Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 iPhone 12 / 12 Pro happy thread

Home_Economist

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2020
I went from a 6S to an iPhone 12 128gb. I am absolutely thrilled with it. The coverage in my home was so poor I couldn‘t maintain calls with the 6S. Now I can - no problem! The screen is beautiful and clear and much easier to read. I don’t care about cameras or other frills - I am just happy I now have a useable phone.

Reactions: verito81

c.s.

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2007
Went from XR to 12 and the camera jump really blew me away. So happy with the sharpness and color science, night mode photos, even the wide angle lens is decent. And the squared edges are easier to hold. It doesn’t seem to weigh my pocket down the way the XR did. I know it’s a small amount of weight but the 12 is just right. I’ve actually never been happier with an iPhone upgrade.

Robbosan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2020
Anyone reading books on it? pretty much same size as kindle. Was hanging for the mini but the 12 could be better.

Good thread OP, i really want a all black phone, never really liked SG that much on my 11 pro, and the weight.

Reactions: BorgCube

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
I upgraded from a XS and I’m really happy with my decision. The camera alone is a huge upgrade but I’m also enjoying the flat sides and lighter weight. Still waiting for my case to come in but I do have AppleCare+ and this phone is a lot less slippery than my previous ones so I might skip that and just get a screen protector. I chose the Green and I’m really happy with my decision. It looks great in person.

jdb8167

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
I upgraded from Midnight Green 256 GB iPhone 11 Pro to a Pacific Blue 256 GB iPhone 12 Pro. I just posted my first impressions on the pinned thread.

First Impressions

About the only minor complaint is I’d rather have kept the Midnight Green rather than the Pacific Blue. But that is a very minor complaint.

About battery life, I’ve used the phone pretty much all day since coming off the charger at around 7:30 am until 6 pm with about 30% remaining. That includes 9 hours and 15 minutes of screen on time both on WiFi, LTE and 5G. Not seeing any problems with battery.

Thoradin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2020
Yorkshire, England
I upgraded from a XS and I’m really happy with my decision. The camera alone is a huge upgrade but I’m also enjoying the flat sides and lighter weight. Still waiting for my case to come in but I do have AppleCare+ and this phone is a lot less slippery than my previous ones so I might skip that and just get a screen protector. I chose the Green and I’m really happy with my decision. It looks great in person.
The green seems to be a very under represented colour on here so far.
From the couple of pics I’ve seen so far it’s my favourite of the standard 12 colours though.

bluecoast

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2017
Nice to read some positivity :). I think it’s a little too early to judge the battery life yet - iPhones always take 48-72 hours to download from iCloud, index their content etc - I thought my XR was going to melt on its first night even though I wasn’t using it!

Theyayarealivin

macrumors demi-goddess
Jun 18, 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada
how’s your battery life? Not liking what I’m seeing online, I’m getting 6h30m on my xs max, some of these 12s are lucky if they get 5 hours. 🥺
Lol battery life is bad. I started using my phone at 7AM and with a light use around 12PM I was at 17% and it started dropping fast 😡.

That is another reason why I miss the Pro Max model.

• Sad
Reactions: LFC2020

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
First full day of usage. I’m impressed with having 50% battery left by bedtime. The photos are awseome! I’m coming from an X. The screen is gorgeous, I turned zoom off. 5G speeds are nothing to write home about. But that’s more of a Verizon coverage thing. So far I’m super glad I upgraded. 12 Pro with 512GB in Silver.

LFC2020

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2020
First full day of usage. I’m impressed with having 50% battery left by bedtime. The photos are awseome! I’m coming from an X. The screen is gorgeous, I turned zoom off. 5G speeds are nothing to write home about. But that’s more of a Verizon coverage thing. So far I’m super glad I upgraded. 12 Pro with 512GB in Silver.

