Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

iPhone 12 Pro Reviews: New Design and Camera Improvements More Compelling During Early Days of 5G

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
As much as 120mhz is subjective as being "killer" or "necessary".

Cell service has never been anything but subjective and location dependent. And as much as where I live, I won't see much of the benefits of 5G (or so I believe), when I travel into those areas that support mmwave or even plain old 5g, I would expect to see a better overall performance than 4G. To me, in my subjective opinion, that is worth more than 120mhz screens. (And yeah, hope Apple includes 120mhz screens in the future as well as touch id in the power button and other features)

Again, I fail to see how 5G is a "killer" feature. It's more of a take it or leave it feature.

Comment

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
The only real review that is important, is the personal purchase review, whereby you determine if the product is worth the money and will meet your current needs. And that review can last 13 - 14 days.

The reviews from the paid professionals is rather meaningless, unless one revels in group think and logical fallacy.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
I just don't get the decision behind this 5G vs 120hz refresh rate choice. I can notice a difference between a 60hz panel and 120hz panel (iPad Pro, S20, Note 20, etc. etc.), so it is just as real as 5G (which isn't actually real in 2020). So Apple would go for a tech (5G) which is a huge battery drainer, very limited availability and use case instead of a variable refresh rate 120hz panel which is also a battery drainer but at least available most of the time.
We'll have to see how see how much of a battery hit 5G will cause. There should be an option to fully switch it off and people can then compare how much difference that makes. There is some balancing in that currently with limited 5G rollout, the benefits of it are equally limited but so will be its impact on battery life if it really is only used occasionally (plus the phone switches to 4G unless something requires higher bandwidth). Then in a year or two, 5G will bring more benefits, which to some degree will coincide with a larger impact on battery life.

Regardless, if the iPhone 12 didn't have 5G, plenty of people (maybe even mainly outside the Apple world) would have complained audibly. Much fewer people are complaining about the lack of 120 Hz in comparison.

Comment

jeffjank33

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2016
We'll have to see how see how much of a battery hit 5G will cause. There should be an option to fully switch it off and people can then compare how much difference that makes. There is some balancing in that currently with limited 5G rollout, the benefits of it are equally limited but so will be its impact on battery life if it really is only used occasionally (plus the phone switches to 4G unless something requires higher bandwidth). Then in a year or two, 5G will bring more benefits, which to some degree will coincide with a larger impact on battery life.

Regardless, if the iPhone 12 didn't have 5G, plenty of people (maybe even mainly outside the Apple world) would have complained audibly. Much fewer people are complaining about the lack of 120 Hz in comparison.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought there was ability to completely turn off 5G and stay on LTE.

Comment

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I’m a big Peter McKinnon fan and I appreciate that he let people know that the photo samples are edited in Lightroom. Would have been nice to include a link to the original photos taken instead of just showing what was manipulated in post. You can make an iPhone 4 or even a Moto G photo look fantastic with Lightroom!

Comment

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
PCMag big review came out last month. Basically 5G is worse than 4G in most locations. It is too bad 5G cannot be turned off. I will not need it for at least another year.

Comment

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
Let us know when you get a few million clicks with each article/video posted? ;)
He's still a hack. His hackiness doesn't depend one bit on how many views I have. In the real world, self worth is not measured by views or clicks.

Comment

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Correct me if I'm wrong, I thought there was ability to completely turn off 5G and stay on LTE.
I pretty much said as much ("There should be an option to fully switch it off."). Not least because on my iPhone 11, I do have the option to switch off 4G.

Comment

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
I think its great that iPhones keep their appeal longer. The first few generations felt like must-have upgrades. I upgraded from a 6S Plus to a X, but had to go from a X to a XR when I had my screen replaced and the replacement failed. So I had the X for 18 months, but could have easily waited until the 11 to upgrade had I not broken the phone.

If I had the 11, I'd probably wait until next year to upgrade. However, since I've had the XR 19 months, I'm going for the 12 Pro.

