Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's upcoming iPhone 13 lineup could include some models, such as the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max being offered with as much as 1TB of internal storage; in addition, all models of the lineup are set to feature LiDAR, Wedbush analyst Daniel Ives said today in an investors note seen by MacRumors.

iphone-13-teal-with-text.jpg

Ives made headlines in March with an initial prediction that the iPhone 13 would include 1TB storage options. Apple leaker Jon Prosser had previously predicted the eventuality of a 1TB iPhone. The 1TB option would be double the current highest 512GB offering for the iPhone and bring the iPhone lineup in more parity with the iPad Pro, which is offered in both 1TB and 2TB configurations.

With the iPhone 12, Apple introduced ProRaw, a new format that combines RAW images with iPhone image processing. ProRAW files can be anywhere between 10 to 12 times larger than typical HEIF or JPEG files. For more professional users, such as photographers using the iPhone as one of their daily drivers, the prospect of having a 1TB iPhone could be attractive.

Ives also reaffirms Wedbush's reporting that all models of the iPhone 13, ranging from the lowest-end iPhone 13 mini to the iPhone 13 Pro Max, will feature LiDAR sensors. LiDAR use case is rather limited in its current form, only being used in low-light photography and for augmented reality. Apple has been focusing more on AR in the last few years, and the expansion of LiDAR to all iPhone models could be part of Apple's plan to make AR and the underlying technology needed for it more mainstream.

Reliable Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, however, believes that the LiDAR sensor will remain exclusive to the higher-end iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max.

In the same investors note today, Ives also reported that Apple plans to announce the redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro with Apple silicon at WWDC.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Again Rumored to Feature 1TB Storage Option and LiDAR For All Models

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Can anyone explain to me why a portless phone needs 1TB of local storage? Even wireless sync 800GB iTunes library would take at least half a day. If anything that does not need 1TB storage, iPhone is the one. I just don’t think Wifi 6 can match the transfer speed of thunderbolt 4.
When I go for my next iPhone, I will most likely still pick 256GB option. 1TB is for iPad. Even if Apple decides to hamper lower tier iPhone by giving fewer amount of RAM.
——————————————————
Just notice ProRAW. Still. That’s not really justifiable.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
£2k … wow that’s a huge amount for a ‘phone’ - I’m old enough to remember when you could buy a Mac Pro for that kind of money!

When I upgraded from X to 11 Pro I went from 128 to 256. Rationale was more space for movies (aka dvd rips) and photos/home movies storage.

Truth is that I don’t think I’ve actually touched the sides of the extra storage and with ‘Optimized’ iCloud Photos even a near 1Tb library of 50,000 RAW dslr photos works fine on iphone and I still have >50% storage free.

i’ve not copied itunes library to the device ever since moving to Netflix/ATV+ etc

Granted 99% of the time I have good wifi or 4g so accessing iCloud or streaming has worked fine. I can see some heavy videographers needing much more storage for capture though.
I’m usually one for going for ‘the top spec’ but in thai cass i think for mine and many use other use cases it will be overkill. Good to have the option though. I skilled the 12 but unless there’s a new compelling feature I think I’ll go back down to 128 for the iPhone 13 if it tempts me.

Last edited:

jdavid_rp

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2020
Can anyone explain to me why a portless phone needs 1TB of local storage? Even wireless sync 800GB iTunes library would take at least half a day. If anything that does not need 1TB storage, iPhone is the one. I just don’t think Wifi 6 can match the transfer speed of thunderbolt 4.
When I go for my next iPhone, I will most likely still pick 256GB option. 1TB is for iPad. Even if Apple decides to hamper lower tier iPhone by giving fewer amount of RAM.
——————————————————
Justification: Everyone has their needs. Maybe is someone out there doing films with an iPhone, or doing photo shoots.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
One use case could be as a portable storage unit of course. A super fast SSD of that capacity is near enough a grand alone. Will Apple allow the space to be used in that way?

