Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
So if they had to pay loads for Android, they'd put **** screens in their phones?
Yes.

Samsung, OnePlus, Lg(?), whoever... If they had to pay for Android, they would either have to charge more for the phones, or use screens with lower quality.

I haven't looked for recent prices, but aren't the phones at the Ultra-Premium end over $1300 from Samsung, etc.? Those very nice screens can't be cheap.

Sorry to be a buzzkill :( I am not happy with having to spend a lot of money on the best things, either. I do miss the days when Apple's best was $650 (and moreover the days when those were the "premium" phones). When that X was announced at $999, it was all over..... I didn't think people would eat those up, but they did... Now we all have to pay $999 for the BEST Apple phones. I'm surprisingly disappointed with the build materials of the 12 this year (Pro is beautiful, though).

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
The entire presentation had black / dark screens that hide where the bezels are. I think it's just more pronounced in this form factor than when it was curved. The illusion makes it feel dated :/ I'm hoping next year they will address this along with the faster refresh screen.
they've used that dark screen trick since the X to hide the notch ?

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Interestingly the bezels seem to bother me less on the black iPhone 12, because there is no bright border outside of the phone, that draws more attention to the bezels. It all just blends together and disappears, giving all the attention to the screen content.

Reactions: ayuchan and Jetcat3

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Wouldn’t your fingers or hand not interfere with the screen if it was totally edge to edge? The screens look fine to me, not at all disappointed.
I have a Note 8 that is edge to edge and I can verify this. I normally get cases for phones anyway, but the edges responding to touch just by holding the phone made it a more urgent thing for me. The edge to edge does look nice but it is way too easy to get phantom touches on it.

Lukkee24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
London
Also, after using it for a while -- anyone else notice the screen doesn't feel as nice? Not to FUD around here, but my old phone (iPhone X) was smooth to the touch. This 12 pro feels more harsh, almost sticky when im swiping up. Anyone else?!?!
That is one thing I noticed straight away actually, but have now gotten used to it. Maybe its the ceramic shield?

Personally the bezels don’t bother me.. I would much rather have kept last years design tbh, still struggling to get used to one-handed use with the squared off edges.. it really doesn’t feel as ergonomic.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
I am already having a difficult time deciding between Pacific Blue and Gold and then you post a picture of your White iPhone Pro. Now I want the White one ?

Still in awe with my white Xs Max. It looks so good, even after two years. Loving it.

White feels classic Apple to me. Loving the look!

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
All those other companies besides Apple can put "better" screens in because they pay $0 for the operating system.
Yes.

Samsung, OnePlus, Lg(?), whoever... If they had to pay for Android, they would either have to charge more for the phones, or use screens with lower quality.

I haven't looked for recent prices, but aren't the phones at the Ultra-Premium end over $1300 from Samsung, etc.? Those very nice screens can't be cheap.

Sorry to be a buzzkill :( I am not happy with having to spend a lot of money on the best things, either. I do miss the days when Apple's best was $650 (and moreover the days when those were the "premium" phones). When that X was announced at $999, it was all over..... I didn't think people would eat those up, but they did... Now we all have to pay $999 for the BEST Apple phones. I'm surprisingly disappointed with the build materials of the 12 this year (Pro is beautiful, though).
While your point has some validity, those “ultra-premium phones over $1300” have a niceeee profit margin baked into it. Its not so much the cost of the product/r&d etc. but like 70% of the price is the company deciding what price point and profit margin theyre after.
They could easily drop the price by $200 and not really blink an eye. The ACTUAL cost of these screens according to previous reports/teardowns is around $200 or so last i checked. These companies make a profit even after a phone has had numerous price drops and is now 3 years old being sold for half the price. :)

Reactions: JM

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
While your point has some validity, those “ultra-premium phones over $1300” have a niceeee profit margin baked into it. Its not so much the cost of the product/r&d etc. but like 70% of the price is the company deciding what price point and profit margin theyre after.
They could easily drop the price by $200 and not really blink an eye. The ACTUAL cost of these screens according to previous reports/teardowns is around $200 or so last i checked. These companies make a profit even after a phone has had numerous price drops and is now 3 years old being sold for half the price. :)
Profit margins, sure, but that is a separate issue from the "better" screens in the Samsung vs. Apple.

