Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny907

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2014
Which mini users are having problems while not using a case or screen protector?
My wife, and several others. That's what sent me to the forums last night. Just a case, no screen protector, and the thing only recognizes maybe half the swipes whether it is her or myself trying. Problem disappears completely when plugged in. It's bizarre but definitely happening.

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
iphone-12-mini-front.jpg

Look at those sausage fingers. ? How in the world is a person with such thick fingers using an iPhone 12 Mini!?
You must be 12 years old. Literally zero need for your comment.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
My wife, and several others. That's what sent me to the forums last night. Just a case, no screen protector, and the thing only recognizes maybe half the swipes whether it is her or myself trying. Problem disappears completely when plugged in. It's bizarre but definitely happening.
Interesting. That is the first I have heard of that aspect with just a case.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Steve never made the comment. I don’t know why so many people continue throwing that line out into the water.

While he may never have said those exact words, that was exactly what his outlandish defense was. It was pure Apple arrogance and just as arrogant as "it just works", when the track record since has been the opposite.

Perhaps they should stop making arrogant comments and marketing themes.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
While he may never have said those exact words, that was exactly what his outlandish defense was. It was pure Apple arrogance and just as arrogant as "it just works", when the track record since has been the opposite.

Perhaps they should stop making arrogant comments and marketing themes.
I agree on the marketing comments. The point is those kinds of comments are not productive to the problem at hand.

Reactions: NetMage and robjulo

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That's really weird. I have a case on mine (no screen protector) and the phone's been working fine. FaceID is so quick, getting to the Home Screen is as simple as picking up the phone and swiping. It's pretty much instantaneous for me. I wonder if there's a particular model that's causing most of the issues (i.e.: storage capacity or color).

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
My torch and camera Lock Screen buttons are definitely less sensitive than it was on my X. I assumed it was because they had removed 3D Touch or whatever it was called. Swipe up seems fine though.

Reactions: bigwordbird

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
That's really weird. I have a case on mine (no screen protector) and the phone's been working fine. FaceID is so quick, getting to the Home Screen is as simple as picking up the phone and swiping. It's pretty much instantaneous for me. I wonder if there's a particular model that's causing most of the issues (i.e.: storage capacity or color).
Throw a screen protector on with that case and you’ll see the issue.

Reactions: ricky1989

Charlie pickles

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020

A significant number of new iPhone 12 mini owners are reporting Lock Screen sensitivity issues since receiving their phones. The MacRumors forum has a post running several pages describing the issue, and the thread has been shared on Reddit, where more users are reporting similar problems.

iphone-12-mini-front.jpg

Specifically, the problem manifests for most users when swiping up from the bottom of the Lock Screen using their thumb to unlock the device, or when pressing the torch or camera buttons on the Lock Screen.

The display doesn't always recognize the press or the swipe up to unlock. Other fingers seem to have more luck and the sensitivity issues end once the iPhone 12 mini is unlocked.

Some users speculate that the lack of responsiveness could be a conductivity or grounding issue, because there are reports that it resolves itself when the handset is plugged into a wall charger, or when touching the frame without a case.

However, there's no consensus yet on what's causing the problem and whether it's hardware or software related, but hopefully it's the latter and Apple can release an update to resolve the issue soon.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Mini Users Report Lock Screen Touch Sensitivity Issues
Ive been having the same issue.
After reading this I thought I’d try a few little tests. It seems I can get the torch, camera & control centre to work if I very lightly touch them dead centre of the icons, not ideal!
So now I try with the case off (case is a official apple leather case)
Torch, camera & control centre work perfectly.
Same thing happens when trying passcode, doesn’t work with case on, works perfect without case.
To me this says hardware problem.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
Maybe they have the wrong swipe up code installed for the mini, maybe it’s the max pro code. We’ll see if Max pro users swipe up in the middle of the screen to unlock. If so someone got the code swapped. :p

Reactions: jntdroid

stooie3000

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
I’ve had this issue since receiving my mini yesterday. Was driving me nuts. Swipe up to open would miss periodically and couldn’t enter my passcode. It audibly clicked on pressing the numbers but wouldn’t ‘fill in’ the passcode. Given enough attempts it would eventually enter it and unlock.

Phone was running 14.1 out the box, upgraded to 14.2 - problem persisted. Tried restoring through iTunes (set up as new phone) - problem persisted. I had an ESR full screen protector on along with Apple silicone case. When I experienced the problem this afternoon (couldn’t enter passcode), I quickly took the screen protector off and tried it and it responded immediately and as you would expect. I’ve bought a different brand of screen protector but after reading this expect it may still have issues.

I think the 2018 iPad Pro had a similar issue with screen protectors initially (swipes/taps would go unregistered) and that was resolved with a software update.

Reactions: aylk
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.