Carrier iPhone 11, Pro, Pro Max (2019) AT&T US Pre-orders, Orders and Delivery Status Thread

Which version will you be purchasing?

• Total voters

looselaces85

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2017
I usually buy my phone unlocked from the apple store. But the wife is in need of an upgrade. When pre ordering for ATT is it easier to order through the att website or through the apple app. I usually do store pick up. Thanks in advance

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I am so lost with the pre-order process through AT&T. I am hearing mixed things.

I do AT&T Next every year option, how do I know how many payments I need to pre-order? Also, some say it is 30 with $5 extra per month but the app shows 24. Not sure if I am better off paying it full and going with the iUP?

Reactions: O-Sho and jjm3

iDrummer3

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2012
Middle TN
I am so lost with the pre-order process through AT&T. I am hearing mixed things.

I do AT&T Next every year option, how do I know how many payments I need to pre-order? Also, some say it is 30 with $5 extra per month but the app shows 24. Not sure if I am better off paying it full and going with the iUP?
AT&T eliminated the Next every year plan recently. The wording is confusing but it seems like you can select the 24 month plan and pay a $5 monthly fee that does not count toward the balance of the phone and upgrade after 50% paid off. On the surface, it looks similar to the next every year with a $5 monthly charge added on. I’m using my Next every year upgrade to order Friday morning but I will have to pay my last installment before I can upgrade. I’m guessing the 24 month will be similar next year.
[doublepost=1568195686][/doublepost]

Go to the MyAtt app and look at upgrade options. It will show you phone on the yearly upgrade installment and tell you that you can upgrade by paying x amount and trading in your device. Make sure to pay that off sometime before Friday and when you go to preorder, choose that line and hit upgrade. Once you receive the phone, you will also get a trade in kit that you pack up your current device and send back to ATT. Once they verify it is in good working order, they will remove it from your account. You have 14 days to return from the time you receive your new device and trade in kit.

tellemfred

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2009

You can also go to http://att.com/payoffnext and see exactly how much you’ve paid, what’s left to upgrade, what’s left to own it completely, etc.

Last edited:

SBA

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
Does anyone know if you can enroll in the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple using an at&t line that still has a Next balance on it, but without paying that balance off?

Asking because my wife's phone was purchased last year using an available upgrade on my phone number. Hoping to just use my phone number to enroll in the IUP without having to also pay off her Next balance.

Reactions: jjm3

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
AT&T eliminated the Next every year plan recently. The wording is confusing but it seems like you can select the 24 month plan and pay a $5 monthly fee that does not count toward the balance of the phone and upgrade after 50% paid off. On the surface, it looks similar to the next every year with a $5 monthly charge added on. I’m using my Next every year upgrade to order Friday morning but I will have to pay my last installment before I can upgrade. I’m guessing the 24 month will be similar next year.
[doublepost=1568195686][/doublepost]
Go to the MyAtt app and look at upgrade options. It will show you phone on the yearly upgrade installment and tell you that you can upgrade by paying x amount and trading in your device. Make sure to pay that off sometime before Friday and when you go to preorder, choose that line and hit upgrade. Once you receive the phone, you will also get a trade in kit that you pack up your current device and send back to ATT. Once they verify it is in good working order, they will remove it from your account. You have 14 days to return from the time you receive your new device and trade in kit.
You can also go to http://att.com/payoffnext and see exactly how much you’ve paid, what’s left to upgrade, what’s left to own it completely, etc.
Thank you both for taking the time to explain this. I always preorder with the Apple Store app but whenever I go to the link I don’t see the pay to upgrade or how much I have left. I see $600 left but that can’t be right (most likely the payoff amount)

Also, are you guys staying with Next? Is IUP a better option now with the extra $5 per month?

