MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung will be the exclusive supplier of LTPO OLED displays for the "Pro" models in Apple's iPhone 13 lineup later this year, according to TheElec.

Apple's rumored adoption of LTPO display technology would allow it to implement a 120Hz refresh rate on the higher end next-generation iPhones, as today's report notes:

iphone-12-120hz-thumbnail-feature.jpg
Samsung Display will be the exclusive supplier used by Apple for organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels used in the two highest tier models of its next iPhone, TheElec has learned.

Both models of iPhone 13 will use low-temperature polycrystalline oxide (LTPO) thin-film transistors (TFT) OLED panels made by Samsung Display.

Apple's iPhone 13 will have four models and all of them will use OLED panels. The top two models will use LTPO OLED that can support 120Hz refresh rate.
A previous report pegged both LG and Samsung to supply the technology to Apple for the iPhone 13. According to the latest report, however, LG will focus on increasing its capacity this year in order to start supplying next year, with Apple planning to use LTPO OLED displays for "all its iPhone models" in 2022.

Other reports have suggested the technology will be coming to at least two ‌iPhone‌ models in 2021, while display analyst Ross Young expects the "most important development" on the ‌iPhone 13‌ Pro models to be the adoption of 120Hz-capable ProMotion displays with variable refresh rates, something that has only appeared on the iPad Pro so far.

Multiple rumors ahead of the launch of the ‌iPhone 12‌ lineup suggested the high-end iPhone 12 Pro models could feature 120Hz ProMotion displays, but later in the rumor cycle, it became clear that this feature was delayed until 2021 due to battery life concerns.

Using LTPO technology would allow Apple to deliver a much more power-efficient backplane, which is responsible for turning individual pixels on and off on the display. Depending on how Apple decides to take things, the technology could pave the way for longer battery life or always-on display elements.

Apple Watch Series 5 and Series 6 models already use LTPO displays, which enables them to have the same up-to-18-hour battery life as earlier Apple Watch models despite having an always-on display.

Article Link: iPhone 13 Pro Models to Use Samsung LTPO Technology for 120Hz Display

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
I don't know what all the fuss is about with this feature. I have 120Hz on my iPad Pro and I get that as the display is so big...but does it really make that much of a difference on a small device?

On top of that, it sounds like a battery drainer and that's the last thing I want on a mobile device. The iPad is fine as the battery is so huge!

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I don't know what all the fuss is about with this feature. I have 120Hz on my iPad Pro and I get that as the display is so big...but does it really make that much of a difference on a small device?

On top of that, it sounds like a battery drainer and that's the last thing I want on a mobile device. The iPad is fine as the battery is so huge!
yes it is and for me is noticeable no matter what size the display is.

with LTPO it is not a battery drain either. the pro models battery life should be no worse.

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Excited for this. I love my 2018 12.9” iPad Pro. I think we all have been waiting for iPhone Pro-Motion for some time.

The rumors are looking good for this year’s models!

Reactions: Jetcat3 and jeffirl
Comment

h3ysw5nkan

macrumors 68000
Aug 17, 2016
the next rumour will be "but they are gonna switch to mini-LED 5 days after the launch event".

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
very nice, but i honestly see very little difference between my iPad Pro’s 120 refresh and that on the iPhones. It will not affect my purchasing decision. I doubt most consumers will care about it either.

Comment

contacos

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin

I sold my 10.5 iPad Pro and replaced it with an iPad Air 4. I have yet to notice the missing ProMotion

Comment

EmotionalSnow

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
I wouldn't count on Apple bringing Always on Display to the iPhone, it makes sense on a Watch but I doubt Apple thinks it's worth the battery drain on an iPhone.

I'm a bit excited for 120 Hz though, even if it is not that big of a difference.

Reactions: TheYayAreaLiving
Comment

certen

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2015
Only people who play games on their phones would notice or benefit from this
Supposedly it helps the pencil feedback on the iPad and obviously that won’t be the case for phone users

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Only people who play games on their phones would notice or benefit from this
Supposedly it helps the pencil feedback on the iPad and obviously that won’t be the case for phone users
huh? has nothing to do with gaming. yes some games will be ideal to take use of this but this is about a far smoother experience scrolling and using your phone UI.

