Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 iPhone 12 / 12 Pro happy thread

eattherich

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2011
Berlin
I'm really happy with my graphite iPhone 12 Pro. Thanks for making such a positive thread. This time of year is always full of negative threads (Face ID isn't as good as Touch ID, the screen is too yellow, the camera isn't that good, etc.) so it's refreshing to see one that's full of positive thoughts. Have a nice weekend, everyone.

erckrns

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2019
Salt Lake City, UT
I’m very happy with my silver 12 pro.

- The design is beautiful, the slight screen size bump over my 11 pro is appreciated given the phone itself is not much bigger.
- Battery life seems to be better than my 11 pro despite the reports, although I also set it up from scratch rather than using a backup which may have had an impact.
- 5G doesn’t matter much to me right now because I’m home 99% of the time during COVID, but it’s nice futureproofing for once this is over and the networks are more widely deployed.
- I like the MagSafe charger. I prefer not using the port when possible, always have. Now I can use the device while it’s charging wirelessly.
- I DONT like the silicon case or Belkin screen protector I bought. Will be returning both. And, given I bought the AppleCare+ that comes with 4 accidental incidents over 2 years, I don’t feel the need to diminish the design with such accessories.

richxps

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2008
I admit I love the 12 pro but coming from an 11 pro max I don’t see much of a difference performance wise ... figure I’ll keep the pro max for time I have the urge for a phablet lol

iPlaid

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2010
Thank you for this positive thread. Coming from 4.5 years of a tiny, original SE/64 with Touch ID and a Home button, I feel a bit like Rip Van Winkle with this iPhone 12 Pro/256. I guess today it's a "standard size" smartphone, between the early generation size I had and 6.5+ inch "phablets."

The Pacific Blue color is beautiful and professional looking. I put it in a clear Spigen Liquid Crystal case (same as on my SE), which shows it off and prevents smudges on the shiny sides. The 12 Pro still snaps on and holds well to Apple's MagSafe charger. However, I mainly slow charge it overnight on a USB-A Anker Qi charger on my nightstand, where it stays in place fine without magnets.

For over six months, I was positive I was going to replace my SE with the Mini, but my wife talked me into a larger phone at the last minute. I'm 70 yo with the beginning of cataracts. She was right. The 6.1" display and X/XS/11 Pro element size make it very easy for me to read without zooming.

It initially seemed MASSIVE, but the cased 6.1-inch size actually fits my mens medium glove size hands perfectly. The flat sides provide the same excellent grip they did on the original SE. I think the Max might fit larger hands fine--just not mine. IMO, what kills one-handed use more than its physical size is having to swipe up from the very bottom of the display as the replacement for a Home button.

So I'm glad I listened to my wife and got this mid-size phone. There are trade-offs with any size and this one seems the best balance for me.

kp98077

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2010
First night I was so so about the phone, but enjoying it now! Only negative maybe is weight? Great size! Couldn’t imagine much larger OR HEavier

Reactions: BorgCube

BorgCube

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2012
the Delta Quadrant
First day with this phone. Love it even more. Overnight it got all my data (155 gb). --- PERFECT size. Perfect weight. Perfect screen. I even took it out and about. I found out that 5G exists north, west, east of me about 5-10 mins... but not where I live. lol (I don't mind, I have wifi). Been taking photos and it's as good as my 11 Pro Max was - better at night time shots (indoors) definitely.

Battery life? I have chargers at my desk, bed, and work. even down by the TV I have a charger if I want. Yeah it's slightly worse but not bad at all.

While I wait for iCarez screen protectors I went and got a Zagg Shield from Best Buy. Minus a slight edge that isn't sticking down at the bottom right, the screen protector is ok. This phone is just amazing.

I don't feel I'm missing anything from the 11 Pro Max screen size wise. Because I enjoy holding this phone so much more I'm actually using it more.

Tomorrow I'll do a real test. I could end the work day with my 11 Pro Max at >82% with a heavy day.

Reactions: cchs2014 and iPlaid

RumorConsumer

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2016
The most impressive part of this iphone so far are the data speeds. LTE has doubled, and 5g has quadrupled the 11 pro. I’m looking forward to really testing this out when Ultrawideband comes to town.

Screen is perfect. I like that the size increased just enough. I find it incredibly comfortable to hold. Because the physical size of the phone hasn’t changed much, it fits with my car dock and cases.

