MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following widespread reports that the iPhone 12 mini has experienced poor sales performance, at least relative to other iPhone 12 models, Taiwanese research firm TrendForce today claimed that production of the device has already ended.

purple-iphone-12-and-12-mini.jpg

According to TrendForce, the iPhone 12 mini "reached End-of-Life ahead of time" during the second quarter of 2021, suggesting that Apple will focus on selling through its existing inventory of the device without producing any further units. Launched in October 2020, the iPhone 12 mini features a 5.4-inch display that caters to fans of smaller smartphones, with pricing starting at $699 in the United States.

While production has reportedly ceased, the iPhone 12 mini remains available on Apple.com without any notable shipping delays for now. The device is offered in six colors, including a purple option that went on sale in late April.

Apple is still expected to unveil an iPhone 13 mini later this year, but rumors suggest the 5.4-inch model will be discontinued in 2022.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Production Reportedly Ended Earlier Than Expected Due to Relatively Low Sales

jntdroid

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
They overpriced it.

This is what killed it. And I get it - it's chock full of technology like the 12, and it deserves to be priced higher than the SE. But ultimately the demand for a tiny iPhone wasn't as much as the loud minority made it seem, and the pricing put the nail in the coffin. The 12 is by no means an unmanageable size for most people, with an easier to see screen and much better battery life. The Mini needed to be priced lower to compensate for that.

PS - I loved the Mini when I had it... but I did ultimately change due to battery life. It wasn't bad, but with the 12 I never have to think about it, with the Mini I had to think about it daily.

BGPL

macrumors demi-god
May 4, 2016
California
Right when I was about to sell my iPhone 11 in favor of the mini! I think Apple called it correctly, just too early. Everything runs in cycles, and I believe in a few years there will be a push to go small again. I could be wrong - I usually am.

I have to carry two phones, I wish they were both minis...

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
I only swapped my iPhone 8 because of the 12 mini, 8 was just too big, and I'm a 6ft 3 male with big hands! I hope Apple continue with the mini they are a big enough company to have a product for those who don't want a tablet for a mobile, I want something small for my pocket that works well with 1 handed use. I'm going to guess they still sold millions of these?

vseera

macrumors regular
May 27, 2011
I am 6ft2 and seriously considering the iPhone 13 mini from my 12 pro. The 12 pro is just too heavy and unwieldy, seems like they didn't really use it when they made it. I also have an SE 2020 and a Pixel 4a and it's such a joy to hold those after a while with the 12 pro.

I just hope they can improve the battery life on the 13 mini, as I would hate to give that up. 3 things that would make the mini sell in droves (I think):
- Reduce price
- Put all 3 cameras in it
- Increase battery

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Well, it turns out the masses do not want a smaller-screen iPhone. Oh wait, someone will (or has already) said they would have sold more if they were cheaper which ignores two simple facts: A) people are consistently choosing larger screens and paying more money for them; B) Apple has never chased the low end of the market, always protecting their margins. Like it or not, B) has proven to work for Apple as a corporation.

But sure, Apple is doomed, I am an Apple Sheeple (since 1982), and blah, blah, blah.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2019
Well, it turns out the masses do not want a smaller-screen iPhone. Oh wait, someone will (or has already) said they would have sold more if they were cheaper which ignores two simple facts: A) people are consistently choosing larger screens and paying more money for them; B) Apple has never chased the low end of the market, always protecting their margins. Like it or not, B has proven to work for Apple.

But sure, Apple is doomed, I am an Apple Sheeple (since 1982), and blah, blah, blah.
If it's cheap enough people will buy it though, the SE has a 4.7" screen and its sales have been great. The difference between 700 and 800 dollars is just too small (the SE is just 400). Though I have to admit I also thought the Mini would sell much better, at least in Europe. (In the US and China people just don’t want to buy small smartphones if I understand it correctly.)

MacRumuer

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2015
I love the mini. It fits nicely in my hands, however, my biggest gripe is the battery life. Also I don’t like how it doesn’t have the triple lens. I can do without LiDAR. I would be willing to pay Pro price.

aknabi

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2011
RIP MINI! Such a great device. But overly overpriced

I have a feeling this will be last year Apple will introduce Mini again.

so much American Dollars went into this intro video.

Indeed given Apple's SOP they'll punt on a 13 mini (which is sad as I have the 12 mini and would upgrade if they sorted out battery life)... have friends who wanted the mini... it wasn't the price that was their issue, but rather strong all day battery (Mini users just have to live with a bit of battery anxiety).

But yeah a bit more of a price gap and more batt life would have made for the "perfect device"... at least in my hands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.