Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11 Pro Outlasts iPhone 12 and 12 Pro in Extensive Battery Life Test

jableskg

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2008
My iPhone X is at 88% capacity and I'm on the fence about updgrading. Is it that significant of an improvement features wise? Would I be able to stretch it for another year with my phone at 88%? Overall my X works solid still.

Reactions: clunkmess
Comment

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
That would make the phone bigger and heavier and result in usage issues for those who want a smaller phone.
if you want a small phone then flip phone which is great in size and has small battery.

Reactions: GDF
Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
The bigger screen on the Pro Max version likely will have a big difference. I feel like this was not the year to go thinner at the expense of battery capacity. 5G is a monster.
Give me a break!! Seriously? It's not like the Pro Max screen is 10X bigger. Man people here purposely make a mountain out of a molehill simply because it's Apple. SMH

Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
According to all the negative Nancies here against Apple's iPhone 12 I'll bet that new Samsung Fold offers 5 times longer battery life....

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive
Comment

ght56

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2020
My iPhone X is at 88% capacity and I'm on the fence about updgrading. Is it that significant of an improvement features wise? Would I be able to stretch it for another year with my phone at 88%? Overall my X works solid still.

Going from the X to 11 Pro was one of the most significant usability jumps I ever made. It was not groundbreaking in terms of new technology, but everything worked radically better. I would expect this with the 12 as well. That said, you could probably get another year until we get the further refined version of the 12, which by then we will likely see better 5G networks and much better real-world runtimes (as a result of chemistry improvements, network improvements, and electronic efficiency improvements.) The 12 even with the current state of 5G networks will have crazy better runtimes than your X.

Reactions: clunkmess
Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
You say most people won’t care. It’s exactly this mentality that Apple doesn’t innovate anymore or really step up their game. They know they will sell because the sheeple will flock to buy them. All they do is give tiny little spec upgrades that is really meaningless.

I wish they would stop with little spec upgrades. They add features and make you pay for that you don't want or actually hinders the usage of the device. Like a notch that eats part of your screen, a wireless charger that probably adds weight to your phone and gives you less battery, 3 lenses on a phone(its a phone with a camera, not a camera that can make phone calls).

• Disagree
Reactions: G5isAlive
Comment

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Maybe one day (again) Apple will adapt their technological goals to the obvious needs of customers – we all remember best People hanginga around at charger stations in airports etc.– Apple featuring engineers seem still being dazzled by Ives's design lines... :rolleyes:👎

Please:
Bigger battery volume/capacity
Small overhanging frame above glass level

Comment

Tsepz

macrumors 68040
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
The bigger screen on the Pro Max version likely will have a big difference. I feel like this was not the year to go thinner at the expense of battery capacity. 5G is a monster.
Absolutely agreed, if anything this was the year to either keep the same battery capacity as 11 series or give the phones slightly larger capacity. The fact that they chose to chase thinness while also chase 5G is beyond mind boggling, people would have understood that 5G needs more power and so would have understood the thicker/bigger phones. The 12 Pro Max should have had a 4200mah battery at least, but I’ll wait to see it’s battery test results, however the 12 Pro results are already showing that the 12 Pro Max will probably be a step backwards from 11 Pro Max, such a shame. :(

I dread to imagine how the 12 Mini will perform on 4G and don’t even want to think about that poor little thing using 5G.

Comment

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
It’s so they can claim next year that the iPhone 13 has 1 hour improved battery life, lol.

In all seriousness though, we’ve just entered phase 3 of the pandemic in the US with no end in sight. I work remotely and have no travel plans for the next year. I get a new iPhone every year with the iPhone Upgrade Plan. This battery life thing affects me personally 0%. It’s 10pm and my iPhone 11 Pro is at 42% and I’m always within 10ft of a charger.

