Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Yes. Apple have to leave some benefits to older (higher pro) models to sale them out from resellers through the next year.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
Yes. Apple have to leave some benefits to older (higher pro) models to sale them out from resellers through the next year.
I don’t think it’s about selling older 11 Pro inventory. If Apple decides to give the iPhone 12 5.4” a less power efficient display, it will be because they need to hit a particular price point and create differentiation among the 12 and 12 Pro lineup.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
I don’t think it’s about selling older 11 Pro inventory. If Apple decides to give the iPhone 12 5.4” a less power efficient display, it will be because they need to hit a particular price point and create differentiation among the 12 and 12 Pro lineup.

I saw a table breakdown of the differences in an earlier post on macrumours, and the non pro models will have 8 bit colour OLED panels (probably same panel as the previous oled iphones), but the pro models will have new 10 bit colour OLED panels so this will be the main difference as well as 120 ghz refresh rate. I am looking forward to the 5.4” model though, looks nice and compact. Hopefully has a decent size battery! not thrilled about moving to Face ID though, but it is what it is.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
I saw a table breakdown of the differences in an earlier post on macrumours, and the non pro models will have 8 bit colour OLED panels (probably same panel as the previous oled iphones), but the pro models will have new 10 bit colour OLED panels so this will be the main difference as well as 120 ghz refresh rate. I am looking forward to the 5.4” model though, looks nice and compact. Hopefully has a decent size battery! not thrilled about moving to Face ID though, but it is what it is.
If the 5.4" panel is the same quality as the 11 Pro, I won't have an issue. I can live without 10 bit color (or at least I say that now ;)). But I really can't see myself adjusting to a 6.1" iPhone.

Azzurro

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2015
Milan
Looks like everyone (including me) has been traumatized by that horrible SE battery! I’m hoping it will not fail this time. I’m gonna buy this one!

Reactions: AmazeSE and JM

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Not SE 2020 exactly but all 4,7" iphones... SE 2020 is best of them, but still not as good as XR nor 11.

Reactions: Azzurro

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Yes the iPhone SE battery (1800 mh) is small but proportionate to what it needs to power, it is not that bad (2000 mh would have been perfect though). lasts me 2 days based on my usage in tandem with my iPad. The 5.4” iPhone 12 on the other hand will have dual cameras, high res oled screen and Face ID which require more sustenance than a 1800 mh battery.

Reactions: Moonjumper and JM

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I want a small phone to carry around, but in some cases I want the screen to be big. Wish the iPhone becomes foldable in the near future.

For now, XS is a fine size for me. Not sure if any smaller would be that much better. Would have to try it out for myself.

MrMacintoshIII

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2019
I’m going 5.4” this year, and selling it for the 6.1” Pro whenever those finally get LTPO 1hz ability, and the rumored smart connector/portless option. I must be one of the few excited about no port as it conceivably brings this phone another step closer to being used in the shower even directly under the water without protection.

JagRunner

Suspended
Oct 18, 2018
Houston,Texas
I’m going 5.4” this year, and selling it for the 6.1” Pro whenever those finally get LTPO 1hz ability, and the rumored smart connector/portless option. I must be one of the few excited about no port as it conceivably brings this phone another step closer to being used in the shower even directly under the water without protection.

Why do you want to use your phone in the shower?

jvlfilms

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2007
Staten Island, NY
I would really like to get this iPhone 12 but I've become so accustomed to the triple camera setup and use it frequently enough to where I'd miss it on a daily basis. I really think Apple is shooting themselves in the foot with all of these different pricing and sizing options.

But that size looks wonderful to hold. It really makes me miss my iPhone 5 (that blue space grey color was probably the sexiest iPhone Apple ever made)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Heck that 5.4 is really small. I’m not really sure I’ll wind up going that route. The more I see about the new phones, the more I wonder if I should go ahead and get an 11 pro after all. I absolutely love the size of that phone.

I’m also honestly not sure how I feel about the flat edges. I mean my phones are always in a case anyway, so IDK if that’s gonna even be a very noticeable thing.

Reactions: SmugMaverick

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I love the size but battery life on this is gonna be s**t, right? ?

Guess you can't have it all.
That's what I'm wondering.
The battery would have to be bigger than the current SE, and the new chip would have to be a big battery saver.
OLED and all the black as much as possible will help hopefully too.
[automerge]1593472595[/automerge]
Why do you want to use your phone in the shower?
That's a very scary question ?

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Well with flat edges I’m sure it would feel fine, but put a case on it and it will be that much more thicker. As for why a phone in the shower.. netflix, Amazon, YouTube, your tv app, iTunes movies.. Top Gear.. love that show still.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
While I know this particular model will be a hot seller, I can’t help but think we’re a small but vocal minority on MacRumors. Still, I’m thankful that there are others out there who are as excited by the return of a flat edges iPhone, and one that most people can operate with one hand. My body is ready.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
While I know this particular model will be a hot seller, I can’t help but think we’re a small but vocal minority on MacRumors. Still, I’m thankful that there are others out there who are as excited by the return of a flat edges iPhone, and one that most people can operate with one hand. My body is ready.

That’s what made me go to the SE2 from my iPhone 11, and I think the SE2 with a full screen would be perfect, but smaller? IDK if I’ll be able to do it based on my eyesight alone. It’s visibly smaller in that video above.

pcdtech

Suspended
Original poster
May 11, 2020
That’s what made me go to the SE2 from my iPhone 11, and I think the SE2 with a full screen would be perfect, but smaller? IDK if I’ll be able to do it based on my eyesight alone. It’s visibly smaller in that video above.
You may find the iPhone 11 Pro size best for your needs. It's just too tall and wide for my taste.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
It's still bigger than I’d like but small enough that I’m willing to compromise. With my iPhone SE getting up in age (and badly needing a battery replacement) this will likely be a buy from me assuming it pans out.

Here’s hoping supply isn’t super-limited because of COVID-19 and I’m stuck waiting well into 2021 to get my hands on one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.