Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 11 Pro Outlasts iPhone 12 and 12 Pro in Extensive Battery Life Test

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I have a feeling next year’s modem will be more refined for battery drain, which should give Apple the ability to include 120hz. I agree, it wasn’t included this year due to the massive hit both would have. Probably a good decision, even though other companies are itching to become “first”.
Ltpo panels will allow them to add it next year which will help alot with using less power

Comment

jdoyle

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2004
The biggest improvements this year is from the regular iPhone 11 to the 12. I really don’t see much need to upgrade from the 11 Pro to 12 Pro. And it’s just poor to actually go backwards on battery life without even factoring in 5G. The battery life on the 11 Pro Max is the single most amazing thing about it. It’s 8:40pm here and I am sitting on 68%. It’s like a paradigm shift where I actually don’t even have to worry about battery life now. Shame that the newer iPhone Pros don’t match it.

Reactions: George Dawes
Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Waiting for the 13 was the right call.
Too many sacrifices with the iPhone 12, probably due to the pandemic.
Still a great phone and better than any android.

• Haha
Reactions: G5isAlive
Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Not that anyone cares, but I was disappointedly, largely unimpressed with the new iPhones this year. The MagSafe cases are flimsy per MKBHD’s testing, I couldn’t care less about 5G or LiDAR, and the differences in the new form factor will be covered by a case.

I know “then don’t buy one,” or “why even comment,” well, fair point, but - seeing this battery test just makes it even more disappointing.

I wish we would’ve seen a smaller notch and a higher display refresh rate.

just my $0.02
Agree 100%. This is why I’m also waiting.

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Sure it is, as tech always improves and people will not settle for less battery life. That is a guarantee.

11 pro max battery life was beyond great and maintaining 8-13 hours screen on time on a single charge isn’t realistic not with 5G and 120hz refresh rate even with LTPO technology.

Comment

slippery-pete

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2007
This sucks. A step back in battery life isn’t good.

Hopefully the 12 Pro Max is better than the 12 and 12 Pro...might not equal the battery life of 11 Pro Max, but keeping fingers crossed.

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Waiting for the 13 was the right call.
Too many sacrifices with the iPhone 12, probably due to the pandemic.
Still a great phone and better than any android.
I find it's pretty much in line with Apple product refreshes.

When Apple refreshes the design of the product, you get new external hardware, with modest internal improvements.

The more significant internal revisions come in the subsequent years, because the engineering team has had more time to work within the constraints of the form factor of the iPhone, as well as iron out any kinks in design and manufacturing. The tradeoff is that you are stuck with the older design. At the same time, as Apple amortises the cost of manufacturing and as the price of components drop, the subsequent iPhone models should be able to deliver better "bang for the buck", either in the form of lower prices or better specs.

My guess is that the base iPhone 13 (or 12s?) may get a third camera next year (Apple will probably want to get Lidar mainstream), but it will likely be a while before the Pro models get a fourth camera.

TL;DR - it might be worth waiting another year if you want the base iPhone model, but if you are going for the Pro, I suspect next year's pro model will not really see that significant a refresh and you won't lose much by getting the 12 Pro right now.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's a 15% drop in battery life, not great. I feel like we got what the carriers wanted - 5G and not what consumers actually wanted - 120Hz display.
if it were up for a vote mine would have been 5g.
Still a remarkable phone, but would've it have killed them to make the phone thicker, get rid of the camera bump and give us all fantastic battery life? I've never seen anyone ever complain the iPhone is too thick.
Not sure it’s universal rule that people prefer bigger, thicker heavier phones.

Comment

Macaholic868

Contributor
Feb 2, 2017
In other news water is wet. You’ve got a new phone with 5G and an improved camera with a battery no bigger than the previous model. No doubt battery life will improve some as iOS 14 progresses but if you think it’ll be significantly better than the 11 I’ve got a bridge in New York to sell you. On a serious note my iPhone 12 Pro arrived yesterday, I get a very noticeable speed bump when on AT&T’s 5G network and good luck trying to rip the new camera out of my cold, dead hands ... LOL ....

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What happened to Apple's 10hr promise?

Also, I appreciate this guy staying for 7-8 hours just to do this experiment for us.
What 10 hour promise did Apple make? Do you believe all these tests that are on YouTube are real world use cases for the majority? Is this YouTuber doing this for free? or do clicks translate into revenue? Finally who really cares, it is what it is...the phone will sell, most people won’t care, imo...I believe one day battery life of typical usage is sufficient for the masses.

