Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
True. I used to sell but not anymore. AUP too easy. I used to baby my devices. Now I take care of them but use them for me, not a buyer.

What’s the difference? If it’s nice for a buyer then it’a nice while I’m using it too. I can’t even tell it;s on there.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
What’s the difference? If it’s nice for a buyer then it’a nice while I’m using it too. I can’t even tell it;s on there.
If you can’t tell then it is perfect for you. Unfortunately, for me, I can tell and feel. The stock screen feels perfect and with glass I can see the extra ‘depth’, especially with text. I also really dislike how they look on the screen (edges). They work for some people but some of us just have to be a bit more careful and/or AC+.

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
You never stop learning. Thx! Now I have a new bedtime story for my Speedy to tell ;)
Yeah, I have been dabbing in horology lately, modding my Seiko SKX007 and looking into the histories of various companies. Bulova was one of those companies (obviously). I wanted to learn more about the various watches i own from Tissot, Bulova, Hamilton, Citizen, Tudor (Rolex) and Timex. Really interesting histories of all these companies.

Reactions: Superrenz

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Throughout my life, I'm always the guy who never has a problem with everything that everyone else seems to have a problem with.

iPhone 11 pro, no screen protector, no case since launch day. No scratches on the back or front. Work 40 hours a week, hike on weekends, active.. etc. Zero scratches.

No idea if maybe I'm just more careful than most people, or other people are just extremely reckless. How someone scratches this phone is beyond me. Are they putting car keys in their pocket along with their phone? Likely. Are they putting it face down on a table and pushing it around? Spinning it, perhaps?

It scratches because of your bad habits. Honestly... unless you somehow got faulty glass, which I highly doubt.

User error all the way. Sorry.. just don't get it. Never have these problems that so many people seem to have. And I've never used a case or screen protector on any of my phones.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Throughout my life, I'm always the guy who never has a problem with everything that everyone else seems to have a problem with.

iPhone 11 pro, no screen protector, no case since launch day. No scratches on the back or front. Work 40 hours a week, hike on weekends, active.. etc. Zero scratches.

No idea if maybe I'm just more careful than most people, or other people are just extremely reckless. How someone scratches this phone is beyond me. Are they putting car keys in their pocket along with their phone? Likely. Are they putting it face down on a table and pushing it around? Spinning it, perhaps?

It scratches because of your bad habits. Honestly... unless you somehow got faulty glass, which I highly doubt.

User error all the way. Sorry.. just don't get it. Never have these problems that so many people seem to have. And I've never used a case or screen protector on any of my phones.

If two major you-tubers notice the 11's scratch much more easily....than something is different and the claim is legitimate. I could turn this around on you and say you're way to retentive, and that is why your phone is still pristine...but I would not know that for sure. So, its not fair to ascribe the issue to someone's bad habits.

Reactions: AndrewR23

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
If two major you-tubers notice the 11's scratch much more easily....than something is different and the claim is legitimate. I could turn this around on you and say you're way to retentive, and that is why your phone is still pristine...but I would not know that for sure. So, its not fair to ascribe the issue to someone's bad habits.

I agree with you. I'm not making the claim that the screen doesn't scratch more easily than previous versions. I'm saying the cause of the scratched screens are bad habits.

Some bad habits include...

- setting phone face down on desk (many people do this) and sometimes even spinning it around, moving it across a desk (a tiny object can cause a scratch by doing this
- placing their phone in the center console of their car with other junk (keys, pennies, etc)
- placing phone in pocket with keys, pocket change etc.

So yes, while the new phones may have less scratch resistant screens than before, the cause of those scratches are still because of 'bad habits' in my opinion. You can call me retentive for not putting my phone in positions where it won't scratch - I'll take it. Whatever protects my investment.

I think it's good to bring this topic up and raise awareness so Apple might work on creating a tougher glass next time around. However, I would argue that an easier solution is to be more mindful of what you put your phone through.

By the way, if it's not bad habits, what is it? Is there a brand of jeans that create some kind of mega sharp pocket lint? Are there gym shorts capable of scratching glass?

Check out this tweet below. If the claim is true (only in pockets), we need to find out what brand of clothing this person is buying so we can all avoid it! ?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
Scratchgate my arse. JerryRigEverything on yourtube has scratched tested iPhones for a long time now. The iPhone 7, 8 X, XS, 11 and 11 Pro have all scratched at a level 6 Mohs pick with deeper grooves at a 7. Nothing to see here.
Exactly my thoughts. So did the iPhone pro scratch at a lower mohs value than previous models? I haven't watched his videos lately.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Every iPhone screen is scratchable regardless of the model that's why Apple puts a plastic sheet on it out of the box. and you should put a screen protector on once you buy it.

Reactions: Martyimac

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Every iPhone screen is scratchable regardless of the model that's why Apple puts a plastic sheet on it out of the box. and you should put a screen protector on once you buy it.
Hahaha!!
In all seriousness, if you have Apple Care then just do an express replacement (overhearing or mic issues) every now and then. Warranty express replacements won’t count as one of your AC claims.

Jimmie Geddes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Have had my Midnight Green Pro Max since launch day. No scratches on display or anywhere, no case, keep it in my pocket with nothing else. Same as previous iPhones.

Waveuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
I thought the same until this morning I saw a big and deep scratch on the top right corner. Is is almost like a shallow crack.

I was working from home yesterday and phone did not fall or was next to keys or sand.

Something like this does never happened to me as I am very careful with my phones. Really very disappointed

I have AC+ so need to think how do I play this.

Waveuk

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
CB7C8AF7-9969-41C6-A479-2D4774D4745A.jpeg

A picture of the scratch.

psy_duck

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
yeah it sucks for people who like their iPhones naked. Hopefully they make the coating better next year because this is just ridiculous! this is my 3rd iPhone 11 pro max and all 3 got scratched in the first week. i assume these micro scratches are only from going in and out of the pocket of my pants/shorts, because i am super careful with my phones. oh well i guess, the risks we take for carrying it fully naked lol

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
My iPhone pro Max screen after less than 2 weeks. Quite horrendous. Worst I’ve seen on any iPhone and I’ve owned them all. My other 11 pro is also noticeably bad after 5 days of use

View attachment 867588

Any one looking at this scratching is NOT FROM ABUSE!

I bought my wife a iPhone 11, that replaced her new recently acquired iPhone 8.

I ordered a case and screen protector for the iPhone 11. And her iPhone 11 is already covered in scratches.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
These new iPhone are 100% flawed.

I have compared over 8 iPhone 11 Pro’s in the Apple store which are less than 3 weeks old, yet the screens look far worse than my 2 year old iPhone X.

And my iPhone X has much higher abuse over 2 years as I use it in my pockets while the demo iPhones don’t ino pockets over a peroid of only 3 weeks.

There are over 1000+ users on the Apple forum who have this issue and there are many news articles about this topic, so I believe it now based on what I am seeing in comparison to my 2 year old iPhone X.

Reactions: guesswho183
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.