Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
These speeds don't seem very good in either case. I've seen much higher speeds with my old iPhone X (Asia/Pacific Qualcomm-based model A1865) on the Three network in London.

iPhoneX_speed_test.png

Reactions: ilikewhey

MCKLMT

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2018
France
These speeds don't seem very good in either case. I've seen much higher speeds with my old iPhone X (Asia/Pacific Qualcomm-based model A1865) on the Three network in London.

I observed that the LTE speed seems to be slower in US than in Europe.
Maybe it's 13% faster when you are in an area with a good coverage. However, the issue with previous iPhones (XS | XS Max) with Intel modems was that the reception with bad coverage was very bad.

MX20

Suspended
Sep 28, 2018
Tim Cook told you the iPhone 11 came with notch screen is specifically sell for the peasants which only got 13% faster LTE performance in a rural area.

macrumorman1

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2019
I wonder if this thanks to Intel modem or QC one?!
And i hope the signal to be better and more reliable...because an 15% increase at peek of it is not the real deal

This is exactly what I want to know. I have a dead zone near my house where other family members have older iPhones with Qualcomm modems and they work fine but my XS with the intel modem has issues. Worth the upgrade for me just with that if its Qualcomm

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Nice to see they keep improving their 4G tech to the very end - the dual radio Xs series seemed to have some problems (that the single radio Xr apparently didn't). This represents what is probably the best of the Intel modem tech and should be good.

yea I dont understand why they left out 5G , I know 5G has not rolled out yet but its called future proofing your device

That one is easy. Here in the states the Samsung s10 5G is the main example of 5G you can buy. The 5G phone tech is a serious battery hog, that often overheats and turns itself off (as reviewers have found out). So yeah you don't want to deploy that - especially when the carriers barely have it deployed much (and most users won't notice the difference).

Reactions: MacNeb

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think the 11 pro is gonna be a beautiful phone. 13% faster LTE speeds is definitely a nice boost. Don’t know why people are so upset with it. Apple continues to produce the nicest phones on the market. We’re way past the days of big excitement leading up to announcement day to see what cool design apple came up with. Hardware has matured. Everything is a rectangle with glass. Now it’s camera, features, and subscriptions. Except for the notch. But I’m very happy with what the 11pro has to offer. I’m on the upgrade program so I’ll be getting it. And I’m pretty excited.
It will be a beautiful phone. But those of us who also have tried Android phones know consumers really got the short end of the stick in Apple’s battle with Qualcomm. For a few years now my Android phones with Qualcomm modems usually have performed better as phones because they’ve had the better modem inside. And apparently often had better mics and antenna arrangements, too.

Android phones also have some features that make you realize what Apple could be doing even with such a mature device. Fortunately I do think Apple is starting to wake up because I see signs Apple wishes to keep up. For example, I was quite pleased to see that zoom audio is a feature for all of the new iPhones. I’m loving that feature on my Note 10+.

But ultimately Apple does have iOS which is the must-have feature for many of us. I have loved using my Android phones but have no wish to go exclusively to them. If push came to shove and I had to give up my second line I would be fine going exclusively with an iPhone.

Reactions: PC_tech and MacNeb

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
yea I dont understand why they left out 5G , I know 5G has not rolled out yet but its called future proofing your device
First generation 5G phones are power hog battery killers due to needing to use a separate modem chip. Qualcomm won’t launch an integrated 5G modem until next year.

Early 5G adopters are going to be very disappointed with what they’re getting for all the extra money (both device and data plan) they’ll be paying.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacNeb

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
Its funny how people here think LTE will become irrelevant with 5G... you do realise all the promises about 100% coverage will never come to fruition because of the immense costs associated with it. Most of the rural areas will stay at technology with better penetration/range because nobody will want to invest that much money for such a low population density.
5G most likely will be interesting in metropolitan areas in a couple of years, but for all the rest I expect LTE to stay relevant... which is exactly where I miss high data speeds most

so yeah... this matters.

whoknows2597

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2019
Not as nice of boost as 5G that’s rolling out everywhere but Apple
Rolling out everywhere? A good portion of the US has yet to even receive 4G LTE, let alone 5G. To install the new 5G antennas here would take until 2025 to even be viable for a few cities. Can’t imagine how it will be for those rural towns.

Last edited by a moderator:

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
13% faster...
Publisher: "Find me something to write about... anything."
:p

That's 13% across all 4 on average counting both download and upload. It's more when you break it down carrier by carrier. Over 20% faster download on Verizon and 17% faster download on T-Mobile.

Reactions: Wide opeN

MacUser09425

Suspended
Aug 2, 2019
Out West
Because the Qualcomm deal took too long to make. By then there was no way to meet deadlines.

I think it’s going to be real interesting to see how resale value for these Pros (and even XS’s) holds up this time next year. People can say they’re not interested in the speed that 5G brings, but once they see it in next year’s keynote everyone will want it.

Reactions: Wide opeN

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007

The speeds in the chart are an average over the entire country. You showing one faster test is irrelevant to the point. Do thousands of tests across the whole country and your average will be much lower than can 1 test show.

The actual average LTE speed in the UK for the whole country is only around 30 Mbps.

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
Hardware has matured. Everything is a rectangle with glass. Now it’s camera, features, and subscriptions.
Same could be said about desktops years ago: Hardware has matured, everything is a box with a screen.

But look how Mac changed under Steve. The first iMac, the second one, the third revision. It all was very different from just a ‘box with a screen’. Same was with laptops. iBook, MacBook Pro. It depends on the imagination and vision. What Samsung is doing now with folding phone is also very different from just a rectangle with a glass. The technology isn’t there yet, but they are experimenting. Hardware hasn’t matured. It will always evolve.

eulslix

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2016
I think it’s going to be real interesting to see how resale value for these Pros (and even XS’s) holds up this time next year. People can say they’re not interested in the speed that 5G brings, but once they see it in next year’s keynote everyone will want it.

Of course everyone will want it, why wouldn't you take potentially faster speeds for "free".
It's rather that for people who will buy a 11 Pro, next years upgrade probably will be as much iterative as this years upgrade to people with an XS. 5G is just not the must have yet. It most likely will be by the time people with the 11 will want to upgrade again. That's what I suspect at least.

Reactions: 5105973 and raybo

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
For all those people complaining that Apple should have added a ProMotion display, or 5G, keep in mind that both would have significantly effected battery life. The fact that Apple has added 4-5 hours of battery life, alone, should have been the biggest announcement and get far more positive reactions.

I think Apple designed the 11 and 11 Pro’s to be more future proof with things they really didn’t talk about, like the ultra wide band chip and move to Wi-Fi 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.