50% 🤔 did you even use your phone? 😂

Robbosan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2020
Nice to read some positivity :). I think it’s a little too early to judge the battery life yet - iPhones always take 48-72 hours to download from iCloud, index their content etc - I thought my XR was going to melt on its first night even though I wasn’t using it!

People have had over 50 hours here so would be able to tell.
[automerge]1603589226[/automerge]

I used 20% on my 11 pro yesterday lol, 2 day better for me easily.

jdb8167

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
On my second day with the iPhone 12 Pro, first full day with a 100% charge, I got over 10 hours of screen on time with about 15% battery remaining—only about 11 minutes of screen off. Started at 7:30 am ended at about 8:30 pm. Used a mix of WiFi, LTE and 5G. I would say that is pretty good battery life. I’m not sure what people are complaining about.

RandyMass

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2016
I wouldn't say this is specific to this year of phones, but there's always a slew of negativity and disappointed customers every year none of which I take personal or am surprised by. Sometimes justifiably, other times not - coming from a perfectly working phone of the previous year, upgrading without thinking through what they want out of the new phone from the old (I think this tactic is so often avoided, where it's critical when I make the leap weighing out what I'm going for - hype train aside), expecting it to perform miracles, or cure the pandemic hellscape year we're in, boredom without having specific interests for using one's phone, or even personal problems haha.

Soooo I thought a happy thread would be good because we are out there!

- so far, 5G in my area seems no different. I think I've seen 5G plenty vs. what they're dressing up as 5Ge which is really LTE (on AT&T) in a major metro area...

but I didn't expect any less as an educated consumer who doesn't fall for 10 minutes of 5G marketing bait on stage, and with Chris Rock skits (albeit both Verizon, haha) and got the phone for design, battery life, screen and cameras.

Haven't been disappointed in frankly ANYTHING! outside of the airwaves so far which is more a reflection of the rollout coverage and carriers and less the device itself. LTE I've always found to be performant enough for casual tasks too. I'll be delighted when it's even better down the road.

+ I'm in a fringe signal area in my apartment from the material of the walls (the area itself gets excellent coverage, just not my apartment unit and the hallways, etc), and the Qualcomm X55 seems better with signal than my SE2 was with Intel radio. That's a MAJOR plus. and a graceful pick up of reception when there's a signal loss,

+ I won the panel lottery. I could stare at this device's screen with admiration for years, and might be doing just that (possibly holding on 2+ years, especially since I got the $800 off in credits over 30 months slam dunk ATT deal as someone who isn't motivated to move and been with them for 15 years - no change in habits, just a reduction in cost for swapping out an ebay procured iPhone 8 to hold onto my SE2, which made diving into this device totally guilt free and doubt free). Even at low brightness, my eyes don't seem tired like they were with X. I think even with PWM, its now at a threshold that isn't bothersome to my eyes personally. A great concern to me in past years. The best way I could describe it was like making my eyes hunt harder to absorb information when I was just reading basic articles at a decent text size. Like reading a book in dim lighting, level fatigue. It doesn't seem there anymore (for me)

+ FaceID seems better than my XR was, which was the last X style phone I had before selling it this past spring and getting an SE2 as the intended holdover device for these releases. I cant get the 'alternative scan' to work covering up my face half with a mask to see if it will detect my face with a mask on, maybe glasses and a beard just throw the whole thing off. its ok though, I have a short passcode + iOS at least now detects mask and pops up passcode quicker than it did. TouchID still has preferable elements but I wouldn't not get this phone for that omission after test driving its overall utility (nor for 120hz, personally. Nor would I be 'excited' to enter panel lottery next year and whatever battery concessions would come with that for A14+battery size+X55 combo as it's presented this year as the sum of parts if they met their alleged 'goal' for shipping this years devices with it)

+ the weight and feel is crazy premium to me. It's going to be in a case most of the time, my silicone or maybe a cheap clear that's not Apple's since I find the MagSafe landing pad atrocious to my eyes. But still, it looks fanatastic. I think the Pacific Blue may be the nicest iPhone I have ever seen, ever, for its time or even period. I don't say that every release too haha