Comment

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
What 10 hour promise did Apple make? Do you believe all these tests that are on YouTube are real world use cases for the majority? Is this YouTuber doing this for free? or do clicks translate into revenue? Finally who really cares, it is what it is...the phone will sell, most people won’t care, imo...I believe one day battery life of typical usage is sufficient for the masses.

You say most people won’t care. It’s exactly this mentality that Apple doesn’t innovate anymore or really step up their game. They know they will sell because the sheeple will flock to buy them. All they do is give tiny little spec upgrades that is really meaningless. Can you really notice the difference in speed between A13 and A14? No. Can you really tell a difference between 4gb ram vs 6gb ram? No. Is there really a big improvement in camera coming from an 11? No. Has FaceID improved at all? No. Is the battery bigger than it’s predecessor? No, it’s smaller. Will most people benefit from 5G at this point in time? No. MagSafe? Abysmal failure.

They have become just a greedy corporate with no ambition.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You say most people won’t care. It’s exactly this mentality that Apple doesn’t innovate anymore or really step up their game. They know they will sell because the sheeple will flock to buy them.
If this is the mindset of the hundreds of millions of customers, and Apple knows it, you can't fight it. Might as well go with the most innovative android brand. Other than the hyperbole, it seems Apple knows it's customer base and maybe the posters in this thread who don't see innovation or fail to see that Apple is delivering, have choice.

All they do is give tiny little spec upgrades that is really meaningless. Can you really notice the difference in speed between A13 and A14? No.
Qualcomm is doing the same thing. Intel is doing the same thing. Incremental upgrades in speed, but under the covers there is much going on that is not surfaced, until a site like Anandtech does a deep dive into the processors.
Can you really tell a difference between 4gb ram vs 6gb ram? No.
Yes, I think if one were to do the right comparison side by side.

Is there really a big improvement in camera coming from an 11? No.

• 2.5x vs 2x telephoto optical zoom
  • Sensor Shift OIS vs Single OIS
  • 5mm larger 7P vs 6P lenses
  • F/1.6 vs F/1.8 wide angle lens aperture
  • Larger sensor and pixels for better low-light shots
  • LiDAR camera for AR/VR apps
  • Dolby Vision video, Smart HDR 3, Deep Fusion 2, Night Mode Portraits
This seems like a yes. Whether one cares about it is a different question to ask.
Has FaceID improved at all? No.
Why would it have to?
Is the battery bigger than it’s predecessor? No, it’s smaller.
Yes it is and this means what exactly? People won't buy the iphone 12? Out in the real world separate and apart from tech enthusiast sites, my anecdotal opinion is people want their phones to last a day with their usage. There are always those fringe cases whereby the phones would never last a day even with a Tesla sized battery.

Will most people benefit from 5G at this point in time? No.
The people in major metropolitan areas will benefit from 5g.
MagSafe? Abysmal failure.
Magsafe, imo, needs a software update. So what?
That's your opinion, others have a different opinion. Of course, if one really feels that way, thankfully other smartphone manufacturers exist to fill in the void.

Comment

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
This sucks. A step back in battery life isn’t good.

Hopefully the 12 Pro Max is better than the 12 and 12 Pro...might not equal the battery life of 11 Pro Max, but keeping fingers crossed.
Even if the 12 Pro Max is the same or even a little less than the 11 Pro Max, it will be a godsend for anyone updating from a XS Max or older.

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
You say most people won’t care. It’s exactly this mentality that Apple doesn’t innovate anymore or really step up their game. They know they will sell because the sheeple will flock to buy them. All they do is give tiny little spec upgrades that is really meaningless. Can you really notice the difference in speed between A13 and A14? No. Can you really tell a difference between 4gb ram vs 6gb ram? No. Is there really a big improvement in camera coming from an 11? No. Has FaceID improved at all? No. Is the battery bigger than it’s predecessor? No, it’s smaller. Will most people benefit from 5G at this point in time? No. MagSafe? Abysmal failure.

I see it as more that Apple innovates in areas that the general consumer cares about, rather than pander to tech enthusiasts and their never-ending spec wish list.

For example, the A14 processor is what will enable a minimum of 5 years of software support for these devices. 6gb ram is likely there to enable the better cameras, with the speedy on-device photo processing made possible by the A14 chip as well. And because consumers know these devices will continue to be supported for a good long time, it helps preserve their resale value as well, always a boon when they want to sell their current iPhone a few years down the road to help fund the purchase of a new model.

