Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
So does anyone have a recommended screen protector besides the Belkin $40 that extends a little further. I mean mine is kinda tight, I hate seeing that line down. And I think I absolutely must keep mine on.

My wife on the other hand, doesn't care whatsoever LOL.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Its not an illusion or the owners fault. 11 / Pro / Pro Max series iPhone glass does scratch easily.

Reactions: Wide opeN

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
The harder the glass the more brittle. Example Plexiglass in not brittle at all but scratches easily. Clearly Apple chose a more fracture resistant glass at the cost of hardness. Assuming this isn't the coating everyone is scratching. Some watch companies use acrylic glass because it doesn't break easy but sure does scratch. I think acrylic is a requirement for watches worn on a space ship as you don't want a fracture sapphire crystal in 0 gravity.
correct! That is the reason why Omega’s original moonwatch has an acrylic crystal. Scratches easily but with a tube of polish it looks like new.
[automerge]1570662815[/automerge]
No problem. In all my years with iPhones I've probably used that camera 2-3 times.

They can remove it for all I care.
Same over here. My kids see that slightly different...

LBM4

Suspended
Sep 26, 2019
correct! That is the reason why Omega’s original moonwatch has an acrylic crystal. Scratches easily but with a tube of polish it looks like new.
[automerge]1570662815[/automerge]

Same over here. My kids see that slightly different...
Did you know that on Apollo 15, one of the astronauts Omega watches screen popped and broke? He had to use a backup watch that was approved by NASA. It was the Bulova Lunar watch. Only other watch, besides Omega Speedmaster, to be used on the moon.
[automerge]1570663334[/automerge]
So does anyone have a recommended screen protector besides the Belkin $40 that extends a little further. I mean mine is kinda tight, I hate seeing that line down. And I think I absolutely must keep mine on.

My wife on the other hand, doesn't care whatsoever LOL.
I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gesma-iPhone...inch/iPhone+Xs+MAX+2018&qid=1570663237&sr=8-1

It is edge to edge, looks good and fits my Spiegen case perfectly. For $10, you get 2 as well. I have been using it and no complaints so far.

Reactions: Superrenz

Superrenz

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Did you know that on Apollo 15, one of the astronauts Omega watches screen popped and broke? He had to use a backup watch that was approved by NASA. It was the Bulova Lunar watch. Only other watch, besides Omega Speedmaster, to be used on the moon.
[automerge]1570663334[/automerge]

I got this one: https://www.amazon.com/Gesma-iPhone-Pro-Max-2019/dp/B07WP5HY4C/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Gesma+Screen+Protector+for+iPhone+11+Pro+Max+6.5+inch/iPhone+Xs+MAX+2018&qid=1570663237&sr=8-1

It is edge to edge, looks good and fits my Spiegen case perfectly. For $10, you get 2 as well. I have been using it and no complaints so far.
You never stop learning. Thx! Now I have a new bedtime story for my Speedy to tell ;)

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas
I don't use phones without tempered glass so I have never gotten scratches on a phone. Tempered glass is something I always have based on habit

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
My dad (who is the least tech savvy person I know) upgraded from an iPhone X to the 11 Pro.

He asked me today why the screen is so bad after 2 weeks with scratches. Comparing his 2 year old X to a 2 week old 11 Pro, the screens look identical. Thats pretty sad.

Screen protector from Amazon on the way but there is 100% something wrong with the screens this year.

Reactions: Wide opeN

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Scratchgate my arse. JerryRigEverything on yourtube has scratched tested iPhones for a long time now. The iPhone 7, 8 X, XS, 11 and 11 Pro have all scratched at a level 6 Mohs pick with deeper grooves at a 7. Nothing to see here.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
My dad (who is the least tech savvy person I know) upgraded from an iPhone X to the 11 Pro.

He asked me today why the screen is so bad after 2 weeks with scratches. Comparing his 2 year old X to a 2 week old 11 Pro, the screens look identical. Thats pretty sad.

Screen protector from Amazon on the way but there is 100% something wrong with the screens this year.

Lol, last year.

