Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is cutting orders for all iPhones by around 20% compared to its plans in December, with the iPhone 12 mini making up the majority of the cutback, according to Nikkei Asia. In line with previous reports, the publication claims that demand for the iPhone 12 mini has been "far lower than Apple initially expected."

iphone-12-mini-pro-max-side-by-side.jpg

The report claims that Apple initially aimed to secure components for up to 96 million iPhones for the first half of 2021, including the entire iPhone 12 lineup and older models like the iPhone 11 and the iPhone SE, but the company is apparently now targeting production of around 75 million units during that period. That is still slightly higher than iPhone shipments in the same period last year, the report adds.

iPhone 12 mini demand has been so lackluster that Apple even asked some suppliers to temporarily stop building components specifically for the 5.4-inch device, according to Nikkei Asia. Some of the components and parts for the iPhone 12 mini have been reallocated to the iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max, a source told the publication.

Apple is still believed to be seeing healthy demand for its three higher-end iPhone 12 models, with strong sales of the devices helping to contribute to Apple's record-breaking $111.4 billion revenue reported in the December quarter.

While demand for the iPhone 12 mini may be lower than Apple initially expected, the company is still expected to release a so-called iPhone 13 mini this year.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Faces Production Cut Due to 'Far Lower' Demand Than Expected

• Angry
Reactions: DeepIn2U

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
My wife got one the other day and it’s great. Really a wonderful thing. If I hadn’t needed the Lidar on the Pro for work, I’d probably have gone for it.

I suspect if more people had been able to see them in person more people would have had confidence to try the new size. Hopefully apple stick with it for another year.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Apple got caught off guard by the noise on this one. Then again, with all thats been going with the pandemic, anticipation turned into, I need to save that $700 for emergencies. Also, that price is just absurd. A maxed out Mini should not cost no more than 650. There is someone at Apple I believe who likes to pull big numbers out of thin air. Price certain things reasonably. When they were a humble company in the 90’s with the iMac, they recognized they had to be reasonable with pricing. These days, they feel like, they can build anything, overcharge for it and there will be a market.

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
Somewhat sad, but I guess I can appreciate Apple for at least giving it a shot. I have one and I like it a lot compared to the iPhone XS Max I had previously. I have to say the battery life is a bit annoying, but that's really it. Though apparently it's supposed to have the same battery life as the XS Max according to the Apple website so maybe I'm just more aware it since I knew about the low battery life for the 12 Mini.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
My wife got one the other day and it’s great. Really a wonderful thing. If I hadn’t needed the Lidar on the Pro for work, I’d probably have gone for it.

Yeah my wife and I both got them. Anecdotally they're selling quite well (i.e. lotsa people I know have them).

Be interesting to see these 'lacklustre' numbers. I mean... less than expected <> they're not still selling millions and out-selling most Androids in the same market.

Remembering - many people with 12 minis wouldn't have bought new iPhone but for the mini.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I suspect if more people had been able to see them in person more people would have had confidence to try the new size. Hopefully apple stick with it for another year.
The demo unit is available even with resellers in my country. There’s no way people wanting to it are not able to, unless you’re in a complete lockdown situation.

The iPhone mini served its purpose, to increase the price of the iPhone 12 compared to the iPhone 11 without too much backlash.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
It’s kinda weird having the XR and 11 being cheaper that the 12 mini. Not many people will be stoked to pay more for a much smaller phone. I did it and have no regrets though. I’d imagine that price is a big reason why more people didn’t go for the mini.

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017
Not surprising. The very loud but minority small phone crowd duped even Apple into thinking that everyone wants a small phone.

I see I’ve upset the small phone fans. I mean if small phones are your thing there’s nothing wrong with that but you absolutely cannot argue that most people want a small phone and the sales numbers of the 12 Mini prove that. Big phones are what are popular.

Last edited:

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I'll buy myself a 13 or 12S Mini when it comes out, may be there are less of us than expected or we're just a vocal minority of bitter bastards, but to me the Mini size is a god send. I'm 6 feet, big hands, etc. But to me phones just have to be simple, one hand devices. You can get an iPad for the other use cases, I dont know. Its just so great to handle a phone like its supposed to, and for it to be not a fat and large shiny brick.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wouldn’t be the first time under Tim Cook’s Apple
Actually it was a good strategy. In the end, Apple knows that the regular iPhone 12 will be the main seller. Apple wanted to increase the price, but would have received backlash since they just reduced the starting price with the iPhone 11. So enter the iPhone 12 mini, where Apple now can safely increase the price of the regular 12 without much backlash since people are still thinking the new lineup “starts” from $699, the same as last year.

Remember that Cook is a smart man in terms of getting profits. Apple pretty much increased prices on all their main sellers (iPhone 12, iPad Air 4), but still managed to gain positive result during a pandemic . Amazing ?

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I’ve heard the mini’s battery struggles to get through a whole day - when brand new. After a year or two usage : it will be useless. I wish Apple had tried this after battery technology had ramped up quite a bit more.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
Actually it was a good strategy. In the end, Apple knows that the regular iPhone 12 will be the main seller. Apple wanted to increase the price, but would have received backlash since they just reduced the starting price with the iPhone 11. So enter the iPhone 12 mini, where Apple now can safely increase the price of the regular 12 without much backlash since people are still thinking the new lineup “starts” from $699, the same as last year.

Remember that Cook is a smart man in terms of getting profits. Apple pretty much increased prices on all their main sellers (iPhone 12, iPad Air 4), but still managed to gain positive result during a pandemic . Amazing 😂
Spot on the 12 price increase makes the 12 pro more appealing, I can think of other words atm to describe Tim Cook. 🤨🤦‍♂️😂

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
The only reason it hasn’t sold. Many of us said this when pricing was initially announced. $100 is just enough of a discount to the “flagship” size.

The naming was also a poor choice. Mini implies less, it’s a very American adverse word. Mini Cooper, anyone?
iPhone mini sounds awesome, would you rather iPhone small ?‍♂️?

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021
And as we saw last quarter, iPhone is extremely doing well over all, indicating this is model specific if true.

MOST people do not want small screen iPhones when larger screens are available. Small screen buyers may care less about features and can get an SE.

That’s why Pro Max models are selling like hotcakes and are still supply constrained.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
The only reason it hasn’t sold. Many of us said this when pricing was initially announced. $100 is just enough of a discount to the “flagship” size.

The naming was also a poor choice. Mini implies less, it’s a very American adverse word. Mini Cooper, anyone?
If price is a concern, why then a more expensive iPhone 12 is selling more? Imo it's simple, majority of people just don't find smaller screen phones attractive anymore, especially in the era of WFH and lockdown where for many, their phone is their main source of computing and entertainment.

Yokon54

Suspended
Feb 5, 2021

No, it’s because people most want large screens. The name has nothing to do with it. Pro Max is a great name?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.