Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EEzycade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2018
Mesa, Arizona
Well I finally upgraded from my 8. Walked out of the Verizon store last night with a brand new iPhone 12 (Pacific Blue, 128gb). Thought I would share my first impressions with all of you. Let's start with the positive:

-I like the bigger screen.
-The quality of the screen is a big step up from my old 8.
-Battery life rocks! Super happy with that
-Camera is obviously an improvement even though I have not had a chance to use it much.
-iPad Pro design and flat sides. I think it looks much better than the curved edges.
-Face ID is quick and reliable but it also has cons.
-Overall a great design and stellar build quality. iOS works great and the A14 is snappy. I'm happy I upgraded.

Note on the notch: I noticed it for the first fifteen minutes and then not any more after that. It's not that big of a deal although I am excited for when the notch is gone.

Now for what I don't like:

-I don't like the camera bump and therefore the wobble when using the phone on a flat surface. But I'll be getting a case soon which sort of negates what I'm saying here.
-Lighting port. I mean really Apple. I have an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro and I just want usb c on the iPhone too.
-Face ID does not work when the phone is laying flat on the table. Since I am disabled and can't lift the phone to an angle that will work, it's useless to me on a table top. I have to enter the passcode every time (first world problem I know, but Touch ID was better for me since I could use it with the phone laying flat). This is my biggest problem with the phone since it makes my life harder. There is a good chance (if it proves to be too much to deal with) that I return the 12 and go for the SE 2 and wait for Touch ID to return (on the power switch or in screen) or Face ID to improve so it can work on a flat surface.

These are my first impressions of the iPhone 12. I may have some minor issues with it (and one slightly major one) but I feel it was a worthwhile upgrade for me. iPhone 12 is cool!! Thanks for reading. Tell me your thoughts on what I shared, or share your own opinions.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Well I finally upgraded from my 8. Walked out of the Verizon store last night with a brand new iPhone 12 (Pacific Blue, 128gb). Thought I would share my first impressions with all of you. Let's start with the positive:

-Camera is obviously an improvement even though I have not had a chance to use it much.
-iPad Pro design and flat sides. I think it looks much better than the curved edges.
-Overall a great design and stellar build quality. iOS works great and the A14 is snappy. I'm happy I upgraded.

Note on the notch: I noticed it for the first fifteen minutes and then not any more after that. It's not that big of a deal although I am excited for when the notch is gone.

-I don't like the camera bump and therefore the wobble when using the phone on a flat surface. But I'll be getting a case soon which sort of negates what I'm saying here.
-Lighting port. I mean really Apple. I have an iPad Pro and a MacBook Pro and I just want usb c on the iPhone too.
-Face ID does not work when the phone is laying flat on the table. Since I am disabled and can't lift the phone to an angle that will work, it's useless to me on a table top. I have to enter the passcode every time (first world problem I know, but Touch ID was better for me since I could use it with the phone laying flat). This is my biggest problem with the phone since it makes my life harder. There is a good chance (if it proves to be too much to deal with) that I return the 12 and go for the SE 2 and wait for Touch ID to return (on the power switch or in screen) or Face ID to improve so it can work on a flat surface.

These are my first impressions of the iPhone 12. I may have some minor issues with it (and one slightly major one) but I feel it was a worthwhile upgrade for me. iPhone 12 is cool!! Thanks for reading. Tell me your thoughts on what I shared, or share your own opinions.

This is a Very good first impression. The thing is with every first impression there will be things people like and don’t like. However, a lot of people wants to use them as only stating what they like as if their is not any drawbacks at all.

Onto the main issue you may have with iPhone 12 and that’s the FaceID instead of TouchID. Seems like it is possible that it could become more of a nuance to you than useful. I have encountered a lot of people who have the same issues with FaceID. When it becomes a bigger issue than your previous biometric system then it could be time to go back to your old ways of biometrics. I agree 100%. With that said, the iPhone SE 2nd generation would feel new, but familiar to you. I say that because it will seem a lot like your iPhone 8, but I promise you it is an upgrade over the 8. On top of that it also has TouchID. For me FaceID isn’t an issue for me, but I have found that I like TouchID much better. With Apple bringing TouchID back in the iPad Air 4th generation it gives me the hope that next year they could include an iPhone that has TouchID in a more modern form factor. Personally I have an iPhone 11 (non pro) and the iPhone SE 2nd Generation and I use my SE 9 times more than my iPhone 11. Just something that conveniences me more than FaceID I guess.

However to get onto my point if I were you I would give the iPhone 12 at least close to the 14 day return period before you decide to take it back or not. I’m not sure FaceID will start working for you the way you need it to, but it is definitely an overall better device than the SE. However and this is something people forget as well... better is highly subjective when it comes to what you need. If that makes sense.

Glad you’re enjoying the 12 for the most part though. I don’t know that this would help in anyway it’s just my 2 cents lol.

tt061282

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2018
Nevada
Enjoy your new iPhone.

Regarding faceID, I had the same issue when it's laying on a desk, so I bought a stand for it and that solve the issue for me.

Yes this is actually a very good option as well. They also sale stands that are wireless chargers as well so it can charge while being more convenient.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey

Congrats on your new iPhone! I'm sure it's quite a different experience coming from your 8, but I'm sure you're gonna love it. Try using a stand up wireless charger/dock for your table. That will take care of the Face ID issue.

Robbosan

Suspended
Aug 21, 2020
I've used one of these for years, don't think you can get them anymore, have a samsung wireless charger too that you can use flat or as a stand but i just charge overnight with it.

06A452FF-4A64-46C4-A7A5-821B7E0E1DC4.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.