I’m also moving up to the Max this year because of the camera so I’ll have a similar or better battery anyway. Guess it sucks for people who aren’t at home all day. They should have left out the weak magnets and used that volume for battery.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

ght56

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2020
Youre kidding me right?

No, I'm serious. It's completely expected with the realities of 5G, and it's not a bad runtime. Obviously, these times don't correspond to real-world usage. They simply compare to each other in a high-drain test. The 11 Pro/Pro Max has insanely good battery life...way better than any iPhone before it. The 12 isn't as good, but it's still not a bad runtime, and way better than say the iPhone Xs or X. That certainly doesn't make it a bad phone.

• People want a compact form factor on this type of device (at least I do) and Apple is known to prioritize form factor
  • The logic board with the addition of 5G is physically larger on the iPhone 12
  • The capacity of the battery is consequently smaller
  • The A14's efficiency growth and battery chemistry improvements have not advanced fast enough to compensate
  • Users in areas with 5G will likely observe much worse battery life...a reality with the current state of 5G
If battery life is more important than everything else, then someone should buy an iPhone 11 Pro. I have one and I cannot say enough great things about it, and someone wanting the absolute best battery life should stay far and away from 5G phones for a while.

(edit - I did not realize the 12 was so much thinner than the 11...that decision does confuse me a little bit at this specific point in time.)

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Thanks to coconutBattery I have some battery history. It goes roughly like this:

Phone 1:
  • Month 6: 100 cycles -> 98%
  • Month 14: 300 cycles -> 87%
  • Month 22: 500 cycles -> 87%
  • Month 25: 570 cycles -> 75%
Phone 2:
  • Month 27: 300 cycles -> 76%
  • Month 36: 500 cycles -> 61%
  • Month 37: 525 cycles -> 54%
  • Month 38: 550 cycles -> 34%
Phone 3:
  • Month 50: 200 cycles -> 90%
  • Month 60: 200 cycles -> 88%

These are just a few datapoints but it seems 500 cycles is approximately the point when the battery capacity starts to drop noticeably, though of course it is a combination of age and cycle count.

Comment

upandown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2017
Does anyone know if any sort of ‘further’ software optimizations could improve battery drain while using 5G on the 12? Whether it be from Apple or the carrier. (Excluding UWB) Since 5G speeds aren’t always better at this point, one can infer that there will be optimizations on the carrier side to make things faster. Perhaps it’s possible it will improve efficiency as well? Or does it purely come down to X55 vs X60 chip.

Experts please chime in.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Does anyone know if any sort of software optimizations will improve battery drain while using 5G on the 12? Whether it be from Apple or the carrier. (Excluding UWB) Since 5G speeds aren’t always better at this point, one can infer that there will be optimizations on the carrier side to make things faster.
“To preserve battery life when using 5G, a Smart Data Mode reverts to an LTE connection when 5G speeds aren't necessary.”

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-12/

Comment

murphsp1

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Absolutely correct. The 11Pro / 11Pro Max is likely superior along at least one dimension - battery life. To some of us, this is one of the most important features of a phone. The 12 Pro Max isn't available yet and the 11 Pro Max is completely unavailable from Apple.

Comment

Denzo

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Australia
One thing that blown me away ha been the battery of the iPhone 12 pro. I’ve been smashing it and gets me through the day with ease and I’m using it a lot turning it on every 5 mins at the moment.

Reactions: upandown
Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Absolutely correct. The 11Pro / 11Pro Max is likely superior along at least one dimension - battery life. To some of us, this is one of the most important features of a phone. The 12 Pro Max isn't available yet and the 11 Pro Max is completely unavailable from Apple.
A 10 or 20% difference in battery life doesn't really change anything. Depending on my usage I charge my iPhone 11 Pro once or twice per day (well, I plug it in every time it is charge level is below 50% and I am near a charger). Now how is a 10% increase in battery life really changing that? By slightly reducing the number of days I do charge it twice per day. But I'm not counting them so it highly unlikely that I even would notice a difference.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.