I’m assuming it’s still indexing, and it usually takes a few cycles for the battery to optimize, so I’m hoping for similar battery life to the 11 pro.

Overall, I was initially skeptical as it seemed like a very small update, but it is exceeding my expectations.
Do you have a citation for "it takes a few cycles for the battery to optimize"?

RumorConsumer

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2016
Lol battery life is bad. I started using my phone at 7AM and with a light use around 12PM I was at 17% and it started dropping fast 😡.

That is another reason why I miss the Pro Max model.
Same generally. The organic test battery testers are showing 17% left on the 11 Pro when this one kicks off. Ouch.

Hopefully software comes to the rescue.
Messages Image(1777343588).png

Reactions: jdb8167

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I love mine, downgraded from the 11PM and couldnt be happier with it. I love how much smaller it feels in the hand and so far I dont miss the screen size at all. I honestly love this design so much I would have bought one even if they had just recycled the entire iphone 11 Pro into this body.

Cant wait to play with the ultrawide camera more, it is one of my favorite to shoot on and on the 11PM it let me down with its quality. So far the updates to the UW this year seem stellar cant wait to keep putting it through its paces.

jdb8167

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
Same generally. The organic test battery testers are showing 17% left on the 11 Pro when this one kicks off. Ouch.

Hopefully software comes to the rescue.
View attachment 974227
A thumbs up for this battery test. I’ve seen battery tests where the tester just runs something over and over without regard to how quickly the newer processors complete the tests. This means that a faster CPU ends up doing a lot more work over the same time frame. This test is running more or less the exact same amount of work on each phone until it dies.

And I like that the conclusion on the iPhone 12 Pro matches my anecdotal use so far. It is all perfectly logical too. The iPhone 11 dies significantly earlier than the iPhone 12 even though it has a larger battery—probably because the screen is a less efficient LCD and the A13 is slightly less efficient than the A14. The iPhone 11 Pro has both a larger battery and a smaller screen than the iPhone 12 Pro which apparently offsets the more efficient A14. The iPhone 11 Pro Max doesn’t have an equivalent iPhone 12 Pro Max available to test so is kind of irrelevant except as a contrast to the others.

I think this video does a pretty good job of putting the battery life of recent iPhones into perspective.

RumorConsumer

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2016
A thumbs up for this battery test. I’ve seen battery tests where the tester just runs something over and over without regard to how quickly the newer processors complete the tests. This means that a faster CPU ends up doing a lot more work over the same time frame. This test is running more or less the exact same amount of work on each phone until it dies.

And I like that the conclusion on the iPhone 12 Pro matches my anecdotal use so far. It is all perfectly logical too. The iPhone 11 dies significantly earlier than the iPhone 12 even though it has a larger battery—probably because the screen is a less efficient LCD and the A13 is slightly less efficient than the A14. The iPhone 11 Pro has both a larger battery and a smaller screen than the iPhone 12 Pro which apparently offsets the more efficient A14. The iPhone 11 Pro Max doesn’t have an equivalent iPhone 12 Pro Max available to test so is kind of irrelevant except as a contrast to the others.

I think this video does a pretty good job of putting the battery life of recent iPhones into perspective.
Yeah I agree. Difficult to reject. I am excited to have some point releases. Maybe we get a little battery back.

jdb8167

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2008
Yeah I agree. Difficult to reject. I am excited to have some point releases. Maybe we get a little battery back.
The iPhone 12 and 12 Pro are upgrades that come with battery tradeoffs. You can still get an iPhone 11 new from Apple but it is worse in every way than the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro except price. The iPhone 11 Pro which you can probably still get from Amazon or Best Buy has better battery life but is slower, has worse cameras, and a smaller screen with less resolution. But it does have about 1 hour more battery life than the iPhone 12 Pro. We can’t compare the iPhone 11 Pro Max to a iPhone 12 Pro Max yet. If you are impatient for a larger, OLED iPhone and don’t want to wait for the iPhone 12 Pro Max, then you get a pretty decent phone with a huge battery. Seems like everything anyone needs to determine if the iPhone 12 or 12 Pro are right for their purchase.

• Haha
Reactions: Robbosan

jambon

Contributor
Jul 15, 2010
London
i'm happy. Can't tell any difference with the Wide camera vs 11 pro (wasn't really expecting much) but I don't think real-life good-light photos on the Max can be that superior. Interested to see though - I'll tell myself the size of the Max would be too big if I'm proven wrong...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.