Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Models Have 6GB of RAM, iPhone 12 and 12 Mini Remain at 4GB

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max models are equipped with 6GB of RAM, while the lower-end iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini models have 4GB of RAM, according to plist files in the Xcode 12.1 beta viewed by MacRumors.

These plist files have accurately revealed the amount of RAM in several generations of iPhones, and for good measure, a seemingly legitimate Geekbench result for the iPhone 12 Pro also lists 6GB of RAM for that device. By comparison, the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max are all equipped with 4GB of RAM.

With the increased RAM and a faster A14 Bionic chip, iPhone 12 Pro models should have significant performance improvements. The benchmark result for the iPhone 12 Pro shows that the A14 chip has roughly the same single-core performance as in the new iPad Air, although its multi-core score is significantly lower. This could be due to Geekbench being run on the iPhone shortly after it was set up, which can result in temporarily lower scores, but we'll have to wait for further benchmark results to know for certain.

iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro pre-orders begin Friday, October 16 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time, with shipments starting Friday, October 23. The smaller 5.4-inch iPhone 12 mini and larger 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max are launching later, with pre-orders beginning Friday, November 6 at 5 a.m. Pacific Time and shipments starting Friday, November 13.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Pro Models Have 6GB of RAM, iPhone 12 and 12 Mini Remain at 4GB

Reactions: tranceking26

mi7chy

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2014
On one hand it's good Apple isn't cheapening out on DRAM on flagships but on the other hand the upsell to pricier Pro models. In comparison the $699 Pixel 5 has 8GB DRAM compared to $879 iPhone 12 that has half the DRAM at 4GB.

anshuvorty

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
California, USA
Did the 12 mini notch end up being smaller like the rumors had claimed or is it the same size as the 12 and 12 pro?
The leaks revealed they are just a tiny bit smaller, but that is because the iPhone 12 Mini is so small, that if they kept the notch the same size, then carrier and status information wouldn't have fit on the screen.

Xardas220

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2017
I am interested to know, if the display panels of the 12 pro and the regular 12 are the same - or build the same as I should say. Same pixels, color depth and so... Mhhh, so if there's no difference there's no need for me to choose the 12 pro because I don't use the camera a lot and the stainless steel isn't relevant for me. Battery should be the same if not better on the regular 12 because no LIDAR and 2 GB less memory to power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.