+ battery life seems great, coming from an SE2 which wasn't great despite that phone overall rocking imo. And from memory of XR on iOS 12 for the most part but iOS 13 for a good period of time too. I didnt have an 11P or PM, but it seems in the realm of fantastic after just a day of hammering the device. if I want even more, I'll turn off 5G all together instead of smart 5G where I dont even really get the benefits with lack of coverage as it stands

+ The screen size is perfect, if anything even bigger than I need. Glad I didnt get the Pro Max personally, something I was debating in addition to mini. I can scale Safari sites % wise for more on screen for specific sites, and the rest of the phone use seems perfectly fine scaled. a concern of mine in which I raised the point its scaled like X/XS/11Pro not Xr/11/Max devices. Doesnt matter turns out for me ! I'd be worried about mini battery life a bit, and my SE2 is a great device when I wanna feel something small. Good middle ground

+ Boxy edges rock. Have a nicer grip on the phone, and its playing with my head of being futuristic but a throwback too

+ watched intense drop tests. Seems the back and especially the front with its ceramic embedded screen really will hold up well. But I have a case + screen protector for scratches for peace of mind

+ triple cameras. I've only really had one camera except 7 Plus and X. Since then, XR and SE2. It's really nice to have for all occasions.

+ 128GB base for Pro. Wish it were so for the non pro too, as the $50 increase narrowed the price gap between non pro and pro, but the pacific blue and 6gb and 3 camera's and LiDAR and brighter screen sealed the value prop for me. And Since I got the ATT deal, I feel Apple and ATT just keep giving me reason after reason to upgrade where I might've been a bit shy to, otherwise, and for pro no less. They did it in my view because they want high adoption rates of 5G capable devices, I did it for many reasons that being one of the least compelling but a nice to have. For later.

+ 14.1 so far seems super duper smooth. It's a blessing in disguise the phone was delayed and released with an updated version of iOS 14 instead of .0, though its been fine on my SE1 from limited wifi testing only on an A9 device :p Maybe this is the way their cycles should be moving forward, so people don't conflate a buggy OS experience with the hardware itself.

maybe + one day I'll taste mmWave just to rock my socks and see 2gbit down on a friggin phone as a future proofed radio. Where my home connection is 1gbit but AC doesn't give it full throughput justice. Would even consider a Wifi 6 router just cuz, but my 2020 MBAir and 2017 iPad Pro don't support it so would feel like a waste.

Thank you for starting your his thread.

Reactions: thadoggfather

Ds6778

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2016
Lol battery life is bad. I started using my phone at 7AM and with a light use around 12PM I was at 17% and it started dropping fast 😡.

Holy cow! What were you doing? lol I used mine outside all day taking pics and recording HDR videos of my daughter in 4K @60. I dropped to 70% after 8 hours lol

lsara

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2015
I went from an 11 Pro to an iPhone 12. I love the squared off edges, lighter phone, and little bit of a bigger screen without going to a Max. Plus, I really wanted to get into having a cheaper phone and away from spending as much.

thadoggfather

macrumors G5
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007

something sounds wrong

Using light GPS directions one or two short 10-15 min route, 5G / LTE most of the day, handful of speed tests, lots of browsing and texting and some wifi use and music and an hour phone call was getting me good from like 8 am to about 7 pm or so with still upper 30% left.

I wonder if its still indexing an iCloud backup , or corruption somewhere or a bad battery.

I always start from scratch with new devices (and turn background app refresh off, since I find it useless - both for phone and watch, and in case of watch the raise to Siri stuff I just keep pressing the crown to enable it, on)

Last edited:

kanga1622

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2016
Anyone reading books on it? pretty much same size as kindle. Was hanging for the mini but the 12 could be better.

