Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lemon Olive

Suspended
Nov 30, 2020
The phone many cried out for but nobody bought
Which is why you don't make products based on internet whiners.

The people who would reliably show up to fawn over a small iPhone would forget to mention, "Oh but I won't actually buy it unless it has all of the same features as the Pro Max and it is only $300"

• Haha
Reactions: Apple$

Shreducator

Cancelled
Oct 17, 2020
I remember when Samsung had the bigger phones first and all of us iPhone users put our heads in the sand. Turns out most people prefer bigger screens. To placate mini users to each your own I’m sure you’ll be bummed with no mini moving forward. The market has spoken.

Reactions: mi7chy

cliffster82

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2013
Ticks me off. I absolutely love my 12 mini compared to the 6.1" phones. So much easier to hold and handle and I feel confident going without a case. It's also very durable like the other iPhone 12 line. Frustrating we won't get to stay in the upgrade cycle as I'm going to have to stick with the mini as long as I can. It's just too good to give up.

sharksftw

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
I love my mini. Not too big, not too small. Price is okay too, since it has all the features the iPhone 12 has.
battery is the same as my previous iPhone XS, so I can’t complain.
Im really happy with my mini, so much so that I would buy the 13 mini and stay on it for 6 or 7 years, maybe even longer if there’s not another small iPhone by then

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
I love my mini and the square edges, but what's sad is I picked up my SE1 the other day and it felt so much better in hand.

I'll be getting a 12S / 13 mini on launch.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
How about not calling things you don't really care about selling "Mini" to begin with? Apple doesnt have a great track record updating and giving the best features to the products that end with mini. When the mini's tend to sell more and take away sales from more expensive products, they raise the price on them or do not update them to encourage sales of more expensive products. They should get out of the mini business if they are just using it as a way to have a low retail starting price they can announce to everyone with no real desire of having that product take away sales from the ones they really want you to buy. Why didnt this mini sell well? It had less features than its more expensive brother. If the mini was a smaller carbon copy of the flagship in every way, it would have sold more units. And Apple would have made less money than they can playing bait and switch. People catch on after a while. Thats why on the mac front the current mac mini is doing great, because they accidentally made a product with a good price and great value. Apple will remedy this by offering a much more expensive Mac mini this year that will have less bang for the buck than its cousin. If Apple made the flagship iphone mini an even lower price, the bang for the buck would drive up sales but would take away sales from the top one. If Apple is going to be taking away features to differentiate the flagship product, lower sales is what they get.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
It wasn't timed well. I wanted small screen too as I was upgrading from iPhone 6 but Apple released SE 2020 and it was the perfect upgrade for me so I got it. No way I was going to get the mini few months later.
However, if there was no SE 2020 I would be on the mini now.

I'm sure those that wanted small device did pretty much the same. Maybe 13 Mini I might consider it but I don't like upgrading so early so most likely I won't. Shame as the mini is truly amazing device

Well, it turns out the masses do not want a smaller-screen iPhone. Oh wait, someone will (or has already) said they would have sold more if they were cheaper which ignores two simple facts: A) people are consistently choosing larger screens and paying more money for them; B) Apple has never chased the low end of the market, always protecting their margins. Like it or not, B) has proven to work for Apple as a corporation.

But sure, Apple is doomed, I am an Apple Sheeple (since 1982), and blah, blah, blah.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
They did not. Unless they overpriced the iPhone 12 as well. They are basically the same device apart from size.

The 2016 SE was essentially a smaller 6S, but the 2016 SE was $399, while the 6S was $649.

They absolutely overpriced the 12 mini.

Or maybe they underpriced 2016 SE.

Either way, the 12 mini costs a lot of money, and the unlocked version is an extra $30 just because why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.