Likewise, the majority of people getting the iPhone 12 will be upgrading from an iPhone 7 or 8, so it's going to represent a significant upgrade for them. Only a small group will be trading in last year's model, so claiming that the iPhone 12 doesn't seem that much better over the iPhone 11 is missing the forest for the trees. Yes, it may technically be true, and it's not going to matter to the majority of users.

I am guessing it's the same for 5g and battery life. Maybe the tech needed for 120hz refresh rate simply isn't ready at this time (or isn't available in the quantities that Apple needs). Or maybe Apple compared the two and decided that users would likely be hanging on to their iPhones for at least 3 years, 5g would be considered the more future-proof of the two. And what constitutes acceptable battery life is a never-ending debate given how different people have differing workflows, but again, Apple generally caters to the mainstream, so most users will likely have sufficient juice to see them through a typical day.

Same with Magsafe. Apple is likely trying to kickstart a new ecosystem of accessories, and I am quite excited to see what new products other companies come out with. Maybe it will take off, maybe it won't, we will have to see.

That's meaningful innovation, the consumer knows it, and thus vote accordingly with their wallets.

Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
No big deal for me. Find myself always charging in the car which keeps phone topped off. 11pro now and will eventually go to 12 pro .....or 13?
It's not a big deal for most people. It's the usuals that are paid by Samsung to come here and wreak havoc on the latest iPhone. Battery life is subjective based on the apps used. The Anti Apple crowd (AKA Samsung employees paid to post negatives here) just love to come here looking for anything negative about Apple. Had this been a drop in battery life for Samsung's latest smartphone you wouldn't hear a single word of complaints on the web.

Comment

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
I see it as more that Apple innovates in areas that the general consumer cares about, rather than pander to tech enthusiasts and their never-ending spec wish list.

For example, the A14 processor is what will enable a minimum of 5 years of software support for these devices. 6gb ram is likely there to enable the better cameras, with the speedy on-device photo processing made possible by the A14 chip as well. And because consumers know these devices will continue to be supported for a good long time, it helps preserve their resale value as well, always a boon when they want to sell their current iPhone a few years down the road to help fund the purchase of a new model.

Likewise, the majority of people getting the iPhone 12 will be upgrading from an iPhone 7 or 8, so it's going to represent a significant upgrade for them. Only a small group will be trading in last year's model, so claiming that the iPhone 12 doesn't seem that much better over the iPhone 11 is missing the forest for the trees. Yes, it may technically be true, and it's not going to matter to the majority of users.

I am guessing it's the same for 5g and battery life. Maybe the tech needed for 120hz refresh rate simply isn't ready at this time (or isn't available in the quantities that Apple needs). Or maybe Apple compared the two and decided that users would likely be hanging on to their iPhones for at least 3 years, 5g would be considered the more future-proof of the two. And what constitutes acceptable battery life is a never-ending debate given how different people have differing workflows, but again, Apple generally caters to the mainstream, so most users will likely have sufficient juice to see them through a typical day.

Same with Magsafe. Apple is likely trying to kickstart a new ecosystem of accessories, and I am quite excited to see what new products other companies come out with. Maybe it will take off, maybe it won't, we will have to see.

That's meaningful innovation, the consumer knows it, and thus vote accordingly with their wallets.

Ok so you’re basically saying the A13 is not powerful enough to allow for 5 years of software support? I have a hard time believing that.

So the iPhone 11 will not be supported for a good long time and their resale value will drop significantly? I have a hard time believing that.

Sure more RAM is never a bad thing, but you’re saying that 4gb is just simply not enough for the camera processing? I have a hard time believing that too.

So other manufacturers were able to get 120hz into their flagship but Apple can’t? I have a hard time believing that.

A small percentage of users will benefit from 5G but at the cost of battery. All users would benefit from 120hz.

I have voted with my wallet and I’v chosen not to upgrade because this upgrade is worthless to me. I had the iPhone X since launch and only got the 11 Pro Max 2 months ago because my X battery was dead.

The only real positive thing I can say about the iPhone 12 is the design. It is a nice design I will give them that. But that’s simply not enough to entice me to buy.

Why during this pandemic has Apple not added TouchID (either under display or power button), they’ve done it before. Why did they skip it on this release? FaceID could have been improved to allow for detection of a mask.

Apple has admitted that the MagSafe can leave a mark on leather cases and the phone itself. Really Apple? This is what their innovation is?

You’re right about one thing though. Apple does know it’s target audience very well. The sheeple lol.

