Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A number of posts have been removed due to rules violations. Please stay on topic an be respectful

MacRumors Rules for Appropriate Debate:
Respect
Guidelines: Show respect for your fellow posters. Expect and accept that other users may have strongly held opinions that differ from yours. In other words, basic human courtesy.

Rules:
  1. Name-calling. Name-calling falls into the category of insults and will be treated as such according to the forum rules, your own opinion about another member notwithstanding. You can't call a bigot a bigot, a troll a troll, or a fanboy a fanboy, any more than you can call an idiot an idiot. You can disagree with the content of another member's statement or give your evidence or opinion to dispute their claims, but you may not make a negative personal characterization about that member.
  2. Hate speech and group slurs. We prohibit discrimination, abuse, threats or prejudice against a particular group, for example based on race, gender, religion or sexual orientation, in a way that a reasonable person would find offensive.
  3. Taunting. Mocking or taunting another forum member is not acceptable. Posts that ridicule another member or obviously exaggerate or misstate their views (including purposely mis-quoting them) may be removed.

webjeff

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I was looking forward to something more like this concept... I mean, maybe next year. I just hate having to say that each year. When will my fast refresh screen come!?! -- I think they can get there with the edge-to-edge screen.

Attachments

• concept.jpg
    concept.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 189

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I agree with the OP that the bezels are still quite prominent and too thick to call this an edge-to-edge screen.

Reactions: webjeff

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
There doesn't have to be. Have you seen the samsung phones? Edgeless, wraps around... I think they went too far, but even the marketing photos are a tad questionable cause they were showing dark screens that made you think they go all the way... check it out

No way! Next you are going to tell me that Women like to put stuff on their faces and bodies to “improve” their looks, but guess what, it’s fake.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Anyone else kind of disappointed not to see an edge to edge screen? They were VERY careful in the presentation not to really show it.. but now seeing the reviews (after I preordered)... Am a bit upset the pro's don't go edge to edge. Anyone else have the same thoughts?

Nope.

They are slimmer bezels than my XS Max, which I have no issue with anyway; which is good. Nowhere did Apple advertise or say it was edge to edge so had no need to expect it.

Well their language has changed from last year when they did say edge-to-edge. Now they simply say, less bezel, more screen.

Samsung and others have shown it can be done. Apple simply chooses not to...this year.
Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they shaved off another few pixels for iPhone 13 or 14....as a 'feature'.

For now, at least the iPhone 12's bezels are not as hideously thick like the iPhone 11.
And as long as we have the notch, it might stick out even more if the phone was bezel-free.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I have the Silver 12 Pro and the bezels are significantly smaller than the 11 Pro, that’s very apparent. Many people go for the dark phones which make the screen surroundings already look bigger in comparison to the light body.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Thinner than the iPhone 11, but very similar to the 11 Pro.

But comparatively, they are still generally thicker than some Android phones.

It’s subjective. Some don’t mind them. I personally would have loved to see them a tad thinner.

Except android phone still have the big ugly chin at the bottom don’t they? I would rather have slightly bigger but uniform bezels all around personally.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
Except android phone still have the big ugly chin at the bottom don’t they? I would rather have slightly bigger but uniform bezels all around personally.

36FE9B00-C1F7-45D6-BCA0-7DC7A38CA52E.jpeg

91993437-AD31-4D63-AB7E-B1106F1DEFB7.jpeg

Samsung tried really hard with their bezels, to be fair. Note 20 Ultra and S20 Ultra. There is some trickery with the side bezels due to the curved screen. The upper and lower bezels are at least as thick as the 12 Pro. No notch though.

98904580-1BBB-4CF8-8525-3DB057E877FD.jpeg

Google Pixel 5 looks thicker.

Last edited:
Reactions: StumpyBloke

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

Uniform bezels is what is always cited when it comes to Apple iPhones.

But that kind of makes no sense when you throw in a big notch at the top which in effect throws off any uniformity.

And one could argue it’s more intrusive than a slightly thicker bottom bezel found on some Android phones.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Anyone else kind of disappointed not to see an edge to edge screen? They were VERY careful in the presentation not to really show it.. but now seeing the reviews (after I preordered)... Am a bit upset the pro's don't go edge to edge. Anyone else have the same thoughts?
They never hid it in the presentation....

I don't know where you were looking, but the bezels were on full display

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Nope.

They are slimmer bezels than my XS Max, which I have no issue with anyway; which is good. Nowhere did Apple advertise or say it was edge to edge so had no need to expect it.

Actually Apple did call it an edge-to-edge display in the keynote, not sure how they can make that claim when there are very clear bezels

webjeff

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2009
They never hid it in the presentation....

I don't know where you were looking, but the bezels were on full display
The entire presentation had black / dark screens that hide where the bezels are. I think it's just more pronounced in this form factor than when it was curved. The illusion makes it feel dated :/ I'm hoping next year they will address this along with the faster refresh screen.

Also, after using it for a while -- anyone else notice the screen doesn't feel as nice? Not to FUD around here, but my old phone (iPhone X) was smooth to the touch. This 12 pro feels more harsh, almost sticky when im swiping up. Anyone else?!?!

Reactions: Lukkee24 and JM

Cybertox

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2020
Switzerland
The bezels are fine on the new iPhones but they could have definitely reduced the size of the notch, at least slightly. We had the same sized notch since the iPhone X.

Reactions: -BigMac-

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
All those other companies besides Apple can put "better" screens in because they pay $0 for the operating system.

If they had to pay for Android, do you think they'd still price the phones the way they do? No way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.