Year before

Pretty much the same every year.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
Scratchgate my arse. JerryRigEverything on yourtube has scratched tested iPhones for a long time now. The iPhone 7, 8 X, XS, 11 and 11 Pro have all scratched at a level 6 Mohs pick with deeper grooves at a 7. Nothing to see here.
I thought the camera lens glass was stronger but this doesn’t make me think that. Unless he wasn’t referring to micro scratches in the coating

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I just don’t understand why people don’t use screen protectors. Like you spend 1000+ dollars on a phone with a beautiful screen and use the screen anytime you look at your phone. Just throw a 10 dollar screen protector on.
$1,000 phone with a cheap piece of glass or plastic covering the main point of interaction. I’ll never understand.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I'm just going to say it...

Screen protectors are dumb and take away from the look and feel of the phone.

I choose to take my chances with Otterbox Defender (this takes away from the phone, but not the screen) and wear my iPhone on my hip. I've learned regardless of how careful you are, YOUR PHONE WILL EVENTUALLY SCRATCH FROM YOUR POCKETS PERIOD!!!

If you're fine with that, by all means proceed. Or you'll have to get a screen protector or be like me and not pocket your phone. I choose the latter and like my UK friends would say "have gotten on fine".

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I'm just going to say it...

Screen protectors are dumb and take away from the look and feel of the phone.

I choose to take my chances with Otterbox Defender (this takes away from the phone, but not the screen) and wear my iPhone on my hip. I've learned regardless of how careful you are, YOUR PHONE WILL EVENTUALLY SCRATCH FROM YOUR POCKETS PERIOD!!!

If you're fine with that, by all means proceed. Or you'll have to get a screen protector or be like me and not pocket your phone. I choose the latter and like my UK friends would say "have gotten on fine".
This. I even picked up a sleeve for my 11PM so I can toss it in my wife’s purse. I’m using it more than I thought I would. It fits with the Apple Leather Case on it. It’s by WaterField Designs. No scratches so far.

Random note.. one way clean your screen is blow off any dust and use your finger (clean) to wipe smudges off. If using microfiber cloths, don’t cheap out. Replace occasionally.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I thought the camera lens glass was stronger but this doesn’t make me think that. Unless he wasn’t referring to micro scratches in the coating

I think they use a sapphire coating on the lenses. That'd be pretty hard to scratch unless you like to keep diamonds in your pocket with the phone.
[automerge]1570671452[/automerge]
$1,000 phone with a cheap piece of glass or plastic covering the main point of interaction. I’ll never understand.

The screen protector is hardly noticeable. Better safe than sorry. When I trade my phone in next year it will be in brand new condition.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
I think they use a sapphire coating on the lenses. That'd be pretty hard to scratch unless you like to keep diamonds in your pocket with the phone.

The screen protector is hardly noticeable. Better safe than sorry. When I trade my phone in next year it will be in brand new condition.
No disrespect meant.. why keep it flawless for someone else? I trade in my phone every year via AUP and they don’t care about small scratches in screen or coating.. then again I rarely have any. I haven’t used screen protectors in almost a decade. I can see them and feel them. Glass or plastic, they kill the hardware experience for me.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
No disrespect meant.. why keep it flawless for someone else? I trade in my phone every year via AUP and they don’t care about small scratches in screen or coating.. then again I rarely have any. I haven’t used screen protectors in almost a decade. I can see them and feel them. Glass or plastic they kill the hardware experience for me.
Because it has better value when in perfect condition.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Not with Apple Upgrade Program. I give them my phone and get the new one. Again, almost a decade and basic care .. little to no scratches.

But if you want to resell it it does make a difference. Just like a car. Mint condition is better resale value.

PBz

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2005
SoCal
But if you want to resell it it does make a difference. Just like a car. Mint condition is better resale value.
True. I used to sell but not anymore. AUP too easy. I used to baby my devices. Now I take care of them but use them for me, not a buyer.

Reactions: michael31986

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008

Both scratched at level 6.

rdillon2008

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2018
Bahamas

For me, I use a screen protector and a case as soon as I take it out the box. I sold my 256gb xs max for $950 because it was in perfect condition. If the person saw scratches, the price would of been less. I will be damned to pay $1350 for my phone and apple gives me $600 for it. I take anything once it is more than $600.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Jul 11, 2008
For me, I use a screen protector and a case as soon as I take it out the box. I sold my 256gb xs max for $950 because it was in perfect condition. If the person saw scratches, the price would of been less. I will be damned to pay $1350 for my phone and apple gives me $600 for it. I take anything once it is more than $600.
That’s cause it comes with Apple care and to be fair they would give you 600 for a beat up scratched phone which is more than an outside seller would give.

Apple upgrade is only worth it if you trade in and don’t baby your phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.