Comment

Tozovac

macrumors 68000
Jun 12, 2014
It’s exactly this mentality that Apple doesn’t innovate anymore or really step up their game.

As a 15-year convert from Microsoft (and a never-Androider), I have a lot of criticisms towards Apple especially since their putting fashion in front of function that was especially noticeable starting with iOS7, but let's be real here, it is possible to "innovate less noticeably" once the low-hanging fruit has been exploited (Macintosh computer, iPod, iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air, AirPods, etc.), so it's hard to fault Apple if they appear to mostly refine nowadays than shock and awe.

But it's also hard to not fault Apple at times when their "innovations" result in noticeable cons for many (cons that are still felt to this day, such as headphone jack removal, magsafe removal on MacBooks, ports reduction, charging cable removal, charging block removal, corded headphones removal, etc.), as well as their (misplaced, IMHO) shift in focus to delicate design in place of robust functionality (robust in both durable hardware and intuitive software interfaces). My critique on the delicateness of their phones is because they are devices that are held and carried (and dropped) more than anything else by humans nowadays, and my critique on their shift ~2013 to a less-obvious less-intuitive software interface is because the iOS/iPad OS is offering more and more complex apps where the prior more-obvious software interface cues would have been welcome.

I think the ambition is still there, but with the unavoidable expectation of revenue growth by stockholders coupled with the unavoidable increasing difficulty to innovate in a mature area that's had most of the low-hanging fruit already exploited, it's hard to fault Apple to try to make money in more "esoteric" ways. I don't like it either, especially when my wallet is hit in ways I don't like spending money on, as a result of their "innovation" (i.e., having to buy USB docks, having to buy dongles to retain flexible usability with my 4 year old MacBook, having to soon buy my own new charging blocks and cords, etc.). They're kinda stuck here.

I see it as....

...the consumer knows it, and thus vote accordingly with their wallets.

Now there's one thing I agree with you 100%. For the customer upgrading from a four-year old iPhone or iPad, there's some useful, noticeable innovation at each leap. For the enthusiast customer upgrading every 12 months, it's awful hard to expect shock & awe each time. None of us are going to again experience shock & awe, like when replacing their flip phone with their first iPhone. It's the difference between planting grass and coming back in 2 weeks to take a look vs. watching the yard for hourly changes.

Last edited:
Comment

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
And please no one tell me to go buy an android phone if I’m unhappy with Apple. I have invested a lot in the Apple ecosystem that I will not move. But I also won’t buy their products if it’s just a minimal upgrade at a higher price.

Sure people who are coming from older phones will benefit but they can just as easily benefit from the 11 at a cheaper price and a bigger battery.

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Ok so you’re basically saying the A13 is not powerful enough to allow for 5 years of software support? I have a hard time believing that.

So the iPhone 11 will not be supported for a good long time and their resale value will drop significantly? I have a hard time believing that.

Sure more RAM is never a bad thing, but you’re saying that 4gb is just simply not enough for the camera processing? I have a hard time believing that too.
None of the above seems to be what is being said in the OP quoted.
So other manufacturers were able to get 120hz into their flagship but Apple can’t? I have a hard time believing that.
Yes, with significant compromises of heft, battery life, turn on and off 120mhz based on resolution, etc.
A small percentage of users will benefit from 5G but at the cost of battery. All users would benefit from 120hz.
In your opinion.
I have voted with my wallet and I’v chosen not to upgrade because this upgrade is worthless to me. I had the iPhone X since launch and only got the 11 Pro Max 2 months ago because my X battery was dead.
I am voting with my wallet also, everyone should do what they feel is right.
The only real positive thing I can say about the iPhone 12 is the design. It is a nice design I will give them that. But that’s simply not enough to entice me to buy.
In your personal use case.
Why during this pandemic has Apple not added TouchID (either under display or power button), they’ve done it before. Why did they skip it on this release? FaceID could have been improved to allow for detection of a mask.
Maybe Apple hasn't included touch id because hardware just can't be slapped in and has to be planned for over a year in advance? Maybe tweaking face id to recognize masks would cause a severe downstream impact with security?
Apple has admitted that the MagSafe can leave a mark on leather cases and the phone itself. Really Apple? This is what their innovation is?
Has anyone seen the leather case instructions and does it say to not use magsafe? If so Apple is just reiterating. If not, how many really care about this as a talking point?
You’re right about one thing though. Apple does know it’s target audience very well. The sheeple lol.
Yep, and you don't have to be part of it. Do what you want. Express whatever your opinion is. But don't expect everybody to agree.
[automerge]1603551972[/automerge]
And please no one tell me to go buy an android phone if I’m unhappy with Apple. I have invested a lot in the Apple ecosystem that I will not move. But I also won’t buy their products if it’s just a minimal upgrade at a higher price.

