iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Hands-On: Much-Improved Cameras Within Unsightly Bump

iliria

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
UK
I much prefer the Apple of the "form over function" days. Now Apple has turned into "let's try to match competition over form". The iPhone designs since the X have gone horrid. The "borderless" screen makes the phones awkward to hold. The on/off button being located where it is makes them even more awkward. The weight of the phones when coupled with the new design makes things worse. I get finger cramps everytime I try to watch something more than 5 minutes long on my Xr. I've owned an iPhone since the 3 came out and this is the first time that I regret buying one. The 3 camera design looks like the phone has developed a pressure sore on its back. WTF Apple??

reggoboy

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
slow motion selfies as well (which Apple is infuriatingly calling Slofies)
Ah, everyone has to groan about the term "slofie", and yet use the term "selfie" in the same sentence like it was derived from the Latin and is an longstanding member of the Oxford English Dictionary.

Will "slofie" take off like "selfie"? Maybe not. But language evolves to serve it's utilitarian purposes. If people start taking a ton of "slow-motion selfies", they're not going to keep saying that. They're going to need a shortcut. You don't hear people saying, "hey, let's take a self-directed photograph together!" LOL (<--see what I did there?)

So groan quietly to yourself, and get over it. In a year, you may wish you had trademarked the term :)

Reactions: dmaxdmax

dmaxdmax

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2006
Sorry can't agree there, still hurting from the loss of the light up apple!
Me too but it's a little different since the light up apple was a major brand signifier. You'd see them all over starbucks and libraries. Nobody walks into a cafe and takes note of the camera bumps.

truthertech

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2016
You actually don't know how many phones they sell now, they removed those numbers.

They aren't reporting unit sales, but it is easily extrapolated from the revenue reports in each category that sales will be in excess of certain numbers, and as painful as it is for the Apple haters to admit, no one doubts that Apple will sell over 200 Million phones this year. It had to especially sting for them to hear that their predicted doom of last year's Xr turned out not so much, and in fact, became the best selling smart phone in the WORLD.

jonnysods

macrumors 603
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
They aren't reporting unit sales, but it is easily extrapolated from the revenue reports in each category that sales will be in excess of certain numbers, and as painful as it is for the Apple haters to admit, no one doubts that Apple will sell over 200 Million phones this year. It had to especially sting for them to hear that their predicted doom of last year's Xr turned out not so much, and in fact, became the best selling smart phone in the WORLD.
I'm actually not an Apple hater, I have every device, I was just expressing a little bit of shock at the new products this year. I want Apple to do well, but I want them to hold to the same values they started with, by looking to the needs of a user first, then finding technology to suit, it feels like its the other way around a little.

And the reality is, iPhones sell very well, but it has tapered off greatly (I think because of the price of phones, market saturation, how long the phones last because they are supported by iOS updates etc).

This was from MacRumors earlier this year: https://www.macrumors.com/2019/04/30/apple-36-million-iphones-shipped-q1-2019/

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
As I mentioned in a previous comment, camera bumps on top of camera bumps and I am done. The main thing I wanted from the camera upgrades was more zoom and more megapixels.

When zooming in on the average photo taken on an XS Max, the quality is really embarrassing, and faces lose all sort of definition beyond 15-20m. The Pro Max is so fugly that with the relative lack of advancement on the telephoto side, I don’t see it working for me.
You do know that the same is true if you use a DSLR or mirrorless to shoot jpegs, right? If you're serious about photography and post production you'll buy high quality add-on lenses and shoot RAW.

And beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you want thin and crappy, you're def not the target audience of the pro.

Last edited:

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
I seriously can’t get over how ugly the three separate camera lenses are within the huge camera bump is. I understand that it is completely subjective and purely just my opinion but I think it’s by far the ugliest iPhone they’ve ever released.
Then don't buy it. I'm sure your regular camera is prettier and doesn't have a camera bump.

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
It appears most people are only interested in the camera features.
You can get a DSLR Camera (with lens) or Action Camera for half or a third of the price. On top of that most Cameras automatically sync with your phone.
As an amateur photographer, i always walk around with my Gopro Hero.
Right. The problem is that you won't have said camera and lens along with you every day and you'll miss shots. And a decent quality lens alone costs more than the entire pro max.

kis

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
APPLE SHOULD FIRE WHOEVER DESIGNED THAT CAMERA BUMP!

How on earth did anybody at Apple think and say "Hey, that is a really great design - I LOVE IT!"

Holy crap the longer i stare at it, the uglier it gets. Looks like some fake yPhone from China.

The leaks looked better with that black square.
And hire you as I'm sure you can engineer this to look as smooth as a baby's bottom. Why don't you apply?

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Then don't buy it. I'm sure your regular camera is prettier and doesn't have a camera bump.

I’m not buying it. Sorry for sharing my opinion on forum where people discuss their opinions. If people want to buy it I’m 100% ok with it. Just like in my first post where I acknowledged it’s purely subjective and my opinion.

It’s amazing how some of you guys get so butt hurt so easily.