…. And maybe not with the “13” model range, but further down the road with increased convergence of iDevice and Macs…. Could it bot be conceivable that an iphone can become a portable boot drive for any AS mac. So you can basically plug it into any Mac and securely have all your apps and data there ready to use? A bit like the old PC on an USB stick of old. Could be a handy feature.

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
——————————————————

Because they can charge a top premium for it, and some will pay as they just buy the most expensive model available. Nothing more complicated than that. People may have use for it, particularly filming, but if doing that much so as to need it, I would question their device choice.

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
I totally believe that LiDAR is coming to all models. Especially when Jon Prosser yesterday just shared 3D CAD schematics with the diagonal camera lenses with NO cutout for LIDAR (there was a cutout for the flash and mic, so it is not that the 3D CAD does not contain enough details). I wonder if Jon Prosser or this article is accurate.

p.s. not that I trust Jon Prosser, but the evidence is just contradicting between the two.

Reactions: Captain Trips

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I do wonder how expensive it will be, but man… 1TB on an iPhone?! I’m happy people will have the option. I’m good with my 128GB.

With streaming and the cloud, I also wonder how many people will buy it and if it’ll have more RAM.
Hell, I’m good with 32GB. I have the iCloud subscription so the pictures get transferred to the cloud, and I don’t use enough apps regularly to fill out my phone. The only things that fills up the storage are podcasts and I don’t even download them ahead anymore and they get deleted after listening anyway.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I do wonder how expensive it will be, but man… 1TB on an iPhone?! I’m happy people will have the option. I’m good with my 128GB.

With streaming and the cloud, I also wonder how many people will buy it and if it’ll have more RAM.
Although I’m not planning on getting an iPhone 13, when I do buy a phone I always go for the largest storage capacity, so I would get the 1TB. Reason being, I prefer having all my files and media library locally saved as much as possible, and my data collection is constantly growing, so there is pretty much no such thing as too much storage capacity on a device for me.

wesley96

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Maximum storage on iPhones have consistently doubled every 2 to 3 years. That there would be an 1TB option is not at all a surprising thing.

12 Pro / 11 Pro / XS: 512GB
8 & X / 7: 256GB
6S / 6: 128GB
5S / 5 / 4S: 64GB
4 / 3GS: 32GB
3G / 1: 16GB

Notice the 2-2-3 pattern. Given that a bigger storage option is an easy money grab for higher-end units as far as Apple is concerned, it would be highly unlikely that the the Pro models of this year's iPhone won't come with double the storage.

That being said, I am eagerly waiting for this upgrade solely on the storage options alone. I realize I'm in an extreme minority, but I do not trust iCloud for storing photos. Thus I have more than 138,000 photos and 2,100 videos shot with the phone on my 11 Pro taking up 448GB and leaving only 22GB of space left. I've been able to leave the photos on the Camera Roll since the 6S days thanks to the storage expansion keeping up with my growing collection.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Maximum storage on iPhones have consistently doubled every 2 to 3 years. That there would be an 1TB option is not at all a surprising thing.

12 Pro / 11 Pro / XS: 512GB
8 & X / 7: 256GB
6S / 6: 128GB
5S / 5 / 4S: 64GB
4 / 3GS: 32GB
3G / 1: 16GB

Notice the 2-2-3 pattern. Given that a bigger storage option is an easy money grab for higher-end units as far as Apple is concerned, it would be highly unlikely that the the Pro models of this year's iPhone won't come with double the storage.

That being said, I am eagerly waiting for this upgrade solely on the storage options alone. I realize I'm in an extreme minority, but I do not trust iCloud for storing photos. Thus I have more than 138,000 photos and 2,100 videos shot with the phone on my 11 Pro taking up 448GB and leaving only 22GB of space left. I've been able to leave the photos on the Camera Roll since the 6S days thanks to the storage expansion keeping up with my growing collection.
Can't wait for the 8TB iPhone in 2031

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.