Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Reviews: New Design and Camera Improvements More Compelling During Early Days of 5G

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
11 sims won’t work in the 12. The 11 uses a micro sim. The 12 uses a macro sim.

Of course they will. They have exactly the same SIM setup. 🖐

13508A5A-AB3F-4FF3-B290-C49732FA9162.jpeg

Comment

citysnaps

macrumors 604
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Yet the iPad Pros since 2018 get a 120hz display no problem.

Yup. iPad Pro with its significantly larger size and larger battery over an iPhone, no doubt has better thermals and can handle the additional power being dissipated due to the doubled refresh rate. And still have decent lasting battery capacity.

iPhone is considerably smaller, more constrained thermally, and has a smaller battery.

Comment

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Nope, 5G SIMs are different. You need a new SIM.
You won’t need a new SIM, but you may need a new cellular plan. Only the high-end unlimited plans at Verizon support 5G. All new unlimited AT&T plans support 5G (with different throttling thresholds and personal hotspot allowances), but older unlimited plans, including grandfathered plans, do not. T-Mobile’s unlimited plans support 5G (I can’t speak to grandfathered T-Mobile or Sprint unlimited plans).

Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
But it certainly does not make or break this phone. Calling a phone "pro" is silly anyways (but I get it). Not having some mythically awesome frame refresh rate doesn't make the phone any less usable for those who use it.

And Nilay Patel is still a hack.

I'm sure that there are reasons for the escalation of technology to sell devices, but I usually don't drink the kool-aid.

I remember when a 66 MHz bus was a huge deal and the Wall Street Power Macs were incredible, especially at 292 MHz.

I'd like to believe that getting work done is the most important thing about machines, whether that work is playing games or finishing a flyer for a customer. To that end, few phones aren't capable. I chose a 2020 iPhone SE this time, and haven't had a headliner since the iPhone 7.

OLED is wonderful, especially on a TV, and it certainly makes a great impression on a watch, but is it necessary?

I wonder if there will be a time when you enter the store, tell the clerk what size phone you want, specify display technology, specify processor, specify camera, and leave the store with exactly what you want. Maybe at that point, all the squabbling will end.

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
For those who are concerned about 5G battery life there is an option to force 4G only in the phone settings.

2ECEDFD3-2A1B-4DD4-9A31-9C82D6404B3A.png

Last edited:
Reactions: citysnaps
Comment

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
120hz is nice but it’s just eye candy. When I go from 120 to 60 my iPhone does feel slow at first but the eyes adjust back.

Video is played in 24,30 or 60hz.
So it’s really not that big a deal.

Comment

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Also, don’t the the Samsung S20s come with 120hz off by default?

Just shows it’s not entirely ready yet.

Comment

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
120hz is nice but it’s just eye candy. When I go from 120 to 60 my iPhone does feel slow at first but the eyes adjust back.

Video is played in 24,30 or 60hz.
So it’s really not that big a deal.

Look man, Steve Jobs spent too much time talking about the amazingly smooth scrolling of the first iPhone for you guys to keep claiming 120hz is just useless eye candy.

Look at how far ahead the first iPhones were compared to androids of that time when it came to having smooth animations and user experience.
Now the iPhone has fallen behind because Apple is using outdated display technology.

This time next year everyone on this forum will be talking about how much better the new 120hz display is and how they could never go back.

I got a 120hz display for my workplace the other day and it just feels amazing.
I am not saying don’t buy the iPhone 12 because of this.
But 120hz will be amazing. Biggest improvement in user experience since the Retina display.

Comment

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Look man, Steve Jobs spent too much time talking about the amazingly smooth scrolling of the first iPhone for you guys to keep claiming 120hz is just useless eye candy.

Look at how far ahead the first iPhones were compared to androids of that time when it came to having smooth animations and user experience.
Now the iPhone has fallen behind because Apple is using outdated display technology.

This time next year everyone on this forum will be talking about how much better the new 120hz display is and how they could never go back.

But 120hz will be amazing. Biggest improvement in user experience since the Retina display.
I agree it’s really nice and will come next year. I’m just saying it doesn’t really effect the experience as much as a higher resolution for example.

