MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini, which is the smallest iPhone that has been released since the 2016 iPhone SE, may not be selling as well as Apple hoped. According to new sales numbers from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners, the iPhone 12 mini accounted for a lower number of sales than other iPhone 12 models that Apple offers.

cirp-iphone-sales-chart.jpg

Combined, all new iPhone 12 models accounted for 76 percent of iPhone sales in the United States in October and November. The standard iPhone 12 was the best selling model, accounting for 27 percent of those sales.

iPhone 12 mini sales made up just six percent of the total iPhone 12 sales during the launch period, while the iPhone 12 Pro and Pro Max had sales numbers closer to the iPhone 12.
iPhone 12 models garnered a significant share at launch, but with mixed results, as iPhone 12 mini seems to have been lost among the other models," said Josh Lowitz, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. "Apple not only launched a wider range of new models than ever before, and also divided that launch into two pairs of models, so comparison to earlier launches is tricky. In addition, Apple launched a new iPhone SE earlier in the year, further complicating the lineup.
Last year's iPhone 11 models accounted for 69 percent of sales in the period after their launch, so the iPhone 12 models did better overall. In 2019, the iPhone 11 was the best-selling iPhone, accounting for 39 percent of sales, with the 11 Pro and Pro Max making up the remaining 30 percent.
Compared to last year's launch of iPhone 11, which accounted for 69% of sales in the period after the launch, the four iPhone 12 models did even better, with 76% of sales. However, there was no clear leader among the new models, with sales evenly distributed among iPhone 12, 12 Pro, and 12 Max. In contrast, in 2019, iPhone 11 had an incredible 39% of sales, with iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max combining for only 30% of sales.
CIRP speculates that the availability of lower-cost models like the $399 iPhone SE, $499 iPhone XR, and $599 iPhone 11, may have ultimately limited the appeal of the more expensive iPhone 12 mini, which is priced at $699.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Sales Lackluster Compared to Other Models

RaoulDuke42

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2010
Los Angeles
I went from a Xs to a 12 mini and am quite pleased with it. I feel like the mini is going to be a slow-burn sleeper hit eventually, although my evidence is anecdotal. Four friends of mine all thought they wanted the "normal" 12 until they realized the display of the mini is the same width as a 6,7,8, but taller (and yet still a smaller device overall). Once this pandemic finally ends and people can see the things in person, I think a lot of folks coming from a 6,7,8 will go for the phone most comparable in size to what they already have despite the (imho) misleading "mini" label.

Comment

fenderbass146

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
Love my Mini! It's the phone I've been waiting for for years. My only gripe is the choice to do wide angle instead of zoom for the second lense and the battery life. I'm so happy with my Mini especially with how close the mini and the pro are now. The fact that they added OLED to the midrange phones was huge.

Comment

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I knew it! It used to be so fashionable to go around tirelessly complaining that Apple needs to make smaller phones, but this proves it — nobody actually wants that.
Wrong. People love the form factor, they just would rather have decent battery life. I have several friends who have them, and they love it... except for the battery, which isn't really a problem for them because they are coming from an older phone with crap battery life anyway.

Comment

turbineseaplane

macrumors G3
Mar 19, 2008
It's overpriced (for me anyhow)

I'm an original SE1 user and lover and I *should* be in the target demographic for an upgrade, but it's just too bloody expensive to get the 128gb or above I'd need.

I might get one preowned someday, but that's about it for me barring some sales or something.

Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2011
Let's not forget that the Mini came out a month after the 12, and that most carriers were doing 'free' iPhone 12's in November. Even the 12 Pro had better discounts than the mini. I wonder how many people actually paid money for their iPhone 12.

Maybe if Apple actually priced it as the same phone as the 12. Or promoted the fact that it's the 12 but smaller and not missing feature, or if they actually made a flagship 12 mini sized phone.

Love my mini. It fixed everything I hated about the bloated X.

Last edited:
Comment

farewelwilliams

Suspended
Jun 18, 2014
Oh please, there’s barely anything different about them, except the giant camera system that won’t fit into any device except the Max. The mini got an incredible percentage of the flagship features.

That giant camera system is why I bought the 12 Pro Max over the mini.

And no, it would fit. Not in the exact same dimensions, but can easily make the body thicker (with respect to the thicker camera module), make the battery shorter but thicker to make room for the sensors.

Last edited:
Comment

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
put out an iphone 12 mini pro with all the same features as the pro max (except battery life of course) and i'll buy it.

Maybe you have access to a top secret survey no one else has seen, but logically it doesn't make much sense that people are bypassing the Mini for the sole reason that the battery lasts an hour less when all iPhone practically last the entire day on one charge.

Comment

Bug-Creator

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2011
Germany
It's not worth it to cater to the desires of a tiny group of geeks.

6% of all iPhones is how many exactly?

If I was in the market for a new phone, the Mini would be the only option.

But since I keep my phones till they either break (haven't managed to that) or fall out of support (or maybe even a few years longer) I will have to endure the gigantic XR for a few more years (and buy an iPhone15S-Mini if thats an option).

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.