Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A significant number of new iPhone 12 mini owners are reporting Lock Screen sensitivity issues since receiving their phones. The MacRumors forum has a post running several pages describing the issue, and the thread has been shared on Reddit, where more users are reporting similar problems.

iphone-12-mini-front.jpg

Specifically, the problem manifests for most users when swiping up from the bottom of the Lock Screen using their thumb to unlock the device, or when pressing the torch or camera buttons on the Lock Screen.

The display doesn't always recognize the press or the swipe up to unlock. Other fingers seem to have more luck and the sensitivity issues end once the iPhone 12 mini is unlocked.

Some users speculate that the lack of responsiveness could be a conductivity or grounding issue, because there are reports that it resolves itself when the handset is plugged into a wall charger, or when touching the frame without a case.

However, there's no consensus yet on what's causing the problem and whether it's hardware or software related, but hopefully it's the latter and Apple can release an update to resolve the issue soon.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Users Report Lock Screen Touch Sensitivity Issues

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
A significant number of new iPhone 12 mini owners are reporting Lock Screen sensitivity issues since receiving their phones.

Specifically, the problem manifests for most users when swiping up from the bottom of the Lock Screen using their thumb to unlock the device, or when pressing the torch or camera buttons on the Lock Screen.

The iPhone 12 mini has a torch button?

flame.gif

Ordering one now.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Mine is working fine, but it’s my first Face ID device so I don’t really have a baseline to compare against.
If you have a case and no screen protector, it works fine. If have a screen protector and no case, it works fine. It’s when you try and use both at once that the problem shows.

Last edited:

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
If I have to guess it would be the software expecting the finger lower than the screen. E.g. where you would touch it on a larger iPhone. And this causes it to reject most of the swipes.

Edit: Ah, if entering on the keyboard is also affected, the above is probably not the reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: bb9

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I was finally thinking of upgrading from my iphone 7 and this was the one I was interested in potentially, but I am concerned they are trying to put too much (5G for example) into the form factor. I'd be happy with a more pared down all screen mini device without 5G, magsafe, etc. My worry was that all that tech in such a small phone would overheat. It doesn't entirely surprise me that this is the one first showing up with issues.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
If I have to guess it would be the software expecting the finger lower than the screen. E.g. where you would touch it on a larger iPhone. And this rejecting most of the swipes.
This is also affects the ability to enter the passcode. With a case and screen protector on, entering the code with your thumb as you normally would is a no go. If you enter the code with the tip of your thumb or tip of another finger, it works. Same with the swipe. Swipe with the tip of the thumb or other finger and it works.

eric89074

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I don’t have this problem with a lightning cable connected. Once I remove the cable I have issues with the Lock Screen.

Reactions: Val-kyrie

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I was finally thinking of upgrading from my iphone 7 and this was the one I was interested in potentially, but I am concerned they are trying to put too much (5G for example) into the form factor. I'd be happy with a more pared down all screen mini device without 5G, magsafe, etc. My worry was that all that tech in such a small phone would overheat. It doesn't entirely surprise me that this is the one first showing up with issues.
True, but it seems like a software glitch (even if related to some type of hardware / conductivity issue) that is hopefully easy to patch. It’s a nuisance that, if quickly fixed, will be a small blip on what is an incredible phone otherwise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.