1000 on a phone.
I think some of us can afford it. But it doesn’t seem worth it. For the same price that I could have purchased an 11 Max. I could have gotten a MacBook. I chose the MacBook instead of a new phone.

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I think some of us can afford it. But it doesn’t seem worth it. For the same price that I could have purchased an 11 Max. I could have gotten a MacBook. I chose the MacBook instead of a new phone.
For you a MacBook might make more sense. The price doesn't seem worth it to you because it's probably not for you. For some people the MacBook isn't worth it. TBH I'm debating on just getting the standard $699 iPhone 11

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Pretty sure there is Wifi 6 support. 5G is really not ready right now anyway.
While I agree, the bigger issue is future proofing a $1000+ device that you are likely to have for 3-4+ years.

I'm in the boat personally where I'm no longer on the yearly upgrade train. That ended with the 6s plus for me. Costs (partially because carrier deals started becoming nonexistent) just became too high.

My hopes are we get 5g capability alongside usb c next year. Even if 5g isn't in my area I'll be ready for it when it comes a year or two later.
Neither are things that the average person would be able to actually use in the next 2 years.
5g should be rolling out in most major cities within that timeline. I believe Verizon has already begun.

Some folks, myself included, keep their devices for multiple years anyway. If you're the type of person that doesn't do that, certainly it matters less. If you do, these specs may make or break a decision to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Marekul

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
So is the “iPhone payment plan” with the Apple Card just the minimum monthly payment that would be due? If so, that’s pretty sneaky because it makes it seem like a no interest plan.

boccabella

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
Why do Apple’s USA customers accept such crap warranty coverage for these ridiculously-expensive phones?

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
So is the “iPhone payment plan” with the Apple Card just the minimum monthly payment that would be due? If so, that’s pretty sneaky because it makes it seem like a no interest plan.
I think the payment plan and Apple Card are unrelated. Most phone companies in the USA have similar no interest payment plans. The catch is you have to keep their service till you pay it off. A sort of no contract, contract LOL
[doublepost=1568167203][/doublepost]
Why do Apple’s USA customers accept such crap warranty coverage for these ridiculously-expensive phones?
I'm not sure what you mean? Apple's warranty is superior to any other phone makers in the USA. I'm not sure what the warranties are like in your country.

paulbart

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
I received a notification telling me I could do the pre-approval, but I get "stuck" on the "Carrier Account" screen where I enter my phone number and last-4 of SSN to confirm my carrier (T-mobile account). It keeps saying "We're sorry. This feature is momentarily unavailable".

Does anyone else get this? It's T-mobile, which is always a bit behind on this stuff. I also recently switched to eSIM and wonder if it could be related?
I've solved my own problem, so thought I'd post here.
Apple was ZERO help with figuring this out - they just told me to "keep trying" and it'll "probably work" in a few hours.

I contacted T-Mobile. They told me that Apple will verify using the IMEI of the SIM card that came with the phone. Since I switched to eSIM, I have a different IMEI. That is likely the reason Apple's verification step couldn't get past this.

I still had the old physical SIM card, and asked T-Mobile to switch my account back to it. Once that was done, I re-ran the pre-approval process with the Apple Store App, and it went through immediately!

The last person (tech support) I spoke to at Apple thought it could have been the eSIM after I had suggested it to him, but then he went to check with someone else and hung-up on me. This was after being on the phone for over an hour - that's why I gave up with Apple and went to T-Mobile instead.

Hopefully this info will help others.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I think the payment plan and Apple Card are unrelated. Most phone companies in the USA have similar no interest payment plans. The catch is you have to keep their service till you pay it off. A sort of no contract, contract LOL
[doublepost=1568167203][/doublepost]
I'm not sure what you mean? Apple's warranty is superior to any other phone makers in the USA. I'm not sure what the warranties are like in your country.
it’s not the carrier plan. There is actually an option that says “Apple payment plan” using your Apple Card. I’m not sure if you can use another card. It appears as if it’s internet fee, but this article says otherwise.

The Apple iPhone Payments option is new this year, and it will allow users to pay for their iPhones using Apple Card to receive 3 percent back Daily Cash with each payment. Apple is not offering a no interest payment plan with the Apple Card, however.”

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Probably because it's the same with any ridiculously expensive or non-expensive phones.
To me warranty and support are big reasons I like Apple products. I have had other phones malfunction and my only option was to make an insurance claim and pay a deductible. There was no brand store I could go to and the carrier store's "help" consisted of writing the insurance phone number on a sticky note and handing it to me. I have a friend that had the famous Note 7 and they told him since they didn't have the replacement phones available they recommended he turn in the phone and do without one for the month(s) it took them to get replacements. They told him other than that he could use it at his own risk. I couldn't imagine what the media fiasco would look like if Apple told a customer this.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
To me warranty and support are big reasons I like Apple products. I have had other phones malfunction and my only option was to make an insurance claim and pay a deductible. There was no brand store I could go to and the carrier store's "help" consisted of writing the insurance phone number on a sticky note and handing it to me. I have a friend that had the famous Note 7 and they told him since they didn't have the replacement phones available they recommended he turn in the phone and do without one for the month(s) it took them to get replacements. They told him other than that he could use it at his own risk. I couldn't imagine what the media fiasco would look like if Apple told a customer this.
I will say their Mac repairs are a little ridiculous. Lots of people, myself included, use them for work. If they have to send it off for repair you would think they would have loaners. Instead they prefer you buy one and then return it when you get yours back.

russell_314

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I will say their Mac repairs are a little ridiculous. Lots of people, myself included, use them for work. If they have to send it off for repair you would think they would have loaners. Instead they prefer you buy one and then return it when you get yours back.
Most companies will have backup systems. Perhaps you should talk to your system admin and ask?

Reactions: ronntaylor

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Just to complain I guess. I think some of the complaints are people who legitimately feel it's too expensive. For those people it probably is because they won't get their moneys worth. Meaning if it's expensive to you then maybe the features aren't that important. I know people who are perfectly happy with a $99 prepaid Android phone so to them spending $699 is ridiculous.
[doublepost=1568157181][/doublepost]
Probably because they went with Qualcomm instead of Intel modems but that's just a guess.
Seems unlikely that they went with qualcomm - they didn’t settle that case until too late in the design cycle.

I guess we will find out when iFixIt gets a hold of one.