O-Sho

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Thank you both for taking the time to explain this. I always preorder with the Apple Store app but whenever I go to the link I don’t see the pay to upgrade or how much I have left. I see $600 left but that can’t be right (most likely the payoff amount)

Also, are you guys staying with Next? Is IUP a better option now with the extra $5 per month?
Are all the ATT Next plans requiring additional $5 per month? They keep changing it up and making it even more confusing. Also, the App Store app didn’t show the 24 month next upgrade in 1 year option for me even though my current iPhone 7 Plus is completely paid off.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Are all the ATT Next plans requiring additional $5 per month? They keep changing it up and making it even more confusing. Also, the App Store app didn’t show the 24 month next upgrade in 1 year option for me even though my current iPhone 7 Plus is completely paid off.
Yes, it’s basically the same as the ATT Next Every Year just with a $5 a month. Are you selecting the trade in option for your 7 Plus? If you do, it does not bring up the 24 months.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
I also keep getting stuck here. Do I select no, because I need to send the phone back to AT&T to do the Next every year upgrade?
You select No. Since it’s not payed off you can’t trade it in for store credit.

Chacocliff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2014
Thats what I thought, but just wanted to double check. They have changed up the language on the order screen this year.

Oridus

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2012
Does anyone know if you can enroll in the iPhone Upgrade Program through Apple using an at&t line that still has a Next balance on it, but without paying that balance off?

Asking because my wife's phone was purchased last year using an available upgrade on my phone number. Hoping to just use my phone number to enroll in the IUP without having to also pay off her Next balance.
Yes. Two different financing programs.

Reactions: SBA

JohnnyChuttz

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
Yay! In on page one! I have pre-ordered on AT&T NEXT Every Year(since iPhone 7) and have never failed to get a launch day device.

To make pre ordering a breeze:
- Pre-pay any Next balance you have prior to Friday
- Make sure you do not have any due or past due bill amount. Site will not let you continue.
- Clear your cart - For every line. In boredom one year, waiting for 2am to roll around, I was fiddling with upgrade pricing on my wife's line. I had some upgrade started and device selected on that line, in another browser tab. I was not able to continue with mine until I cancelled it all out.
- Order from a desktop/laptop if possible. Point a browser to the AT&T countdown page as early as possible. This is you place in line as long as the browser window is open.

Last edited:

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Yay! In on page one! I have pre-ordered on AT&T next every year(since iPhone 7) and have never failed to get a launch day device.
How’d you go about paying what you need to to pay to upgrade this year? Mine is showing that I need to pay the full remaining of the whole phone to upgrade while it usually shows the installments left...

Reactions: urbanwoodsman

JohnnyChuttz

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
How’d you go about paying what you need to to pay to upgrade this year? Mine is showing that I need to pay the full remaining of the whole phone to upgrade while it usually shows the installments left...
http://att.com/payoffnext

Untitled.png

If the amount paid is 50% you should be good.

A good way to tell is to login to your AT&t account and see if your device is "Trade-in Ready" attempt to start an upgrade.

Last edited:

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008
Ah, the most wonderful time of the year, haha!!

iPhone 11 Pro Max in Green, please. Got a clear case on order. Already ordered the AW S5.

Going to be a great 09/20!!

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
So, here's what I can't find. I have my phone. Call it Phone A. I have the apple store app on phone A. I want to use Phone A to upgrade Phone B as a gift for someone, but it seems I can't do that via the app. Is there a way to choose which phone number I want to upgrade on a different phone?

auburnfan24

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2008
has anyone seen anything about at&t trade in on apple site? usually it will ask if you are trading in your device for upgrade ... I did not see the option this year with the new apple trade in stuff.

does that just process upon order?

JohnnyChuttz

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2017
So, here's what I can't find. I have my phone. Call it Phone A. I have the apple store app on phone A. I want to use Phone A to upgrade Phone B as a gift for someone, but it seems I can't do that via the app. Is there a way to choose which phone number I want to upgrade on a different phone?
For someone not on your cell phone plan, correct?
You can only setup a IUP for a line on your At&t account, say your wife, child, etc, with the Apple App.

I can go through and pre-order 2, one for me and one for my wife, or just upgrade my wife's line solo, without issue.
[doublepost=1568227569][/doublepost]
has anyone seen anything about at&t trade in on apple site? usually it will ask if you are trading in your device for upgrade ... I did not see the option this year with the new apple trade in stuff.

does that just process upon order?
All of this pre-pre-ordering stuff is through the Apple Store App

It's literally the first question it asks.

phone.jpg