With how good animations are on IOS 120hz will be even better on the iPhone I imagine then even other phones out there with 120hz.

some might not care but I struggle to understand how people don't notice a difference

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
the next rumour will be "but they are gonna switch to mini-LED 5 days after the launch event".
Seriously doubt that. Apple isn't going back to LCD for phones. Mini-LED is backlighting tech for LCD panels.
What? o_O

“Low-Temperature Polycrystalline Oxide, or LTPO, is an OLED display backplane technology developed by Apple
Apple did develop LTPO for the Apple Watch. First appearing in the AW4... with all the associated patents. LG made the small AW screens for Apple. As stated in the article, they don't seem to have the capacity for the larger screens. Samsung later developed an LTPO tech that reportedly avoided Apple's patents. I think it's more likely that Apple contracted with Samsung to deliver the Apple version of LTPO since it would make no sense to license Samsung's.

Comment

jacks64

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2017
Brighton,UK
I really cannot notice the difference in refresh rate between my 2018 iPad Pro and my iPhone 12 Pro Max or my previous 11 Pro Max and XS Max.It's all completely overhyped if you ask me 🤷‍♂️

Comment

David Rodgers

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2020
I really cannot notice the difference in refresh rate between my 2018 iPad Pro and my iPhone 12 Pro Max or my previous 11 Pro Max and XS Max.It's all completely overhyped if you ask me 🤷‍♂️
That’s what happens when you design all of your animations to be buttery smooth at 60hz 😄 it will make slight differences to scrolling text but you’d have to be whipping along a fair pace anyway.

Reactions: jacks64
Comment

Captain Trips

macrumors demi-god
Jun 13, 2020
What? o_O

“Low-Temperature Polycrystalline Oxide, or LTPO, is an OLED display backplane technology developed by Apple
I did a search on LTPO displays (Duck Duck Go) and found multiple hits for articles / pages saying Apple developed LTPO and multiple articles / pages saying the Samsung developed LTPO.

I don't have time yet to look into this further (about to start work), but it will be interesting to see just what involvement in developing LTPO as a whole, or specific LTPO screens, that both Samsung and Apple have had.

Reactions: amartinez1660
Comment

Tulani

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2012
Thought it would also be time to acknowledge the pivotal role Samsung plays in Apples business besides the trash people generally love to dish up to them?

Comment

The Game 161

macrumors Penryn
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Thought it would also be time to acknowledge the pivotal role Samsung plays in Apples business besides the trash people generally love to dish up to them?
They are good for each other some people just refuse to accept that I guess. without samsung apple would have no need to try....

Comment

h3ysw5nkan

macrumors 68000
Aug 17, 2016
Seriously doubt that. Apple isn't going back to LCD for phones. Mini-LED is backlighting tech for LCD panels.

You missed the reference/joke.

giphy.gif

Look for recent articles about iPad Pro display.

Screen Shot 2021-01-06 at 8.21.08 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: DanTSX and alpi123
Comment

black_knight

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2021
I posted a link from a Forbes article about 120hz the other day and I had a mob come after me with pitchforks basically telling me to go to hell.

Low and behold, Macrumors posts this today 😂😂😂

Reactions: DanTSX
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I sold my 10.5 iPad Pro and replaced it with an iPad Air 4. I have yet to notice the missing ProMotion
Weird. You should read the iPad forum with those who upgraded, and the first immediate difference is ProMotion with how fluid it is, even ‘non-techies’ can differentiate how much more of a difference the 120Hz displays make. For you to say that you have yet to notice the missing ProMotion, makes me wonder if you even knew what ProMotion was to begin with.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I posted a link from a Forbes article about 120hz the other day and I had a mob come after me with pitchforks basically telling me to go to hell.

Low and behold, Macrumors posts this today 😂😂😂

I saw that article. The problem with Forbes, they just regurgitate other information that’s already been posted or they just copy/paste. They’re not really even a source from my standpoint.

By the way, MacRumors has always been traditionally late when they post anything Apple related news, 9to5 Mac is typically first by two days.

Reactions: Jovijoker and Homme
Comment

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
I thought the same until yesterday when I played with a 120Hz display phone for the first time (OnePlus 8T). It's absolutely striking to see and definitely makes a huge difference in the visual fluidity. It's so good it almost makes Android usable 🤣

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.