Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 12 mini, the smallest variant in the iPhone 12 lineup, reportedly accounted for only 5% of sales for the entire 2020 iPhone series in the first half of January in the United States, according to Counterpoint Research cited by Reuters.

iphone-12-mini-front.jpg

Counterpoint Research indicates that handsets over 6 inches such as the iPhone 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Pro Max outperformed smaller models such as the 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini for the start of this year. The relatively low sales for the 12 mini is expected to be due to a trend in the overall market where consumers are veering away from smaller displays and opting for larger, more immersive smartphone sizes.

Reports of lackluster iPhone 12 mini sales began emerging in early January, and last week JP Morgan analyst William Yang stated in a note seen by AppleInsider that weak demand for the model could result in Apple cutting production entirely in the second quarter of 2021 to allow it to sell through its existing supplies.

Last month Apple reported its quarterly earnings for the first time following the launch of the iPhone 12 in October. While Apple did not disclose specific sales figures for each of the models in the lineup, the company did report $65.60 billion in revenue for its iPhone business alone, a new quarterly record.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Reportedly Accounted for Only 5% of Sales in First Half of January

lupend88

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I have had the Plus/Max variant of the iPhone ever since they started making them. And for whatever reason I was so drawn to the Mini this year. I can say it has been my favorite iPhone ever, I really hope they don't cancel them! Such a joy to hold and it has really helped me cut my screen time down and not be so tied to my phone.

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
I think the pandemic has had a huge negative effect on the Mini's sales. The small size is most important when you're going out. When you're at home, you want a bigger screen to watch videos on the bed or couch.

I want an iPhone 12/13 Mini in the future when I can go out a lot more. For now, I will keep my XR because I'm staying home so much.

Last edited:

Art Mark

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
Oregon
This is all guess work and we have no idea of internal projections. I prefer the slightly larger sizes, easier on my eyes. But I know 2 people who have minis now and feel its the right phone for them.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
Not sure how or if at all this translates to cases of similar users but I’ve been wanting a smaller iPhone for years. IP4 was my favorite form factor. Then the time finally comes only for me to discover based on how I use my phone and what I use on it, combined with aging eyes, I bought the Max.

Sendeky

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2021
Sad for all of the people who love this phone, but it kind of makes sense. Most of the phones I see are usually the Plus/Max phones because people are now are doing stuff like watching movies/Instagram/Facebook on their phones which is easier/more comfortable to do with a bigger screen. Seems like most people don't care about portability and weight and care about screen size and battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.