Other iPhone 12 5.4” Size Comparison

pcdtech

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2020

Even if this dummy happens to be slightly off from what will launch, I am SO happy that we’ll once again see a modern iPhone capable of being used one handed. I’m especially happy to see the width slightly smaller than the iPhone SE 2. As much as I love my iPhone 11 Pro, I’ve always complained that it was too large for my liking. And a rumored $650 starting price! What a treat!

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2020
Agree, and I’m sure there is a lot of people waiting for a true successor for the SE/6/7/8, that phone will be a success. I’m happy to see a modern small phone in this time when every phone brand is trying to make them bigger and bigger.

pcdtech

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Given the 5.4” model is slightly smaller than the iPhone SE 2 and features an all screen design, I’m concerned that battery life will be even worse than the SE 2, which isn’t very strong.

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2020
Given the 5.4” model is slightly smaller than the iPhone SE 2 and features an all screen design, I’m concerned that battery life will be even worse than the SE 2, which isn’t very strong.
Yes but it will have an OLED display, which is more battery efficient than an LCD. So I don’t think that will affect the battery life

Seanm87

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2014
Yes but it will have an OLED display, which is more battery efficient than an LCD. So I don’t think that will affect the battery life
but it will also have higher ppi so drain the battery more.

tbh it’s a trade off I’m willing to take if it means a smaller phone.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
I was sure that i would go for the "max" version, but more and more i think i have to see them in real life. that 5,4" in small enclosure is tempting. its closer in size to the original SE but with much bigger screen. its a nice combo, i think it will sell like crazy

pcdtech

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2020
If the battery life is worse but the phones support faster charging, faster than the 18W (?) currently supported, I would be ok with the trade off.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

dcpmark

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I was sure that i would go for the "max" version, but more and more i think i have to see them in real life. that 5,4" in small enclosure is tempting. its closer in size to the original SE but with much bigger screen. its a nice combo, i think it will sell like crazy
I think it will sell like hotcakes too, and come October we will finally get an answer to a raging MR argument for years about whether people bought the 2016 SE for price or size. Now people will have a choice in a relatively same-sized package, and I think many here who thought the 2016 SE was only about price will be surprised as to how many of these smaller phones will sell. Hell, I’d pay anything for an even smaller, full-screen flagship iPhone.

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Even the largest iPhones made are easy to use one handed when using a Loopy Case
You’re right. I could use my 11 one-handed. It was a stretch to get in that top left corner because my hands are small, but it was possible.

I was still ready for a smaller phone, so I got the SE2, which has turned out to be a little too small (mainly just the keyboard for typing - I LOVE the phone size overall), so I ordered an 11 pro just to see how I feel about the size of that. I’m hoping it’ll help me decide what size will work best for me. I was hoping to do the 5.4 in the fall, but it’s not looking like that’s gonna be a great fit, and I really don’t wanna go back to a 6.1, so this pro may be just right.

Either way, Loopy cases are the best! I just got an email that my most recent order is my NINTH one!

Reactions: compwiz1202

pcdtech

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Like what would they strip from a brand new device?
I think it will be interesting to see whether the iPhone 12 5.4" is closer to the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro in its specifications. Obviously, the iPhone 12 5.4" won't get the same camera features that the iPhone 11 Pro has today, but I'm most interested in the screen quality that will launch with the smaller iPhone 12.

PaladinGuy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2014
I think it will be interesting to see whether the iPhone 12 5.4" is closer to the iPhone 11 or iPhone 11 Pro in its specifications. Obviously, the iPhone 12 5.4" won't get the same camera features that the iPhone 11 Pro has today, but I'm most interested in the screen quality that will launch with the smaller iPhone 12.
I’d just like for the 5.4” model to have a stainless steel frame and not aluminum. I can live without mmWave 5G, since I’m not going to pay even more for my wireless phone plan. I also don’t ware about LIDAR. I would like a telephoto lens though rather than the ultra-wise lens.

Reactions: Capeto

pcdtech

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2020
I’d just like for the 5.4” model to have a stainless steel frame and not aluminum. I can live without mmWave 5G, since I’m not going to pay even more for my wireless phone plan. I also don’t ware about LIDAR. I would like a telephoto lens though rather than the ultra-wise lens.
I've been thinking about this...how the frame of the 5.4" model will look compared to the Pro models

freeagent

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2020
Like what would they strip from a brand new device?
Features the larger phones may have. But I have a feeling it will be a similar lineup to what we have now, just with some new toys and features for the bigger boys.

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2020
Features the larger phones may have. But I have a feeling it will be a similar lineup to what we have now, just with some new toys and features for the bigger boys.
Did you mean, for the Pro models? The 5.4” iPhone 12 will have the exact same features of the 6.1” iPhone 12

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’m getting really excited for this, but I’m worried that the Pro will be too alluring. I really want this smaller phone.

For me, the 11 Pro has a surplus of battery life so I’d happily give up a bit for a thinner and smaller phone. I’m not sure I’m willing to give up the zoom lens though. Also, if ProMotion (or even just a 75Hz rate) comes to the Pros then I’ll “have” to get the 6.1 Pro.

pcdtech

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 11, 2020
I’m getting really excited for this, but I’m worried that the Pro will be too alluring. I really want this smaller phone.

For me, the 11 Pro has a surplus of battery life so I’d happily give up a bit for a thinner and smaller phone. I’m not sure I’m willing to give up the zoom lens though. Also, if ProMotion (or even just a 75Hz rate) comes to the Pros then I’ll “have” to get the 6.1 Pro.
I’ve had the same fear of the Pro features being too great to pass up, but I simply can’t swing buying a phone that large. When I’ve tried the 6.1” iPhone 11 in stores, it’s just too large for my hands. The only scenario I can see is me sticking with my iPhone 11 Pro if the features of the 5.4” iPhone 12 aren’t appealing. For instance, I am a total sucker for screen quality. It will be hard for me to say no to increased brightness, pixel density, and potentially 120Hz refresh rate. But I’m really ready for a small phone. I’ve been ready since 2017 when I purchased the iPhone X.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.