Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

javier70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
Hello.. the thing is I bought my phone a week ago and didn't use the fast charging because it was getting battery drain at late night so I been using the 5w charger for a few days. This is the first time that I use fast charging and I noticed that it got hot/warm when it was charging from 5 to 50% or something like that and I been searching for info to see if it is my device that is damaged or it is software thing or its just a normal thing when using fast charging? First time using this type of chargers so Im really in need to know about this.

If someone please can help me I'll be really thankful

Thanks.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
It’s normal for the device to get a little warm when using a fast charger. But if you’re using a case it might get even hotter so try to take it out of the case at least while you charge.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect changed fast to fat.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mr.C and Wide opeN

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It’s normal for the device to get a little warm when using a fat charger. But if you’re using a case it might get even hotter so try to take it out of the case at least while you charge.

You shouldn’t have to remove a case to charge your phone, as in, that’s _not_ something that someone should have to pay attention to because of the ‘case’, this is an alternative issue with the charger delivering a higher electrical current. Fast charging typically will exceed a warmer temperature over your standard 5W charger for example.

CoronaOnTap

Suspended
Oct 24, 2019
You shouldn’t have to remove a case to charge your phone, as in, that’s _not_ something that someone should have to pay attention to because of the ‘case’, this is an alternative issue with the charger delivering a higher electrical current. Fast charging typically will exceed a warmer temperature over your standard 5W charger for example.

I know how fast chargers work and I didn’t say you have to remove your case. What I said was that removing the case dissipates the heat better.
I’m not sure what you’re getting at here though.

javier70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
It’s normal for the device to get a little warm when using a fast charger. But if you’re using a case it might get even hotter so try to take it out of the case at least while you charge.

Edit: Stupid autocorrect changed fast to fat.

So for now I should keep using the fast charger and keep an eye to see if it keeps happening or if the hot/warm is just a little and normal from the usage. Thanks everyone.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
The person I sell my iPhone 11 Pro Max to in the future will be a little happy to see that 18w charger is unused in the box. ?

FlyingDutch

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
Hello.. the thing is I bought my phone a week ago and didn't use the fast charging because it was getting battery drain at late night so I been using the 5w charger for a few days. This is the first time that I use fast charging and I noticed that it got hot/warm when it was charging from 5 to 50% or something like that and I been searching for info to see if it is my device that is damaged or it is software thing or its just a normal thing when using fast charging? First time using this type of chargers so Im really in need to know about this.

If someone please can help me I'll be really thankful

Thanks.
First of all: battery drain on an iPhone IS NOT normal behavior .
I'm usually take it off charge at 00:00 and at 6:15AM it still is at 100%.
You should investigate that issue first.
A charging iPhone, fast or slow, develops a little warming on the case, and that's absolutely normal. But if you are speaking about a phone being HOT, well, that could be not so "normal", and maybe the two issues (battery drain and excessive temperature) are related.
[automerge]1574849600[/automerge]
The person I sell my iPhone 11 Pro Max to in the future will be a little happy to see that 18w charger is unused in the box. ?
Just out of curiosity: why ? ?

javier70

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2019
First of all: battery drain on an iPhone IS NOT normal behavior .
I'm usually take it off charge at 00:00 and at 6:15AM it still is at 100%.
You should investigate that issue first.
A charging iPhone, fast or slow, develops a little warming on the case, and that's absolutely normal. But if you are speaking about a phone being HOT, well, that could be not so "normal", and maybe the two issues (battery drain and excessive temperature) are related.
[automerge]1574849600[/automerge]

Sorry my english is not good.. with battery drain I meant it was getting discharged/low battery (less than 20%) in night so I was using the 5w charger to leave it pluged all night

It gets like warm/little bit hot but not that I cant touch it. I ask because the phone is new and Im trying to see if it is normal or not. It only gets war/hot when it is going to 50% or so like the first 30 minutes and then it gets normal temperature (not warm) also the place that I get warm/hot its in the back part down.
[automerge]1574991299[/automerge]
As long as it doesn’t get too hot you’re fine.

Im still testing it. I have charged it with the fast charger two times and still the same and I updated the phone. Charged it with an XS from 20-40% or so and it didn't get warm/hot so I don't know. If all iPhones 11 Pro gets warm I think it could be normal but I'll keep doing test.

Next test it will be without the transparent clear case from Insignia to see if its because the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.