Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11 Pro Outlasts iPhone 12 and 12 Pro in Extensive Battery Life Test

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
“To preserve battery life when using 5G, a Smart Data Mode reverts to an LTE connection when 5G speeds aren't necessary.”

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/
Thank you however I’m fully aware of this feature already.

My question is if there could be further optimizations down the road. My answer would likely have to come from someone with a high technical knowledge of cellular technology. Or someone within Apple, which won’t happen lol

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

My question is if there could be further optimizations down the road. My answer would likely have to come from someone with a high technical knowledge of cellular technology. Or someone within Apple, which won’t happen lol
In other words you are asking for a forward looking statement from a Qualcomm 5G engineer or a Verizon 5G engineer and asking them to probably break their NDA by posting in a public forum? (even if one claims to be and says "yes" how is anybody going to know? No one person will ever state how they got their qualifications on an online forum)

While it's not outside the realm of possibility, I think you have more of a probability of getting a call from Tim Cook...but there's nothing lost by not asking.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive
Comment

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
In other words you are asking for a forward looking statement from a Qualcomm 5G engineer or a Verizon 5G engineer and asking them to probably break their NDA by posting in a public forum? (even if one claims to be and says "yes" how is anybody going to know? No one person will ever state how they got their qualifications on an online forum)

While it's not outside the realm of possibility, I think you have more of a probability of getting a call from Tim Cook...but there's nothing lost by not asking.
I understand it’s unlikely I would get anything official, but your response isn’t of any use. It’s just snarky. My last sentence about Apple not giving any information was enough of a tell that I understand this already.

Perhaps there are knowledgeable people, who may have heard something, or someone who’s read another forum about the cellular roadmap in finer detail.

If this forum had less unproductive responses to solid questions, it would be of much better use. Otherwise my extremely pertinent question will just get lost in the noise.

Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
I find it's pretty much in line with Apple product refreshes.

When Apple refreshes the design of the product, you get new external hardware, with modest internal improvements.

The more significant internal revisions come in the subsequent years, because the engineering team has had more time to work within the constraints of the form factor of the iPhone, as well as iron out any kinks in design and manufacturing. The tradeoff is that you are stuck with the older design. At the same time, as Apple amortises the cost of manufacturing and as the price of components drop, the subsequent iPhone models should be able to deliver better "bang for the buck", either in the form of lower prices or better specs.

My guess is that the base iPhone 13 (or 12s?) may get a third camera next year (Apple will probably want to get Lidar mainstream), but it will likely be a while before the Pro models get a fourth camera.

TL;DR - it might be worth waiting another year if you want the base iPhone model, but if you are going for the Pro, I suspect next year's pro model will not really see that significant a refresh and you won't lose much by getting the 12 Pro right now.
Probably true but the Pro will most likely get a high refresh rate display and that is a big deal for me.
Never thought I needed 120hz but after seeing it in action it’s hard for me to even consider a phone without it...

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I understand it’s unlikely I would get anything official, but your response isn’t of any use. It’s just snarky. My last sentence about Apple not giving any information was enough of a tell that I understand this already.

Perhaps there are knowledgeable people, who may have heard something, or someone who’s read another forum about the cellular roadmap in finer detail.

If this forum had less unproductive responses to solid questions, it would be of much better use. Otherwise my extremely pertinent question will just get lost in the noise.
Will wait to see what type of responses come through. However, it always seems to be optimization comes slowly down the line. Beyond the x60 chipset who knows, but I’m sure there is something. Especially since ATT is rumored to be working on 6G.

As far as the post, one snarky post calling out another for being snarky?

Last edited:
Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

So your question was completely unspecific? Whether in the future 5G will consume less power? It is pretty obvious that things like modems will improve to consume less power. Because they always have in the past.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Well, last year’s 5G phones had even worse battery life than this year’s. So, yeah things will improve over time and there will be a point when fewer and fewer people will bother to switch off 5G to save battery life. But there is very rarely just that one big thing that is just around the corner but there are dozens or even hundreds of small steps that will get us from here to there.

Comment

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
So your question was completely unspecific? Whether in the future 5G will consume less power? It is pretty obvious that things like modems will improve to consume less power. Because they always have in the past.
This is from my very first post in this thread where I ask my question.

“Does anyone know if any sort of ‘further’ software optimizations could improve battery drain while using 5G on the 12? Whether it be from Apple or the carrier. Or does it purely come down to X55 vs X60 chip.”

I thought I was being specific.

Also “purely” is the key word that demonstrates I understand that a new modem would increase efficiency, however my question was if efficiency can be improved by other means then the modem.