The XR is still a great device. I could probably hold onto it for another year, but I do miss being able to take portrait photos of various items.

Comment

allseeingi’s

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2019
It’s really not. Unless your one joy in life is watching your phone scroll through menus slightly smoother. Which, if that’s the case, you need to reevaluate yourself. Media is all 24/30/60 FPS, games might take advantage of it but battery life will really suffer.

Main reason it matters on the iPad is for pencil latency. For example, your pencil will be “faster” than your display on the new air, which results in a delay between writing and seeing the motion, albeit a very small one.

Just another one of those things for people to whine about since they can’t find any other reason to dislike the device.
Ooh how dare you use common sense and logic when there are those out there desperate to to be outraged and in a time of unprecedented global disruption. Dragged kicking and screaming to reality , you’ll rot in hell for this 😂

Reactions: gwhizkids
Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
I am really glad I waited until this year to upgrade from my iPhone 6S+. Biggest reasons for me to upgrade this year:
  1. The 12 Pro Max is only slightly larger (.12 inches) then my 6S+, with a much larger screen.
  2. The flat edges design that is a throw back to the iPhone 4.
  3. The 3 camera system. Being able to take pictures in low light is huge for me. Plus the LiDAR helping auto focus in low light conditions.
The only downside to getting the Pro Max is that it is slightly heavier than my 6S+. The reason to upgrade became more compelling for me given that T-Mobile is giving me $415 trade-in for my 6S+. Really looking forward to ordering the 12 Pro Max Pacific Blue. I don’t upgrade phones that often anymore.

Comment

Taz Mangus

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2011
I pretty much said as much ("There should be an option to fully switch it off."). Not least because on my iPhone 11, I do have the option to switch off 4G.

In one of the reviews they showed that there is are 3 new settings to force 4G all the time, auto select 4G/5G and I forget what the third one was.

Reactions: dennisroethig
Comment

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I am really curious...120h hz..how is this 120 hz so important ??? What for, can anyone please explain...

It's probably not important to most people, but for fast moving action, it will likely provide a smoother display of such on-screen elements.

Comment

gwhizkids

macrumors 603
Jun 21, 2013
It's probably not important to most people, but for fast moving action, it will likely provide a smoother display of such on-screen elements.
But it certainly does not make or break this phone. Calling a phone "pro" is silly anyways (but I get it). Not having some mythically awesome frame refresh rate doesn't make the phone any less usable for those who use it.

And Nilay Patel is still a hack.

Comment

hidekigomi

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
120 or 60, I can see if it might make a difference on the use of Apple Pencil on iPad but for phones, I personally don't care but if it is really the blue the pro model comes in, it doesn't look like a premium color, maybe better to be more darker muted blue would have been "better"? "You are going to use a case, regardless," they say then only one color would have done but that's not what the market wants, right?

Comment

magbarn

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Wouldn't most videos i.e. movies still display at 60fps as that is the framerate of their release?
Most movies are recorded at 24FPS. 24--->60fps causes judder on a 60FPS screen whilst 120FPS is divided easily by 24FPS.

When displaying 24FPS on 60FPS screens there's "a disconcerting difference in display time on alternating frames, as is seen in 3:2 pulldown. One frame will stay on the screen for 50 ms, the next for 33 ms, the next for 50 ms, and so on. Some people notice it, others have no issues. "

With 120FPS you're able to eliminate that entirely...

Comment

lazyrighteye

macrumors 68020
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Kind of... 5G is not as widely spread yet and Apple’s own 5G implementation makes it useless (not functioning) with dual-SIM iPhones. They could have easily waited for another year, IMO.
Ha. Can you imagine the fallout if Apple went another cycle without 5G? You though the anti-notch movement was boisterous?
Apple literally had no other option but launching with 5G - even with knowledge that 5G networks aren't ready for prime time. Plus, easier to print fingers at carriers than have all fingers on you for skipping 5G this cycle.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.