Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The wear on the leather case is no damage. Another example would be the tip of the Apple pencil wearing off from using it on the iPad.
No it's not. This would be like the Apple Pencil suffering an indentation in the sides from holding it while in use... after less than a week. It's also definitely not normal wear for the leather deformation to occur so quickly. Trying to equate this with normal leather wearing is at best disingenuous.

Last edited:

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
In my experience, the Apple leather cases get beat up easily. Especially at the corners.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Exactly. I don’t understand why anyone would make a big deal of this. The beauty of leather is that it wears over time and gets better with age.
While I do enjoy the look of a leather phone case that shows wear and tear naturally, a definitive ring on the back does not make the case look better over time. And as far as people complaining about this because they new, Apple could simply not offer a magsafe case as another option. From all that I've read and seen, putting this feature on the phone is solving as issue that no one has. Apple literally said it will help to perfectly align a case on the phone... has anyone every said this is an issue? Or that they would rather have it perfectly align to a wireless charger and deal with having to remove it after each charge? The point of a wireless charger is that you can set it down and pick it up as you please. If you attach/detach it magnetically, why not just use the lightning cable since you still have to mess with a cable?

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I guess if you use the Magsafe wallet then it isn't an issue. Using the wallet is the only way the clear case makes sense either (otherwise you have that ugly magnet showing through).

I'm hoping to go naked with (maybe) a wallet but I have used the leather cases in the past and really liked them (Especially the folio).

Chaarrliie

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2015
Does anybody know how much the leather case weighs or where I can find this intel ?
I'm thinking about getting one because the bare iPhone 12 Pro is soooo slippery when used with one hand, but if it's too heavy, I will have trouble holding it too...

grjj

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2014
No it's not. This would be like the Apple Pencil suffering an indentation in the sides from holding it while in use... after less than a week. It's also definitely not normal wear for the deformation to occur so quickly. Trying to equate this with leather wearing is at best disingenuous.
Your analogy is significantly flawed.
This is like having a leather covered pencil and complaining the color of the leather changes as your fingers transfer oil and dirt to it. Anyone who understands anything about leather knows it requires care and will change over time with the best care.
Leather is a porous, soft, natural material . I supposed Apple could pre-compress the leather and infuse it with a polymer to stabilize it but that would also minimize or eliminate many of the desirable qualities of the leather.
If you want the look of leather without all the properties of leather I suggest any of the appliqués/wraps on the market are a better fit. Note, however, that even plastic on plastic under pressure will cause wear over time.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
I guess every third party leather case with MagSafe support will see the same kind of imprints after a while.

Yes, leather wears over time. I know this may be shocking to anyone who has never owned a leather jacket, a baseball glove, a leather purse, or a car with leather seats, just like it may be shocking to a lot of people that glass breaks when dropped, that a wireless charger takes longer to charge a phone than a wired charger, and that the percentage of votes a candidate for office receives may change as votes are tallied.

We live in an age of absolutely shocking revelations.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
No it's not. This would be like the Apple Pencil suffering an indentation in the sides from holding it while in use... after less than a week. It's also definitely not normal wear for the deformation to occur so quickly. Trying to equate this with leather wearing is at best disingenuous.

This is nothing like the scenario you posed. Leather comes from a cow, a natural product that wears over time. Everyone who buys a car with leather seats understands that they will crack, wear, and look worse during the course of ownership.

The pencil is manufactured from a non-natural human-engineered product, and it is reasonable to expect that they would be engineered to reduce wear from normal use. One would not expect it for it to deform from holding it (though this is the first I've heard of this issue, and I've personally never experienced this).

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
I've just ordered one, time will tell. My MacSafe charger will only be used at night.
I can tell you that my MagSafe charger arrived Tuesday, and I've been charging my 11 on it (with a case similar to a Totalee ultra thin) every night. There is already a ring mark on the case. It is very slight, and can only be seen when the light hits it right. But, it's only been 3 nights.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Your analogy is significantly flawed.
This is like having a leather covered pencil and complaining the color of the leather changes as your fingers transfer oil and dirt to it. Anyone who understands anything about leather knows it requires care and will change over time with the best care.
Leather is a porous, soft, natural material . I supposed Apple could pre-compress the leather and infuse it with a polymer to stabilize it but that would also minimize or eliminate many of the desirable qualities of the leather.
If you want the look of leather without all the properties of leather I suggest any of the appliqués/wraps on the market are a better fit. Note, however, that even plastic on plastic under pressure will cause wear over time.
There's nothing wrong with my analogy. But your reply? Needs work. As I've already stated, most people know about the patina process regarding leather. I'd even say it's one of the benefits of leather that people look forward to seeing. As I've also already said, this ain't that. No one expects a permanent imprint in their leather case in less than a week. Which is what's happening. You and others trying to equate that almost immediate imprinting with normal leather wear... you're trying entirely too hard. This was clearly an unforeseen circumstance that Apple has had to deal with. To their credit, they acknowledged it quickly.

TheDailyApple

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2019

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
Still waiting for ONE positive news about MagSafe...probably even more ill fated than 3D Touch...
3D Touch was at least a unique way to add options for interacting with your device. I still use it all the time for moving the cursor and switching apps.

MagSafe was only a real innovation when it saved your laptop from destruction. This iteration is just a gimmick.

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
This reminds me of people who put a case on their Apple Watch or Apple Credit Card. *People will put cases on their cases now cause Apple pristine is real.*

Reactions: ocva
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.