Apple could put a "better" screen in, but they would charge more for it. I think the issue is that Apple uses an "inferior" screen and people are upset because they should get the "best" screen at $999.

the difference in prices has perhaps something to do with margins, but I think the reason Samsung (and others) can charge the same $999 for a smartphone, and have a "better" screen, is because they have Android.

but yes, I agree the profit margins are probably high on all cellphones at the top.

we need more smileys in world ?

webjeff

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Profit margins, sure, but that is a separate issue from the "better" screens in the Samsung vs. Apple.

Apple could put a "better" screen in, but they would charge more for it. I think the issue is that Apple uses an "inferior" screen and people are upset because they should get the "best" screen at $999.

the difference in prices has perhaps something to do with margins, but I think the reason Samsung (and others) can charge the same $999 for a smartphone, and have a "better" screen, is because they have Android.

but yes, I agree the profit margins are probably high on all cellphones at the top.

we need more smileys in world ?
I doubt it has anything to do with the OS cost. Frankly, Android phones have to pay a premium to use the "Droid" name to Disney, that's a nice chunk of change Apple can forgoe. Plus Apple's OS has basically minor upgrades year over year -- granted this year has been a bit bigger than the others with the widgets and all. But the basic OS R&D has been spent and profited on throughout the years. I would almost say they save money by doing it all themselves -- they can make the most optimal system that way.

I wonder why they don't end up making their own screens.

I guess I miss the days when Apple was first to release the retina screen and it was beautiful and ground-breaking. I wish the iPhone had something like that now. Just feels dated to Samsung screens -- although I can't stand Android OS.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
I doubt it has anything to do with the OS cost. Frankly, Android phones have to pay a premium to use the "Droid" name to Disney, that's a nice chunk of change Apple can forgoe. Plus Apple's OS has basically minor upgrades year over year -- granted this year has been a bit bigger than the others with the widgets and all. But the basic OS R&D has been spent and profited on throughout the years. I would almost say they save money by doing it all themselves -- they can make the most optimal system that way.

I wonder why they don't end up making their own screens.

I guess I miss the days when Apple was first to release the retina screen and it was beautiful and ground-breaking. I wish the iPhone had something like that now. Just feels dated to Samsung screens -- although I can't stand Android OS.
There's too much to disagree with ? haha

They paid licensing fee for the old "Droid" phones on Verizon. Hose don't exist anymore. "Android" isn't trademarked, just "Droid".

R&D with iOS is surely ongoing, and they designers to think of the next stuff for iOS, so it's an ongoing expense. Samsung doesn't have to pay people to develop an operating system.

Maybe Apple did think of making screens, but why bother when they can pay others to do it better than they can (evident by Samsung's superior screens).

yes the days of retina screen being mind blowing are missed. It's like Apple settled for "good enough it's great but not the greatest", because again I think they didn't want to price out EVERYONE to pay for those expensive very nice screens we see.

and yeah me too. Those days with Jobs still around and smartphones were in their infancy were great! So much potential and room to grow so every step seemed groundbreaking and exciting. Now it's just.... well.... I don't know how to describe accurately. It's still cool :)

Sorig

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2017
Damn those bezels are still too fat for today’s standards. Not only that but they look a bit off with the flat design.

ayuchan

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2010
Singapore
As a Samsung user with previous edge to edge experience using S9+ and Note 10+, I can confirm that the iPhone bezel ~ even the notch (I just switch to iPhone 12 Pro) does not bother me. I tend to focus on the main screen more and the remaining edges or borders or top get “blurred” out, which has no impact on the visuality.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
There doesn't have to be. Have you seen the samsung phones? Edgeless, wraps around... I think they went too far, but even the marketing photos are a tad questionable cause they were showing dark screens that made you think they go all the way... check it out
Eh I’ve touch Samsung with the edge less displays and I’m not impressed. It’s a none issue to me. I went to the Apple store today and saw the silver. I love how you can peep the silver border around the screen. It’s very high end like jewelry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.