Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it worth the $300 upgrade to sell 11Pro and buy 13Mini?

• Yes

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 18 50.0%

• Total voters

Frixos

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
I currently have the 64GB iPhone 11 Pro, and I like the idea of a smaller phone. I checked out the 13Mini at the Apple stores and I really like it (the screen is only 0.1" smaller than the 8 Plus!).

The question is: is it worth selling my 11Pro and buying the 13Mini? I think I could sell it, and then buy the 13Mini by adding another $300 or so to the money I would get from the 11Pro.

I guess the reason I'm looking at doing this is because Apple (seemingly) is moving away from the Mini, and I really like the form factor.

The things I would get: 5G, twice the storage, somewhat better wide lens, smaller form factor.
Things I'd lose: telephoto lens.

But is it worth the $300 upgrade?

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I went from 8+ to 13mini and it’s lovely. The ability to use it so easy one handed how small it feels it’s just so easy to take and go with you. Highly recommend.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
The 13 Mini is overall worth the $300 upgrade (upgraded in every way except the Telephoto lens and S/S Frame/frosted glass back), but the 11 Pro is a very good phone also, and the second best size (5.8") after the 12/13 Mini.

Don't feel rushed though, as the 13 Mini will be sold by Apple for the next couple of years probably, as well as third party sellers.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I currently have the 64GB iPhone 11 Pro, and I like the idea of a smaller phone. I checked out the 13Mini at the Apple stores and I really like it (the screen is only 0.1" smaller than the 8 Plus!).

The question is: is it worth selling my 11Pro and buying the 13Mini? I think I could sell it, and then buy the 13Mini by adding another $300 or so to the money I would get from the 11Pro.

I guess the reason I'm looking at doing this is because Apple (seemingly) is moving away from the Mini, and I really like the form factor.

The things I would get: 5G, twice the storage, somewhat better wide lens, smaller form factor.
Things I'd lose: telephoto lens.

But is it worth the $300 upgrade?
I would keep the 11 Pro, unless you really really must have a smaller phone (and the 11 Pro is actually quite small already, it’s the size of the SE).

The 11 Pro is almost perfect in many fronts. Great battery life, 3 cameras, great performance, great form factor. Its only Achilles heels is probably the intel modem. But the 11 Pro is the most refined before Apple changed the design with the 12.

I would keep it.

Reactions: Tsepz

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
The 13 Mini won’t be discontinued by Apple and will likely still be produced for at least 1-2 more years.

Reactions: JM

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
The battery life will frustrate you. Forget about using 5G with a mini, it makes it not last through the morning.

If you have the itch to upgrade, get the 13 , or just wait for the 14.

Reactions: Fozamo

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Cause the stellar sales figures of the Mini are indicative of that.
Because Apple don’t just make phones for one year. You can buy a brand new 12 Mini from Apple right now because they’re still in production in 2022. The phone itself is redundant because the 13 Mini is out but they still produce the phone. If there is no 14 Mini (which there won’t be) Apple will likely keep producing the 13 Mini like they did with the SE1 which ran for over 3 years.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Because Apple don’t just make phones for one year. You can buy a brand new 12 Mini from Apple right now because they’re still in production in 2022. The phone itself is redundant because the 13 Mini is out but they still produce the phone. If there is no 14 Mini (which there won’t be) Apple will likely keep producing the 13 Mini like they did with the SE1 which ran for over 3 years.
Your assumption is based on using the same platform (hardware wise).

But when a new platform is released, the mini will be gone.

Likely the Mini 13 will become the entry level mode.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Your assumption is based on using the same platform (hardware wise).

But when a new platform is released, the mini will be gone.

Likely the Mini 13 will become the entry level mode.
I am saying the 13 Mini will be sold by Apple for 1-2 years longer even if they do not make a further iteration of the model, if you think otherwise you know little about Apple and how they operate.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
I am saying the Mini will be sold by Apple for 1-2 years longer even if they do not make a further iteration of the model, if you think otherwise you know little about Apple and how they operate.
Clearly you don’t. With them it can go either way. But one thing is clear, sales wise, the mini’s future is not looki by good

