Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jin1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Just got my iPhone 12 Pro and noticed there is an issue focusing objects up close. The object up close doesn't focus with auto focus or when I tap on the object. It will eventually work after multiple tries. Sometimes it flips between focus to out of focus continuously. I've never had this issue with my old iPhone 11 pro. Was just wondering if anyone experiencing the same issue or maybe I just got a defective camera.

I've attached a video below for reference.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
IMG_4256.jpg

Working fine for me

fnsroot

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
Cheers,

I have same issue; for some close objects it seems that the iPhone 12 pro struggles to get the focus right with the default camera app. Attached an example picture which took way to long to get it focused.

AC453A86-72A5-4431-9C27-039F6DB300E4.jpeg

Reactions: ZebraBus

Samut

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
Have you tried how close you can manually focus?

I was thinking whether iPhone is trying to use lidar for autofocus and it might have some minimum distance?

Reactions: compwiz1202

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
I just did a test with manual focus in the Halide app and the minimum focus distance for the standard (Wide) lens is about 8cm. I then switched back to the normal camera app, held my phone 8-9cm away and if focused fine (I had to tap on the object to focus on it.

Make sure your subject is at least 8cm away and tap on the subject if it doesn’t focus. If it still doesn’t focus then you may have a problem, maybe it could be fixed/improved with a software update.

Reactions: G5isAlive

jin1212

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2017
Here is another video showing the issue. I believe the easiest way to replicate this is by moving away and near some texts. Comparing my old iPhone 11 pro with 12 pro side by side, you can easily tell iPhone 12 pro struggles to focus as you move closer to an object. I tried this with both the default camera app and ProCam, so it's not an issue with the stock app itself.

MrLatte

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
I noticed a delay in focus on the 2x camera if I look far off in the distance.

Antonino Lanzarone

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
Hi guys, I write from Italy, I am entering into this debate because I too have the same problem in my iPhone 12 pro, I tried to re-establish the telephone, but nothing has changed I think it is a hardware problem because some on-line recreens do not talk about this problem, what do you think? Is that a hardware flaw or a bug?

Reactions: josiahbarron

RocketFast

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2018
Bora Bora
Hi guys, I write from Italy, I am entering into this debate because I too have the same problem in my iPhone 12 pro, I tried to re-establish the telephone, but nothing has changed I think it is a hardware problem because some on-line recreens do not talk about this problem, what do you think? Is that a hardware flaw or a bug?
I personally think its a bug. Might be some conflict between the Lidar and the software itself. I doubt Apple would knowingly release the phone if it had a hardware issue like this.

Antonino Lanzarone

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2020
I, too, want to think it's a bug unless it's really a lot of sensors from the camera that you're upheld, I don't know if I should let it change from the retailer or wait for some update.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
I have this issue too. There is some focus breathing and then it fails to focus up close. Although if you switch to the ultra-wide or telephoto lens for macro shots, there isn’t a problem. Seems to be the only case with the wide angle? Hopefully a software update can address this.

Reactions: midkay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.