iPhone 11 Pro Max Tops Consumer Reports' Smartphone Rankings

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new iPhone 11 Pro Max has taken the top spot in Consumer Reports' smartphone rankings, with the smaller iPhone 11 Pro claiming second place, after years of Apple being consistently edged out by Samsung smartphones.

Consumer Reports said the iPhone 11 Pro models earned the top spots for having significantly improved battery life, excellent cameras, and other improvements, like a greater degree of water resistance, more durable glass casing, brighter displays, and faster performance powered by the new A13 Bionic chip.

On battery life:
For one thing, the battery life is much better. The iPhone 11 Pro Max lasted a more than impressive 40.5 hours in our testing. That's the longest stretch of any phone currently listed in our ratings. And it marks a big turnaround for Apple. Just a few years ago, iPhones tended to lag behind the competition in this area.
On the cameras:
In the case of the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max, our testers say they notched some of the highest scores in our ratings for still-image quality. The iPhone 11 also rated Very Good in this category. And all three phones received Excellent ratings for rear-video quality.
While the iPhone 11 Pro models top the list, Consumer Reports emphasized how tight the scoring is at the top of its smartphone rankings. In some categories, it said just fractions of a point separate the top models.

Consumer Reports believes those with own an iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, or even an iPhone XR can probably save their money and wait. Despite marked camera and battery life advancements, the non-profit firm said there just may not be enough in the way of new features to justify spending $999-plus on a new model.

A subscription to Consumer Reports is required to view the full smartphone rankings.

Article Link: iPhone 11 Pro Max Tops Consumer Reports' Smartphone Rankings

Last edited:

Saipher

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2014
CA, USA
Nice! Good job Apple for the release of such an amazing phone. Could it have been better in some aspects? Sure! But it still is an awesome phone nonetheless. It’s a very competitive market since most high end smartphones are great and I feel Apple did well.

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see. Throw in the news on better than expected demand, the 11 series is looking like a good one for Apple. Now we just need to kill off some more bugs in iOS 13 and we'll be there.

Have noticed series 5 watches seem to be selling well too. I haven't seen the base version "available" at my local store in the U.S. midwest since release (via the Apple Store app). Had an order in previously for delivery in early October which slid into November about a half a week out...I canceled at that point.

Reactions: The Barron

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
My 11 Pro is my best iPhone ever, especially when it comes to battery life.

With heavy usage I can get almost 2 days out of 1 fully charged battery.

Also, Night Mode is pretty amazing for a version1 on any iPhone ever

Reactions: cbaca51 and I7guy

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I am tempted since I have a 7+ but it's too expensive. I am going to wait for a carrier BOGO deal to get one.

Cosmosent

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I upgraded my XR to an 11 Pro Max, & couldn't be happier !

Almost pulled the trigger on the base 11, then almost pulled the trigger on the 11 Pro.

Read the DisplayMate review, & that convinced me to opt for the 11 Pro Max.

BTW, the Nikkei speculated that the 2019 iPhone manufacturing increase was due to an increase in demand.

I do NOT see it that way !

To me, it's simply Apple trying to get as many of the 2019 iPhone units as possible into its Sales Channel BEFORE Dec 15th, when the 15% iPhone Tariff goes into affect.

Units need to clear customs & NOT be in a warehouse (at the time of sale), to circumvent the 15% iPhone Tariff.

Very specifically, I believe Apple has recently figured-out how to place an additional ~8M iPhone units into its Sales Channel across the U.S.