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Clearly you don’t. With them it can go either way. But one thing is clear, sales wise, the mini’s future is not looki by good
Ookkkayy. Let’s wait and see then. I am at least 90% sure the 13 Mini will be on Apple’s storefront once the 14 line is out. That’s why there is no rush to go out and buy one now. Apple have always sold their previous model at a discount in their stores.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Ookkkayy. Let’s wait and see then. I am at least 90% sure the 13 Mini will be on Apple’s storefront once the 14 line is out. That’s why there is no rush to go out and buy one now. Apple have always sold their previous model at a discount in their stores.
as what? Entry level? That’s what the old generation is for or the SE

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
as what? Entry level? That’s what the old generation is for or the SE
The discussion is whether or not the OP should trade his 11 Pro and cash for a 13 Mini. We are saying he should take his time and there is no rush as the 13 Mini will still be sold and discounted by Apple when the 14 is out. The SE is the entry level model so it won’t be the same as the SE.

It’s pure speculation but a lot of us believe that the Mini chassis will be chosen for the SE ‘24 which WILL then make it the entry level model.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
I had an 11 pro for 2 years, then got a 13 mini last fall. I am glad I did. I was happy with the 11 pro, but I wanted something a little smaller. It isn’t a lot smaller, but it is much better for carrying in your pocket. I got used to the smaller screen very quickly. You can still take portrait photos, it’s just computational rather than using the telephoto lens, but they look the same if not better to me.
Also, I don’t have 5G near me, so I turned it off. The battery life is the same on my mini as it was on my 11 pro.
If you want a smaller phone I would say do it.

Reactions: Fozamo and g35

DrCC

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2021
Canada
The battery life will frustrate you. Forget about using 5G with a mini, it makes it not last through the morning.

I have the 13 mini and it is not so. I have 5G turned on and it easily lasts 1 day. With lighter use you can use it for 2 days with no problems. I switched from using Android phones and so far the 13 mini has the best battery life of any Android phone I've used in the past (Pixel 4, Pixel 3, Galaxy 7, etc).
Also, I see no visible impact on performance with the battery saver turned on, so I am guessing I can probably stretch the battery life past 2 days if I activate the battery saver full time.

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
Slightly subjective, but there’s no way I would trade my 11P for a mini. Unless the mini had the same or better processor, camera sensor and RAM.

I’m sat here with my 11P and 13P and realizing I think I prefer the 11P. Such a great device.

Barbareren

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
Norway & Mexico
I have the 13 mini and it is not so. I have 5G turned on and it easily lasts 1 day.[…]

I agree. I have the 12 mini, and I’m a heavy user, so I have to charge it more often. However, since I recently got 5G in my area I’ve been experimenting whether 5G uses noticeably more battery life or not. At first I thought it did, but then I realised the difference was negligible, at least in my area with 5G set to ‘auto’.

Also, I see no visible impact on performance with the battery saver turned on[…]

Same here. I frequently use low power mode and only really notice a slight performance drop in a couple of intensive apps.

Reactions: aenflex

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Slightly subjective, but there’s no way I would trade my 11P for a mini. Unless the mini had the same or better processor, camera sensor and RAM.

I’m sat here with my 11P and 13P and realizing I think I prefer the 11P. Such a great device.
The 13 Mini has the A15 bionic (which is faster and more efficient than A13 in the 11 Pro) and a significantly more advanced camera sensor than the 11 Pro. They both have 4 GB RAM, so equal in this regards.

I know its not as simple as this though, as the 11 Pro is a genuinely good phone and in its favour it has the Stainless Steel frame and frosted back, which look and feel very premium, and it has the telephoto lens which is very handy even though the overall image quality will never match the photos from a 13 Mini.

Reactions: Barbareren

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

Most likely you'll never own a Mini as rumors have been swirling it'll get the axe due to poor sales.

aenflex

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2013
FL, USA
The 13 Mini has the A15 bionic (which is faster and more efficient than A13 in the 11 Pro) and a significantly more advanced camera sensor than the 11 Pro. They both have 4 GB RAM, so equal in this regards.

I know its not as simple as this though, as the 11 Pro is a genuinely good phone and in its favour it has the Stainless Steel frame and frosted back, which look and feel very premium, and it has the telephoto lens which is very handy even though the overall image quality will never match the photos from a 13 Mini.
Fair enough. I’ve not paid any attention to iPhone stats and specs since I bought that 11P a couple years back. Perhaps I should’ve upgraded to the 13 mini vs the Pro.
Don’t know if I could be happy with that small of screen because I’m older and my eyeballs are B-A-D.

Reactions: snipr125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.