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
iPhone 12 Pro Max VS Samsung Note 20 Ultra VS Google Pixel 5 CAMERA COMPARISON.

Comment

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
PCMag big review came out last month. Basically 5G is worse than 4G in most locations. It is too bad 5G cannot be turned off. I will not need it for at least another year.
You should be able to turn it off. I thought apple allowed for this? I know with my note ultra 20 damn att won't let me turn it off but other providers you can

Comment

Ramrod82

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010

120hz is nice!! Apple is smart. Nice/semi new design and colors plus 5G. They know 120hz can wait.

Reactions: Taz Mangus
Comment

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I am really glad I waited until this year to upgrade from my iPhone 6S+. Biggest reasons for me to upgrade this year:
  1. The 12 Pro Max is only slightly larger (.12 inches) then my 6S+, with a much larger screen.
  2. The flat edges design that is a throw back to the iPhone 4.
  3. The 3 camera system. Being able to take pictures in low light is huge for me. Plus the LiDAR helping auto focus in low light conditions.
The only downside to getting the Pro Max is that it is slightly heavier than my 6S+. The reason to upgrade became more compelling for me given that T-Mobile is giving me $415 trade-in for my 6S+. Really looking forward to ordering the 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue. I don’t upgrade phones that often anymore.

Oh my gosh, going from a 6S+ to 12 Pro Max! I am genuinely excited for you! When I did this myself (6S to the XS Max) it was a fun geeking out that first week with my new toy. Having a phone in similar physical dimensions, but such a nice large screen, was the best. I was skeptical of Face ID, but I love it now (minus the COVID mask difficulties). And the camera upgrade is even larger for you with the low light capabilities. Enjoy!

Reactions: Taz Mangus
Comment

Klyster

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2013
McKinnon raves about portrait mode, there were so many misses in those shots...blur here, wiped out bit there.

Tack sharp lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbineseaplane
Comment

Klyster

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2013
iPhone 12 Pro Max VS Samsung Note 20 Ultra VS Google Pixel 5 CAMERA COMPARISON.

So this guy went from France and then to the USA just to test three phone cameras?

It's not impossible but highly unlikely, whats more unbelievable is how crappy they all look.

Comment

WiseAJ

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2009
PDX
Sorry, but if you are lowering your mask below your nose, you're the one wearing it incorrectly. Let's not make this "you're wearing it wrong-gate". 😅

That’s the point I was trying to make. Face ID only works with a mask worn incorrectly. No “gate” about it, it just can’t see enough of your face with a properly worn mask. No software update or hardware upgrade is going to fix that unless it can magically see underneath it (maybe an X-ray or heat signature?)

Reactions: darkslide29
Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Core
Dec 15, 2010
UK
So this guy went from France and then to the USA just to test three phone cameras?

It's not impossible but highly unlikely, whats more unbelievable is how crappy they all look.
He's a fake, does it with all new phones when its clearly not those phones

Comment

EchoSierra

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2015
Boston, MA
I am really glad I waited until this year to upgrade from my iPhone 6S+. Biggest reasons for me to upgrade this year:
  1. The 12 Pro Max is only slightly larger (.12 inches) then my 6S+, with a much larger screen.
  2. The flat edges design that is a throw back to the iPhone 4.
  3. The 3 camera system. Being able to take pictures in low light is huge for me. Plus the LiDAR helping auto focus in low light conditions.
The only downside to getting the Pro Max is that it is slightly heavier than my 6S+. The reason to upgrade became more compelling for me given that T-Mobile is giving me $415 trade-in for my 6S+. Really looking forward to ordering the 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue. I don’t upgrade phones that often anymore.

Oh man, I'm making the same switch! I'm not trading in my 4-year old 6S+ though, I'll keep it as a backup. The 2GB of RAM is definitely a bottleneck when multi-tasking, so the 12 Pro Max will be quite the upgrade. Also, the OIS on my camera is tempermental, so I can't wait to get a new phone with more cameras.

Reactions: darkslide29
Comment

Chidoro

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2016
Other than the cameras and 5G radio, what can the iPhone 12 Pro do that my iPhone X can’t? I’m trying to be open minded to an upgrade, but I can’t find a reason to.
Other than the fundamental ways most people use a phone?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.