Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Mini Introduced With 5.4-Inch Display, Starts at $699

aleni

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2006
FINALLY a smaller smartphone again !!! 🥳😍(hope other manufactures follow, choice is always good)
  • not so MINI after all (the great device 😀) however neither unfortunately is the price 😢 (specially with taxes and everything over here, it's 750$ or more).
  • Pacific blue looks very nice 😍, unfortunately no rumored orange 😢
  • Disappointed they didn't include power button TouchID (in all models)
Liked the cheesy Bond suitcase intro to the iPhone 12 Mini - special spotlight :)

will calmly compare the camera specs between the 11 and 12s with the 12Mini and then decide.
Gut feeling, trying to make to iPhone 13 Mini.😍

The moment I saw that guy in the video putting his mini effortlessly on his shirt pocket. That was a huge dopamine rush for me! 😍

Comment

Jacobi

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
The moment I saw that guy in the video putting his mini effortlessly on his shirt pocket. That was a huge dopamine rush for me! 😍
Haha, I do this with my SE1 in real life. Sometimes if I don't have headphones on me and want to listen to a Podcast while walking, I'll put the SE in my shirt pocket upside down (with the speakers facing up towards my face) and play it on speaker. Works great.

Comment

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
Looks like a great phone, but I think I'm going for the Pro Max for the camera features and battery. iPhone 6 and 6S plus were the best battery-life phones I've ever had (and the last time I owned the larger versions of iPhones).

Does the mini have an OLED display? *It does, should've googled.

Man, if it weren't for the camera features and battery, I'd be all-in on the mini. I may have to think it over.

**Wow... the mini actually has a higher PPI than the 12... and is literally the same phone. Man, this is a hard choice. It's either the mini or the Pro Max... what a strange toss-up...

Last edited:
Comment

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yep I'm in. Perfect form factor, iPhone 5-like body with updated components inside. I'll be ordering for my wife and I on the 6th.

Last edited:
Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Calling this a "mini" is complete brain washing. 5.4inch screen is much larger than the 4inch on the iphone 5(35% larger), and the iphone 5 was when Apple went "larger". I still remember Philip Schiller making statement that iphone screen is smaller than competitors because your thumb can reach all areas and you don't need 2 hands to operate it.

This should be the regular iphone, another smaller 4-4.5inch is the mini, and the Pros should be called iPad Minis.

Reactions: MiniApple
Comment

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
Re: no chargers in the box, as others have mentioned here, most of us have USB-A type chargers, but few have USB-C type chargers, so including those with the new iPhones would have been appropriate. Including a USB-C to Lightning cable without a charging brick is unfortunate.

In terms of Apple ecosystem lots of us have moved to USB-C. The same for Android users.

If one has an iPad Pro or MacBook, their respective usbc ports can be used to charge an iPhone. Their chargers have been USBC since 2018.

Because of fast charging 15-18-30w lots of folks have bought chargers and invested in usbc to lightning cables.

Do some still use the old square chargers ? Of course. The same people have lots of usba to lightning cables. No harm no foul.

Comment

Idec50

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2019
TX
Looks like a great phone, but I think I'm going for the Pro Max for the camera features and battery. iPhone 6 and 6S plus were the best battery-life phones I've ever had (and the last time I owned the larger versions of iPhones).

Does the mini have an OLED display? *It does, should've googled.

Man, if it weren't for the camera features and batter, I'd be all-in on the mini. I may have to think it over.

**Wow... the mini actually has a higher PPI than the 12... and is literally the same phone. Man, this is a hard choice. It's either the mini or the Pro Max... what a strange toss-up...

I really wish it had the telephoto lens instead of the ultra wide lens. People don’t look right with just the regular wide lens ...

Comment

vipergts2207

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Calling this a "mini" is complete brain washing. 5.4inch screen is much larger than the 4inch on the iphone 5(35% larger), and the iphone 5 was when Apple went "larger". I still remember Philip Schiller making statement that iphone screen is smaller than competitors because your thumb can reach all areas and you don't need 2 hands to operate it.

This should be the regular iphone, another smaller 4-4.5inch is the mini, and the Pros should be called iPad Minis.

They can't fit the FaceID stuff in a chassis that small.

Comment

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009

I get your point, but I disagree. The phone probably needs to be a certain size for its features (they already compromised on battery), and for those who have been using larger phones for some time, it will certainly feel like a smaller form factor. I felt quite a difference going from a 6S Plus to a X.

Also, even though the screen is larger, the entire form factor isn't that much larger than those earlier phones due to lack of the home button.

Comment

robertosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
France
Pleased with the 133g spec weight of the mini, that's a 20g leap from the 1st gen SE spec but I'd feared it would be significantly worse given the increased dimensions.

Thats really good! And only 4g more than the 6. Of course is smaller but I expected to be heavier due to the glass back.
[automerge]1602700232[/automerge]
The ERA of the small phones has come... again.

Comment

Zagor13

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
why are they punishing us for paying upfront instead of dealing with stupid greedy companies; I always pay upfront for my phone last 8 year or so; it should cost less instead of more....pihhh apple playing greed with stupid greedy phone companies

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.