Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will complete the second phase of its "EVT" or "Engineering Validation and Testing" stage for its upcoming iPhone 12 lineup at the end of June and begin production of the models in July, according to a paywalled DigiTimes report.

iPhone-12-5G-New.jpg

The wording of the report suggests that all iPhone 12 models will enter production next month, but it is unclear if that will result in all models launching simultaneously. While it is likely that Apple announces its iPhone 12 lineup in September as usual, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo and others have previously claimed that higher-end models with support for ultra-fast mmWave 5G will face a delayed launch due to production challenges.

Specifically, Kuo said that production of mmWave iPhones would be "pushed back" because of antenna-in-package design changes in early April. Lower-end iPhone 12 models are expected to support sub-6GHz 5G.

Apple is expected to release four new iPhones later this year, including two iPhone 12 models with 5.4-inch and 6.1-inch displays and two iPhone 12 Pro models with 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays. All four models are expected to feature OLED displays, 5G support, and a smaller notch, while the two higher models are rumored to gain a LiDAR sensor.

Article Link: iPhone 12 Production Expected to Begin in July

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
mmWave needs additional antenna's, probably why the delay there for those models. Have to say I've been getting a new one every year, but am quite tempted to sit this year out - as I expect there will be little user benefit to 5G (the mmWave is the only thing alot faster and it'll mostly just be in big cities, is short range and can't go through glass or walls) and they'll apparently (since they're using the same QualComm 5G chip as the Android phones) eat the battery faster.

I do like the apparent design change (going back to the flat sides).

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyMom

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2019
I personally prefer the round edges, but to each their own.

I just can't wait for the notch to be gone.

And OLED is prone to burn in, so hopefully this won't be an issue.

Reactions: brgjoe and kiensoy

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I hope these aren’t rushed and have issues. With a major physical redesign and a brand new 5G system I’m wondering if I should hold on the my XS Max for another year. Guess we will have to see how effective Apple’s marketing department is (and if there are any other major changes)

Reactions: decypher44

IIGS User

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2019
I'm looking forward to the the return of the "square" design. I dislike the curved phones. More than anyone ever disliked the "notch", IMHO.

But what are the implications of the delay for the MM wave phones? I don't want to upgrade my phone to something that will be obsolete in 6 months.

Is it specific to carrier, or what? It's my understanding that Verizon was leaning more on the MM wave spectrum while T mobile was more towards the 500 MHZ neighborhood....

The new design is a plus, but the 5G capability is what interests me as far as an upgrade....

Note, I am a VZW sub, but not a terribly happy one. I would probably jump ship to AT&T if the price was right.

Reactions: xpxp2002

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2015
earth
As it seems more and more likely all the 12 models will have OLED displays, I’m glad I pulled the trigger on an 11 last month. (I’m a “cluster” migraine sufferer, so I don’t dare risk an OLED).

Reactions: motulist

DrwMDvs

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2015
I'm still confused. If Verizon Wireless only offers mmWave 5G, does that mean the lower iPhone 12s that don't support mmWave are going to be labeled as 4G phones from Verizon?

• Sad
Reactions: compwiz1202

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
Going to be a great line up this year:
iPhone SE A13 $399 LCD LTE
iPhone 11 A13 $549 LCD LTE
iPhone 12 A14 $649 OLED 5G
iPhone 12 Plus A14 $749 OLED 5G
iPhone 12 Pro A14 $999 OLED 5G/mm
iPhone 12 Pro Max A14 $1099 OLED 5G/mm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.