Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DisplayMate today awarded the iPhone 13 Pro Max with its "Best Smartphone Display Award." The device earned the company's highest-ever display performance grade of A+ and set or matched 12 of its smartphone display performance records.

iphone-13-pro-max-display.jpeg

iPhone 13 Pro models feature a new Super Retina XDR display with ProMotion, which is Apple's branding for a variable refresh rate between 10Hz and 120Hz. This technology allows the display to refresh from a power-preserving 10 times per second to an ultra smooth 120 times per second depending on the type of content that is on the screen.

One of the records that the iPhone 13 Pro Max set was highest full-screen brightness for smartphones with OLED displays, according to DisplayMate's in-depth analysis. Apple says the iPhone 13 Pro Max has a max brightness of 1,000 nits for typical content and 1,200 nits for HDR content. By comparison, the iPhone 12 Pro Max has a max brightness of 800 nits for typical content and 1,200 nits for HDR content.

Other records set or matched by the iPhone 13 Pro Max include highest absolute color accuracy, highest contrast ratio, lowest screen reflectance, and more.

Samsung is the exclusive supplier of the LTPO OLED panels used for the iPhone 13 Pro Max, according to Display Supply Chain Consultants, but LG is reportedly aiming to begin supplying Apple with LTPO OLED panels as early as next year.

DisplayMate extensively tested the iPhone 13 Pro Max's display, so make sure to read the full analysis for more details.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Pro Max Earns DisplayMate's Best Smartphone Display Award

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SFjohn

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
Produced by Samsung, calibrated for color accuracy by Apple.
You are completely wrong. These are 100% screens made according to technology developed by Apple. They have nothing to do with Samsung, except that Apple is hiring them as the final contractor. The same screens are produced for Apple by several other companies, including LG.
Apple is brighter, has a different coating, has a different color scheme.
Not many people know about it, but Apple has powerful laboratories dealing with screen technologies.

the future

macrumors 68040
Jul 17, 2002
You are completely wrong. These are 100% screens made according to technology developed by Apple. They have nothing to do with Samsung, except that Apple is hiring them as the final contractor. The same screens are produced for Apple by several other companies, including LG.
Apple is brighter, has a different coating, has a different color scheme.
Not many people know about it, but Apple has powerful laboratories dealing with screen technologies.
Exactly. The displays are „from Samsung“ in the same way the A15/M1 chips are „from TSMC“.

Jakewilk

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
iPhones with OLED displays use PWM, therefore they automatically are garbage and should not be winning any awards.

Shame on Apple for using PWM in their displays.

Shame on MacRumors for never reporting about this as being a major issue.
PWM preserves OLED panel lifespan, so it’s kind of a fact of life for OLED screens unless you want them to degrade quicker

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I was comparing my iPhone 11 Pro Max to my new 13 Pro Max, and the 11 Pro Max actually looked better.

Especially at an angle, my 11 Pro Max stayed white while the new 13 Pro Max got darker and less white.

The 120Hz is noticeable if I look for it, but otherwise it doesn't stand out to me when scrolling.

iPhone 13 Pro Max on the left, iPhone 11 Pro Max on the right.
2021-09-28_11-26-38.jpg

iPhone 13 probably going back. Not impressed by much about it. The hard edges are not as comfortable as the rounded, thinner edges of the iPhone 11.

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
My 13 Pro has the best display I've ever seen, it really blew me away. Coupled with the 120Hz VRR it's incredible, worth every penny.

Also I compared it side by side with my wife's 13 Mini and I do notice the difference the 120Hz makes, the 13 Mini felt a bit choppy. I think if you don't let yourself get used to it then it's fine.

I just wish the new MacBook Pro's had a 120Hz VRR OLED display.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Yes, under a different name called Eye Comfort Shield. I turn off both True Tone and Eye Comfort Shield since I don't like everything looking piss yellow.
Same with the blue filters. Makes your expensive phone look like crap. My daughter leaves it on all the time. Some people just don't care what their screen looks like.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
My 13 Pro has the best display I've ever seen, it really blew me away. Coupled with the 120Hz VRR it's incredible, worth every penny.

Also I compared it side by side with my wife's 13 Mini and I do notice the difference the 120Hz makes, the 13 Mini felt a bit choppy. I think if you don't let yourself get used to it then it's fine.

I just wish the new MacBook Pro's had a 120Hz VRR OLED display.
Curious what phone you had before the 13 Pro?

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
Good to know. A brighter screen outdoors is better. My 12 Pro Max screen is very good but outdoors in bright sunshine it could be brighter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.