Comment

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
As far as the post, one snarky post calling out another for being snarky?

I disagree that acknowledging someone was being snarky, automatically makes them snarky as well.

I simply pointed out that your response did not add any technical value to me finding my answer.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
This is from my very first post in this thread where I ask my question.

“Does anyone know if any sort of ‘further’ software optimizations could improve battery drain while using 5G on the 12? Whether it be from Apple or the carrier. Or does it purely come down to X55 vs X60 chip.”
Again, I'm not sure what exactly you expect as an answer. Will Apple improve the balance of Smart Data Mode between usage of 4G and 5G further? Most likely. Will the modem firmware improve further? Quite likely. Will 5G technology at the network/tower level improve to reduce power consumption? Pretty sure it will. Will there be one single measure that will improve battery life noticeably? Almost certainly not.

To me the salient questions would be:
1) Will 5G in the medium term continue to be noticeably more power-hungry than 4G?
2) What percentage of power consumption improvements, let's say, one or two years from now will be due newer modems and what due to better software (as well has tower hardware)? Or asked differently: Does one need to buy a new phone a year or two from now to get decent battery life while using 5G?

Your question seems to rephrase my question no. 2, but in a way whether it will either be 95% due to modem improvements or whether it'll be at least 50:50 (software vs modem improvements). I think the only possible answer to this is the expected average rate of improvement (besides modem hardware) over the next year or so. Meaning, one year from now, do we expect power consumption of 5G to have gone down by 10% or by 30% (for a given phone hardware)? I'd say that 10 to 30% range is likely and that the real experts would be able to tell you which end of the range is more likely. But their responses might largely be based on looking at the historical curves of power consumption for a given technology over time (which here would be, eg, power consumption of 4G over time, power consumption of 5G from the first phones until today, power consumption of computing chips in general over time). It's not about knowing what is around the corner but more of having a prediction what is likely to be around the corner.

Last edited:
Reactions: G5isAlive and I7guy
Comment

mngdew

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
California
I hope the battery quality is better than the iPhone 11 Pro's, I had it less than a year and its battery health is @ 85% maximum capacity.

There's something wrong with your battery.
I've been using my 11 pro max 6 hours a day SOT almost everyday. Still shows 97% battery health.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I disagree that acknowledging someone was being snarky, automatically makes them snarky as well.

I simply pointed out that your response did not add any technical value to me finding my answer.
I can guarantee that going into the future the power requirements of 5G will be mitigated by better chipsets, better software, better power management, and probably tweaks to the protocols themselves.

It will follow the same path as 4G/LTE. Apple is already rumored to use the x60 chip for 2021 phones.

Waiting for someone who actually is in the know to confirm these items, could be an exercise in futility.

Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
If you have an iPhone XS or 11 Pro, just wait. You are missing nothing.
No 120hz, bad 5G (old chip and not all frequencies supported, high power draw, no dual sim ), smaller battery, same display, almost the same camera and so on.

If you have a non OLED phone, the upgrade is much more worthwhile.

Next years iPhone will probably bring 120hz, smaller notch, batter Face ID or even power button Touch ID - that will be a great upgrade!

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I wish they would stop with little spec upgrades. They add features and make you pay for that you don't want or actually hinders the usage of the device. Like a notch that eats part of your screen, a wireless charger that probably adds weight to your phone and gives you less battery, 3 lenses on a phone(its a phone with a camera, not a camera that can make phone calls).
I guess to each their own. I wouldn't call the iphone 12 a "little spec upgrade". The introduction of 5G is one of the biggest spec upgrades since the iphone 5s, which went 64 bit. The notch, imo, was the best compromise for containing the components for face id, better than a pop-up flash, bigger chin, forehead etc. Wireless charging is a feature apparently wanted by a critical mass, else Apple wouldn't have included it. I thought studies have shown the biggest feature on a camera that people want are camera upgrades. In fact, people seem to want a camera that does make phone calls.

Comment

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Maybe one day (again) Apple will adapt their technological goals to the obvious needs of customers – we all remember best People hanginga around at charger stations in airports etc.– Apple featuring engineers seem still being dazzled by Ives's design lines... :rolleyes:👎

Please:
Bigger battery volume/capacity
Small overhanging frame above glass level

Ever hear of personal responsibility? There is this thing, called, 'plan ahead.' All those people hanging around charger stations don't need phones with bigger batteries, they need to plan ahead. How many places have no power? I have a charger on my work desk and one by my bed. I have a charge cord in my car. Those three things cover 95% of my life (conservatively).

