Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jong875

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2015
And yet, no one here knows how you really treated your phone. All you said was that you ‘put it in your pocket alongside your wallet’. So anything could’ve scratched it in the pocket, and you’re blaming Apple for that? How do we know that this wasn’t due to your own negligence? Or a credit card might’ve scratched your display, etc. Again, don’t blame Apple for something that not everyone else is experiencing because you’re upset that you damaged your own display. Take responsibility.
[automerge]1570556822[/automerge]

There are ‘plenty of news articles’ about the iPhone Pro scratching? Do you care to share these links specifically about these ‘news articles’? Obviously something came in contact with it that you’re not aware of, you’re confused and upset, but you want to direct your blame at Apple for something that you did. I don’t understand your mindset. Why don’t you call Apple directly and tell them what happened, and what do you think they’re going to tell you?

you can keep making your assumptions and fan boy out. Don’t really care, but take some responsibility and do a google search it isn’t hard. Obviously something did come in contact with it. That isn’t being debated, but what is - is it isn’t holding up like prior models and is easier to be scratched. Come on man read a little

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
This is the one I use. It's pretty good, easu install, and protects the notch area:

Great screen protector. Been using it since the iPhone X. Love it covers the entire front and even notch. Many can’t even notice I have a screen protector. The edge is black too so when on your phone it blends in.

daviesified

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
After just a few weeks my iPhone 11 Pro Max has multiple obvious scratches all over the screen. The back and frame are both perfect.

I’ve had every iPhone, never used a case on any of them and have never had scratches like I’ve got on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I dread to think what it will look like 12 months from now.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Are people really that naive though? No, it shouldn’t scratch easily. That doesn’t mean that it won’t. If people use common sense and apply a screen protector they significantly reduce their chances of getting a scratch on their screen.

it’s not about being naive. My 6 Plus still looked great after 5 years compared to some of the recent phones. They are worried about them breaking, not scratching.

Reactions: jbachandouris

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
it’s not about being naive. My 6 Plus still looked great after 5 years compared to some of the recent phones. They are worried about them breaking, not scratching.

I mean, I can disagree there. My 6s Plus was the first model I really noticed the scratches, and they came right away, probably due to the larger screen. I got it replaces within a week and have been getting a screen protector ever since. I dabble with cases, but go naked 95% of the time with screen protectors now, but that is because those micro scratches bother me, if they didn't, I wouldn't.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Ok I thought I wasn't going to put one on, and noticed a ton of microscratches yesterday. I keep it in my pocket, with nothing else in it. So this morning I put on a AINOPE Screen Protector and you can't see the micro scratches anymore.

Only issue, I feel like this doesn't cover enough of the screen, and the bottom left of it is slightly to the right even though I used the guide frame. So I have some rainbowing in the bottom left if I'm looking at it just right, etc. I don't want to peel it off and move it cause that causes the corners to not stick down and look like ****.

Anyone have a really good screen protector that fits perfect from Amazon? Otherwise, when this one gets ******, I may just go pony up for the $40 dollar Belkin. My wife doesn't give a ****, and is still rocking hers naked. LOL.

austyn23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2017
Anyone have a really good screen protector that fits perfect from Amazon?

I like Spigen brand, but they don´t cover all the screen, they leave the notch area naked. Don´t know why a brand like spigen do that, maybe there is an explanation?

The scratches also affect the camera square? the glass over the lenses I mean...

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
I think we have become ridiculous consumers of tech - there is no ‘god phone’, perfect and defect proof. Glass will scratch like every iPhone iteration. My MP has no scratches yet despite accidentally being in a pocket with a broken pin badge (!!).

Manufacturing defects notwithstanding of course - I wonder whether the production method went wrong somewhere and incorrectly applied the oleophobic coating?

Either way, use your refund/warranty period, keep calm and carry on.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I mean, I can disagree there. My 6s Plus was the first model I really noticed the scratches, and they came right away, probably due to the larger screen. I got it replaces within a week and have been getting a screen protector ever since. I dabble with cases, but go naked 95% of the time with screen protectors now, but that is because those micro scratches bother me, if they didn't, I wouldn't.

There must be some variability in quality. Between my wife and I, we used a 6 and 6 Plus for 5 years. I could have passed them off as nearly new.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Either way, use your refund/warranty period, keep calm and carry on.

frankly I hate screen protectors but when I saw the amount of scratches I had last night I was in awe. I couldn’t believe it. I’m not going to use 1 of my 2 AppleCare warranties for this yet. They will say I caused it and it’s not covered under warranty, if they’ll even agree for me to change the screen. Because technically scratches aren’t covered by AppleCare+ either.

anyhow it is unnoticeable unless you are specifically looking for them, and once I applied this specific screen protector, scratches became non-existent.

lastly I wouldn’t trade it in now, because the new screen may suffer the same fate so until they acknowledge and change the manufacturing process I’ll just be in same boat.

——

As for the spigen I would like the notch to be covered. I’m more concerned about the width of the screen protector.

----

Also last thing, I think Apple did a disservice but showing this phone surviving in a pocket book that's why I decided to not put the screen protector on in the first place.

Last edited:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I'd love a protector that covers the notch. I went Spigen and was more focused on easy installation than the notch.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I'd love a protector that covers the notch. I went Spigen and was more focused on easy installation than the notch.
Not sure if it fits but my wife's xs Max is using a glass screen protector that covers the notch.
20191009_133204.jpg
20191009_133225.jpg

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Not sure if it fits but my wife's xs Max is using a glass screen protector that covers the notch.

What brand is it? Link?
[automerge]1570642770[/automerge]
I may just go naked, and if it gets real bad, then I'll bring it in for AppleCare+ screen replacement. I really hate this protector I have on. It's driving me nuts.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
If it covers the notch it will reduce the quality of your front facing camera ....
It doesn't really affect the quality of the selfie camera unless you have a bunch of fingerprints on it. I usually wipe them off before taking a picture.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
The harder the glass the more brittle. Example Plexiglass in not brittle at all but scratches easily. Clearly Apple chose a more fracture resistant glass at the cost of hardness. Assuming this isn't the coating everyone is scratching. Some watch companies use acrylic glass because it doesn't break easy but sure does scratch. I think acrylic is a requirement for watches worn on a space ship as you don't want a fracture sapphire crystal in 0 gravity.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.