Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 12 models could have an inactive wireless charging feature for accessories, according to an FCC filing discovered by VentureBeat's Jeremy Horwitz.

iP12-charge-airpods-feature-2.jpg

In the filing, Apple said that 2020 iPhones support a wireless charging function that will seemingly be enabled for at least one future Apple accessory:
In addition to being able to be charged by a desktop WPT charger (puck), 2020 iPhones also support WPT charging function at 360 kHz to charge accessories. Currently the only accessory that can be charged by iPhones is an external potential apple accessory in future.
Bloomberg's Mark Gurman speculated that one of these accessories could be new AirPods with MagSafe support, which could allow the AirPods case to magnetically attach and charge on the back of iPhone 12 models. It would also be reasonable if Apple's long-awaited AirTags item trackers were able to be charged on the back of an iPhone 12.

Two-way charging was a feature rumored for the iPhone 11 lineup in 2019, but Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo later said the feature was possibly abandoned because "the charging efficiency may not meet Apple's requirements."

Article Link: iPhone 12 Models Might Support Reverse Charging of Future Apple Accessories According to FCC Filing

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Ugh, the battery is bad enough already.

its really not imo. Set up the device as new or try another. It's been great for me.

And this would be optional, assuming it ever sees the light. Doesn't mean you have to re-charge your AirPods case to 100%, just if its dead and your AirPods are too.

Also - Ghostly is a sweet label

--

This would be a sweet feature add with an iOS update for those times you need more juice on the go

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
its really not imo. Set up the device as new or try another. It's been great for me.

And this would be optional, assuming it ever sees the light. Doesn't mean you have to re-charge your AirPods case to 100%, just if its dead and your AirPods are too.

Also - Ghostly is a sweet label

--

This would be a sweet feature add with an iOS update for those times you need more juice on the go
Ghostly or go home!

Reactions: thadoggfather

Adam Warlock

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2016
This is a fantastic feature for Apple to introduce in order to align with their future product line: this way when you buy a $4,000 laptop that doesn't come with a charger in the box they can direct you to purchase a $1,000 iPhone for that purpose. Brilliant!

robinp

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2008
What’s the betting the hole in the back of the MagSafe wallet is for a small airtag to be inserted? Battery may only last a few days being so small but if it is charged whenever attached it wouldn’t matter.

Would explain why the wallet is not available yet. And would explain why there is a strange hole on the back of it.

Reactions: Taustin Powers

Ds6778

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2016
I’m 50/50 with this. It’s a neat party trick, but I can’t see myself using this regularly. I am constantly around chargers and have a few portable batteries as well.

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
Unfortunatley, this would have been a killer feature for the 11 Pro Max. Nothing can kill that phone's battery.
I don’t want to give up my 11 Pro Max for a 12 Pro Max but I’m such a fan boy I gotta upgrade. 11’s battery has been bullet proof. I doubt the 12 will match it even if Apple claims it can.

I do agree with others though, sounds like air tags

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Oh, wonderful. I guess at least all of that wasted heat will be convenient for winter...

utsava

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2004
What’s the betting the hole in the back of the MagSafe wallet is for a small airtag to be inserted? Battery may only last a few days being so small but if it is charged whenever attached it wouldn’t matter.

Would explain why the wallet is not available yet. And would explain why there is a strange hole on the back of it.
Cool idea, but I think the hole is for your finger to be able to slide the cards out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.