Good thread OP, i really want a all black phone, never really liked SG that much on my 11 pro, and the weight.

Read a book on it today. Screen size was very close to my 7+ even with my increased font size (I wear bifocals so I do like the font a little bigger). Was very smooth and easy.

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
I came from a 11 Pro Max. After 4 generations of + / Max models I was more than ready to go back to a normal sized phone.

Absolutely loving the 12 Pro. The screen is beautiful. The phone feels AMAZING in my hand. The 11 Pro Max felt too heavy and would not be comfortable to hold for long periods of time. I can use this phone with one hand and it's not terribly smaller than my 11 Pro Max.

I haven't had a lot of time to test the reception but ... it's doing better than my 11 Pro Max - noticeably so.

Really looking forward to using this phone for at least 2 years. I spend more time on my iPad to justify getting a phone every year. The size is everything I wanted - and I'm not missing the 11 Pro Max screen at all. I'll have to test battery life once everything is synced to the phone but so far... I'm loving it.

Great phone. Apple put out another winner imo - happy camper here.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Yes! I remember getting giddy over new phones and I hope lots of people feel that way this year. My wife gets hers tomorrow and although I don’t think it will be quite the same as it was a few years ago, I hope she still gets a little hyped. It’s pretty exciting =)

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
I went from an Xs to 12 Pro. So far I'm happy. Going by SpeedTest I'm getting over double the download speed over LTE and a little bit better upload. Way faster than my home WiFi (which years old, tbh)

Hard to say about battery life -- it's run down a bit faster than the Xs but I've been playing with it a lot and WiFi has been working hard (transferring my Music and Photo libraries)

Since I haven't left the house, I don't have a real check on the camera but the Portrait mode processing seems way better. I take lots of pictures of beer glasses (filled with beer, of course!) and the Xs would get confused and blur out the rims of glasses. It was so bad I used my Pixel 3 for taking those pictures when I traveled (remember that, visiting foreign countries?) I like that there is a 1x and 2x option in portrait mode as well. I do which Apple would do something like Googles Photo Sphere instead of just a straight line pano.

Swiping on the screen seems snapper. At first I thought it might be because I didn't have a screen protector installed yet but tonight I installed a Spigen Glasir and it still seems snappy.

They only complaint was the setup -- Two years ago when I went from a 7 to the Xs I don't remember any issues. This time there was lots reentering passwords and such. Not a big pain, just didn't seem as seamless. Probably due to increased security.

Weight seems to be about the same as the Xs. The phone is bigger but the straight sides somehow make it feel smaller.

Haven't used the MagSafe charger yet. I have an upright Qi charger on my desk so I use that. I figured the MagSafe will mostly be for travel -- if and when that starts again for me :)

Macshroomer

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I got my 12 pro Pacific Blue 512gb Friday, coming from an XS, I really like it a lot. I am about 7 hours of screen time in and I am now at 45% battery. This includes several phone calls, videos of my wife in the kitchen and about 40 minutes of it being used as an HDMI display feed on my new DJI RS 2 gimbal with my Nikon Z6 doing some clips for an upcoming short film.

The color is awesome, my favorite in real life so the same on this phone. The transition was super smooth, just moved in and kicked my feet back.

All in all, stoked.

GolfnCPA

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2011
How’s the battery life compared to your xs max?

It has been a couple of days, and have some outside experience. I do find the battery life improved over the XS Max. I live deep within a 5G area and was on it most of the evening, and didn't notice any real battery worry from it. Less decline than I anticipated, so feel like, now, the battery is improved. Camera is significantly better than what I had, especially in low light. Also realized I do miss the smaller phone. So much easier to pocket than the XS Max.

I also have an older 10.5" iPad Pro and a 16" MacBook Pro, so I do not use my phone much for browsing. It is primarily a messaging, email, music, podcast and app device. I don't pay much attention to my phone when I am out with my family, so I wasn't using it extensively, but that is what my findings are thus far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.