Sure people who are coming from older phones will benefit but they can just as easily benefit from the 11 at a cheaper price and a bigger battery.
How would you know what the requirements of the masses are?

Comment

I7guy

macrumors Penryn
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, nice rhetorical exercise but for me beside the point(s).
• Wired charger is not included, Apple charges extra money. Claims environment. Inductive charging, however, is less environmentally friendly as it is very inefficient 15w -> 8-9w real charge, whereas 20w -> 19w. Selling chargers extra takes more packing and volume.
Nice straw-man. Apple is for the environment yet includes wireless charging which is less efficient than corded. Working to be greener or carbon friendly is not binary. One can take baby steps to get there without being labeled as hypocritical.
• Exactly! The battery should be enhanced to counter processor and display. That's technical progress and innovation!
So is there any innovation in the iphone 12?
• Exactly! If you put a 50pounds rucksack on your back, you're gonna run slower and less fast. So get rid of the rucksack. Make the battery more efficient, again. This is a Phone, not a raw-power super computer!
It seems there is a balancing act between heft and battery and usability.
• 5G has many more issues. Sure, one can switch it off.
What issues? And is there the same issues for 100% of the people with the iphone 12?

Comment

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I am saying that however long the iphone 11 will be supported, the iphone 12 should get at least one more year because of its better specs.

I am saying that all other things equal, the iphone 12 should be supported for an additional year compared to the iphone 11 and the former would have a slightly better resale value to reflect this.

Apple is not a company that just throws in additional specs for the sale of filling out a spec sheet. That’s why they work so hard on the whole hardware+software integration aspect, because the more optimised their products are to run on lesser specs, the less hardware like ram they can include in their devices (which in turn translates into lower manufacturing costs and consequently more profits).

So you can be sure that if the 12 pro and pro max have 6 gb, then it’s likely because the system demands it, and not because Apple is feeling generous. And the key difference between the pro and non-pro models is really the camera system as far as I can see.

The 2020 iPad Pro released earlier this year also sports a Lidar camera and 6gb of ram, so I have reason to suspect it’s due to this.

The thing is that the other manufacturers were not able to get 120hz into their phones without also incurring significant compromises. IIRC, Samsung phones with said feature cannot support it at their highest resolution, and it also incurs significant battery drain and heat.

When we look at how features like face ID are implemented, it’s clear that Apple just wants hardware to disappear into the background. They want these features to just work without the end user having to think about it (like how Face ID reveals your lock screen notifications when you look at your phone and hides them when you look away).

It may be another reason we haven’t seen faster refresh rates on iPhones yet - the hardware may be ready, but Apple is still deciding how to go about implementing it in the software side (ie: what use cases would really benefit from this faster refresh rate and what wouldn’t), rather than simply enabling it wholesale.

That’s what users pay Apple to do - make the tough decisions for them so they don’t have to.

5g is taking off in a number of Asian countries such as China and South Korea, and maybe Apple feels that supporting it is a necessity if they are to compete in those markets.

I agree that more people would arguably benefit from 120hz, when Apple is able to implement the feature “right”.

To each their own. I am also holding on to my 8+ (for the moment at least), mainly because of how convenient touch-ID remains when wearing masks outdoors.

I like the red colour of the iPhone 12. Maybe I will ultimately cave in before the end of the year. We will see.

My guess is that there simply wasn’t enough time.

Knowing how Apple works, the iphone 12 design would likely have been locked in last year, at around the same time that the iphone 11 was announced, and long before anyone knew that the pandemic would become a problem in 2020.

It was simply not possible for Apple to revise such a major aspect of the iphone, much less go about procuring the components needed in so short a time. As it stands, Apple is likely already moving mountains just to make the iphone happen this year.

This is simply the reality for a company that operates at the scale of Apple.

Maybe the next iphone will bring Touch ID back in some fashion, maybe it won’t (if Apple thinks that COVID-19 will have largely blown over by then and most people won’t need to wear masks).

It is what it is. My guess is that it will be a much smaller deal than the internet currently makes it out to be. I suppose we will have to wait and see.

Again, to each their own. No need to sound like you have been living in the matrix all this while and have just woken up.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.