If I know I am about to fly (or any other activity when I won't have access to a charger) I do this shocking thing called, 'charge my phone before I leave.' I know, crazy right? Oh, and guess what I have in my carry on bag? A crazy big external battery that can recharge my phone 6 times. This is in case I get stuck on the tarmac for a week during covid quarantine or hijacking. Been carrying one for 10 years. Guess how many times I have had to use it? three times. All for other people who did not plan ahead (son twice, boss once).

Don't like carrying external power banks? They make cases with them built in. Boom! 50% more power, more than any phone company would design for most people. Problem solved for you!

In the meantime, I like the size of the iPhone. Wouldn't want it to be bigger, heavier to carry around. That's my use case. Why should I be penalized? Especially since there are options for people that include more power. And I doubt I am alone.

My point is, if 8 hours (conservative in most cases) is not enough battery life for you, don't push a heavier phone on others, take responsibility for your own use. Charge ahead or carry a battery pack.

edit: because this selfish point of view on battery use really irritates me, I am not a casual user. I can't count the number of cross country or transatlantic flights I have had in 10 years, well over a 100, and 3 transpacific, and never ever ran out of battery life. Because, I plan ahead. I don't expect my devices to pander to poor user planning. They do fine with the battery life they have. I dont care if the 11 is 10% better than the 12. they all do fine for reasonable use and 95% of users. The other 5% have options.

Last edited:
Comment

Denzo

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Australia

And given this website is called “macrumours” I think the question is fair to ask.
I mean the whole joint is littered with apples upcoming and apparently unknown product and design plans for fs.

Reactions: I7guy
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ever hear of personal responsibility? There is this thing, called, 'plan ahead.' All those people hanging around charger stations don't need phones with bigger batteries, they need to plan ahead. How many places have no power? I have a charger on my work desk and one by my bed. I have a charge cord in my car. Those three things cover 95% of my life (conservatively).

If I know I am about to fly (or any other activity when I won't have access to a charger) I do this shocking thing called, 'charge my phone before I leave.' I know, crazy right? Oh, and guess what I have in my carry on bag? A crazy big external battery that can recharge my phone 6 times. This is in case I get stuck on the tarmac for a week during covid quarantine or hijacking. Been carrying one for 10 years. Guess how many times I have had to use it? three times. All for other people who did not plan ahead (son twice, boss once).

Don't like carrying external power banks? They make cases with them built in. Boom! 50% more power, more than any phone company would design for most people. Problem solved for you!

In the meantime, I like the size of the iPhone. Wouldn't want it to be bigger, heavier to carry around. That's my use case. Why should I be penalized? Especially since there are options for people that include more power. And I doubt I am alone.

My point is, if 8 hours (conservative in most cases) is not enough battery life for you, don't push a heavier phone on others, take responsibility for your own use. Charge ahead or carry a battery pack.

edit: because this selfish point of view on battery use really irritates me, I am not a casual user. I can't count the number of cross country or transatlantic flights I have had in 10 years, well over a 100, and 3 transpacific, and never ever ran out of battery life. Because, I plan ahead. I don't expect my devices to pander to poor user planning. They do fine with the battery life they have. I dont care if the 11 is 10% better than the 12. they all do fine for reasonable use and 95% of users. The other 5% have options.
Apple phones sell by the boatload. It is obvious they are not that out of touch with "the obvious needs of customers" as speculated by the OP you quoted. Not everyone will want/appreciate/like Apples' design choices.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
I guess to each their own. I wouldn't call the iphone 12 a "little spec upgrade". The introduction of 5G is one of the biggest spec upgrades since the iphone 5s, which went 64 bit. The notch, imo, was the best compromise for containing the components for face id, better than a pop-up flash, bigger chin, forehead etc. Wireless charging is a feature apparently wanted by a critical mass, else Apple wouldn't have included it. I thought studies have shown the biggest feature on a camera that people want are camera upgrades. In fact, people seem to want a camera that does make phone calls.
`i see your point about 5G, but the truth is its really not that big of a deal. I am currently using 5G technology and you wouldn't even know it. Also for most people the coverage hardly exists and is limited by a monthly data cap. 5G in phones is like an F1 car on a 40mph limit road.

In the future where 5G is everywhere, no cap limits, and latency near 0 as they say...yes but thats some years away and definitely not in 2021 the year of the iphone 12.

Reactions: Act3
Comment

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
`i see your point about 5G, but the truth is its really not that big of a deal. I am currently using 5G technology and you wouldn't even know it. Also for most people the coverage hardly exists and is limited by a monthly data cap. 5G in phones is like an F1 car on a 40mph limit road.

