iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Hands-On: Much-Improved Cameras Within Unsightly Bump

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today introduced the new iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max at Steve Jobs Theater. The media had the chance to go hands-on with the devices after the keynote and have shared photos and first impressions.

[​IMG]
    iPhone 11 Pro via SlashGear

First Impressions

Most of the first impressions focused on the camera upgrades and slightly tweaked design of each new iPhone.

The Verge's Dieter Bohn said he prefers the matte finish and seamless camera bump of the iPhone 11 Pro:
    SlashGear's Chris Davies was not a big fan of the camera bump, but he does understand why it was designed the way it was:
    TechRadar's Gareth Beavis on the lower-end iPhone 11's cameras:
    Photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max via SlashGear

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max via The Verge

Videos

MacRumors will have our own hands-on video of the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro in the days ahead and in-depth coverage of the new devices.

Article Link: iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro Hands-On: Much-Improved Cameras Within Unsightly Bump

2. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

Still prefer the 'pill' camera design. Maybe it'll grow on me eventually......

3. frosty18 macrumors regular

4. InVinoVeritasty macrumors member

InVinoVeritasty

5. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Unsightly certainly is the word. It does look like somebody’s welded something to the back of the phone. The X camera was an acquired taste but extremely understated in comparison.

I’m not fond of the smartphone camera war as it wields these products which I really don’t think will age well.

6. rkRusty macrumors member

rkRusty

Alternative keynote:

"Good morning! Don't bother folks!
    Now I want to thank all of the retail team at Apple for making today possible..."

7. haydn! macrumors 65816

Let's be clear here. That camera array is ugly as hell. The rest of it though, looks as sleak as ever.

8. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Like I said back when the leaks and mockups came out, Apple will likely do something to make the bump look better and they did. I wouldn't say it's unsightly now. Ideal? Far from it, but not hideous. It actually kind of (ironically?) looks a little like a Droid from Star Wars with those three cameras and light. Give it another 10-15 years and maybe it will be projecting little holograms from that unit, lol.

9. tridley68 macrumors 6502a

tridley68

10. BGPL macrumors regular

BGPL

Apple was sure to have a distinguishing feature (two cameras vs three) so everyone knows where you stand in the apple hierarchy. It's like renting an RV and having the giant 1-800 number and the "YOU CAN RENT ME!" on the side. Everyone knows you don't actually own that s***.

11. motm95 macrumors regular

12. ilikewhey macrumors 65816

ilikewhey

that korean fella prediction is pretty spot on.

13. xxray macrumors 6502a

I started getting used to the new camera bump, then I saw the picture of the new 11 Pro Max next to the XS Max camera bump. Wow, the new iPhones are really ugly.

14. HobbesInVA, Sep 10, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2019

HobbesInVA macrumors regular

HobbesInVA

The camera bump makes the phone ugly. That is the ugliest design I can remember seeing from Apple. It makes the X and XS look even better.

15. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

What's the deal with the front facing camera? Since it's now 12MP, doesn't it have wider view on portrait as well? Why only landscape?

16. chrisdazzo macrumors 6502a

chrisdazzo

Not everyone finances their phones, bub.

17. Remy149 macrumors 6502

Doesn’t bother me the bump always disappears in the Apple leather cases

18. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

iPhone 11 camera bump looks ok.
    iPhone 11 Pro Camera bump is pushing it for me.

2nd picture from the top looks horrible.

will probably still be acceptable with a case but interesting to see Apple prioritize function over form this time.

19. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

20. now i see it macrumors 68040

I think the whole narrative of actual professional video creators using this toy as their go to camera was genuinely rediculous. Ok, let's toss out the RED camera and use an
    iPhone instead.

21. Biu_miu macrumors member

How can author convince me, that first and last pics indeed were taken today and not from iPhone X launch 2 years ago? :p

22. swingerofbirch macrumors 68040

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I can see why they didn't keep the XS in the lineup. Spec-wise it wouldn't make much difference to most people, but aesthetically it would be more pleasing. If I ever upgrade from my iPhone 7, I'll probably try to find an iPhone XS. More so because I like 3D touch than the carbuncle that's grown on the back of the phone.

23. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

The killer feature of the bump design is that it actually doubles as the Domino pizza app. You push on it with your finger and it authenticates and has your favorite pizza in memory. But only on the pro. The regular 11 doesn't resemble their logo enough to squeeze the tech into it.

24. zubikov macrumors member

We all need to accept that they stopped trying and move on with our lives.

25. AppleWes macrumors 6502

AppleWes

I'm glad the the camera bump somewhat matches the color of phone itself.

Still feels as it was added on at last minute... less symmetry and clean Apple design.