In the future where 5G is everywhere, no cap limits, and latency near 0 as they say...yes but thats some years away and definitely not in 2021 the year of the iphone 12.
Agreed. On 5g right now outside of Atlanta. Only thing I really notice different is my battery is dropping faster on my 12.

Reactions: MacBH928
Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

The future could be here faster than you know as all wireless companies are pushing for 5G deployment. Even now, them mixed bag of messages on macrumors has posters saying a positive uptick in 5G performance speed tests. (Even if an email won't load faster, the performance tests are a good indication of where things stand)

Comment

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012

Heavy a lot words for ... just the failure of Apple e.g.you are a tourist in a strange city with a lot of videos and photos and in connection to others by mobile data, using map – then you love to take a battery pack with you in addition to other holiday equipment? Proposal:we could get even thinner iPhones o_O – I wish you much fun at holiday!

• Disagree
Comment

Raudy5

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2018
Brooklyn
Welp, I was all in for the 12 pro max until i saw this test. I'm actually excited to get an 11 pro max knowing it has stellar battery life. If you have a sig other with one of the better Android battery phones, you get an immediate idea about how much worse your own battery life is in comparison. My use case is simple: I need a phone to last for a full day of heavy use. I don't think that's too much to ask. 11 Pro Max is going to be a beefy upgrade from my XR. I think the 12pro max will still be a winner if it can come within 10% of the 11 pro max in the test in the video, but that looks to be highly unlikely.

Last edited:
Comment

G5isAlive

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2003
Heavy a lot words for ... just the failure of Apple e.g.you are a tourist in a strange city with a lot of videos and photos and in connection to others by mobile data, using map – then you love to take a battery pack with you in addition to other holiday equipment? Proposal:we could get even thinner iPhones o_O – I wish you much fun at holiday!

You pick a special case to make your point for why 98% of the year you wound walk around with a thicker /heavier iPhone to cover maybe 2% of the time you may run out of power even with planning, and you can't be bothered to carry a battery pack for that time. Well that's fine for you, but me, I dont want to carry a heavier thicker iPhone 100% of my time to cover your 2% can't be bothered time. Why don't you accept a thinner iPhone so that the rest of us can do as we please too?

Comment

dcjsail

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Texas

Arun Maini today shared a new side-by-side iPhone battery life video test on his YouTube channel Mrwhosetheboss, timing how long the new iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models last on a single charge compared to older models, with equal brightness, settings, battery health, and usage. All of the devices are running iOS 14 without a SIM card inserted.

In the test, the iPhone 11 Pro outlasted both the 6.1-inch iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro, despite being a smaller 5.8-inch device. When the iPhone 12 Pro ran out of battery, the iPhone 11 Pro still had 18% battery life remaining, and when the iPhone 12 powered off, the iPhone 11 Pro still had 14% battery life remaining.

The final rankings ended up as follows:
  • iPhone 11 Pro Max: 8 hours and 29 minutes
  • iPhone 11 Pro: 7 hours and 36 minutes
  • iPhone 12: 6 hours and 41 minutes
  • iPhone 12 Pro: 6 hours and 35 minutes
  • iPhone 11: 5 hours and 8 minutes
  • iPhone XR: 4 hours and 31 minutes
  • iPhone SE (2020): 3 hours and 59 minutes
These rankings are of course missing the iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPhone 12 Pro mini, which will be available to pre-order starting November 6.

Teardowns and regulatory filings have revealed that the entire iPhone 12 lineup features slightly lower battery capacities. iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models share a 2,815 mAh battery, for example, while the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro are equipped with 3,110 mAh and 3,046 mAh batteries, respectively.

While the more power efficient A14 Bionic chip in Apple's latest iPhones helps to offset the lower battery capacities, this test shows that the iPhone 11 Pro still lasts longer than the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro under heavy, continuous usage.

Apple's tech specs indicate that the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro provide up to 17 hours of video playback, compared to up to 18 hours on the iPhone 11 Pro, so Apple does acknowledge that the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro have slightly less battery life.

It will be interesting to see a real-world battery life test for the iPhone 12 Pro Max, as Apple's tech specs suggest that the device has equal battery life as the iPhone 11 Pro Max, at least based on its own metrics. Apple lists both devices as providing up to 20 hours of video playback and up to 80 hours of audio playback.

Article Link: iPhone 11 Pro Outlasts iPhone 12 and 12 Pro in Extensive Battery Life Test

I have found the iPhone 12 Pro battery to be just as bad as iPhone X.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.